Turn-thread 1400BC: We're alone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zwelgje

Deity
I decided to stay sober this time so you can expect some serious attempts to come up with witty remarks this time. ;)
This is what the empire looks like now:

1900BC
The orders as given by the wise people that make up our government were executed as voted on.
Good news: Our wise men discover writing and guess what? Monarchy was available to research next! [dance]
Some people thought Dellham was really boring, they picked up their stuff and left, it seems another group of bored people are preparing to do exactly the same! :eek: Dell, do something about it your people are leaving as fast as they can reproduce!
At the same time the legion reports they have found the end of the continent, only the chariot is in the position now to discover the blackness that lies beyond...

1850BC
The chariot reports it has found the end of the continent too...we have a confirmation: we are alone here!!!

1800BC
Reneaux was founded by the people who left Dellham it is reported that the people there aren't having any parties at all, they really weren't the party-animals of Dellham everybody held them for. Only when Elvis came to the rescue people were satisfied. They can party, until the arrival of a unit to hold back the rioters...
People in Marl Downs aren't happy either, Elvis visits the local bar on a daily basis until a settler is build.
People in Little Nemo are unhappy, the warrior which was on its way to Elysium returns home and people are satisfied again, Elysium has to wait a few more turns until Little Nemo has build another unit.
People in Dellham are unhappy, Elvis will cheer them up until the legion arrives.

1750BC
ThunderFalls builds warrior and starts settler

1700BC
Holy ****!! Indians start Colossus! Bad news people...
Legion arrives at Dellham and people are content again!

1650BC
It's official now, we're the happiest civilization on the face of this earth, I'm jumping from excitement. :D
The chariot arrives at Reneaux and the people are content, they better be, those guys in their chariots sure know how to end a riot...
A warrior is completed in Little Nemo and it's on its way to Elysium, Little Nemo starts production of settlers

1500BC
Wise men discover pottery and continue on monarchy, they've apparently gotten sick of those dirty bastard despots. Who can blame them?
Production in RC switched from Colossus to the Gardens where you can Hang out with your friends. (ya know I'm sayin')

1400BC
Marl Downs builds settlers.

Stuff that needs to be decided on:
Very important: Indians have started Colossus, do we let Elysium finish it with the chance the Indians catch up or do we build it in RC?
What will we do with the settler in Marl Downs?

That'll be it folks.
You're free to go now.

Keep Collosuss in Elysium and stockpile some cash so if needs be we can rush buy if we get the dreaded "..... has nearly completed ...." message. I can see a few nice spots on the continent, it's reassuring we'll be having them to ourselves (barring trireme landings).

Just picked out a few possible city sites, for fun if nothing else. Feel free to point out my stupidity ;).

Attachments

• cityspots1400.jpg
    cityspots1400.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 167
Relief is on it's way -- The Hanging Gardens will be completed in ... 250 years I guess, so our grandchildren will enjoy it! We have not a single city with anyone content, guards everywhere, extra guards in some cities. Monarchy is almost solved, another 7-8 turns (2-3 turns after HG), then oedo...

We had a public gathering in Little Nemo, and my campaign speech was received by a cheering throng. Read all about it, Dell19 tells me he saw the duke o' york taking notes and smiling.

Regia Civitas has the same two guards, same old Elvis. The Whales are producing 5 per turn, HG is 176/200. Woo hoo!

Stats: 180,000 people in 7 cities, F5 $8 -0, Sci 11/10, F11 Mfg=19 shields per turn, Family Size = 5.3, #1 in Population, Manufacturing, Land Area, Life Expectancy, and Productivity. Very good, citizens! Those roads are all working for our future greatness!

Marl Downs has a Phalanx and a Settler, building Settler 0/40, producing 1 production and one support, grows in 16 turns. Seems the Settler should DASH off and build a city, maybe one road, maybe not.

Little Nemo grows in 3 turns, has a warrior guard and one warrior out on manoevers. Workers prefering the road to the forest, Settler 10/40 in about 16 turns, fewer with $8 soon and again.

Elysium has an Archer and Chariot guard, very stout. Workers on Whales and Silk, Colossus 60/200 in 47 turns, production 3 and 2 waste (at the moment, Monarchy will alleviate that). Grows in 17 turns, no riot expected; the existing 2 guards are fine. There is a warrior nearby we can use for ... what?

Dellham Settler 20/40 in 10 turns, grow and riot in 7 turns, but IPRB $4 or $8 and HG will cover that. I doubt it will riot.

Reneaux has 2 guards, a warrior and a chariot, size 1, Settler 2/40 in less than 19 turns.

ThunderFalls, 2 guards, size 2, workers on roads, Settlers 33/40 and complete in 4 turns. At that moment, there will be 15 food. But there is a critical problem here : There are now 3 supported units. With the Settler 4, and we'll loose something! Somehow we must quickly shuffle units. Can Dellham take over support of the Legion now? Other ideas?

We have a Settler ready in Marl Downs, a great spot because it's close to RC as the crow flies. We have 5 Settlers in production, and 2 wonders. The TFalls Settler would be completed soonest, but ...

Mordheim, the city sites near Marl Downs and Dellham need the most immediate attention. Did you overlook the River Mouth Site, an excellent one for many reasons? More on that later...

Peace, happiness, and domestic development lie ahead! Our future enemies are growing jealous ... but they will all grovel before us! We can begin to think about Trade.

The units that said they were near AI cities were. The cities just happen to be on different continents. So, we know the AI is close, so we can't let our guard down.

We should still delay RC from building HG. It needs to stay available in case Elysium can't get the colossus done in time. Having it where we build it (in any city) is much better than the AI getting it.

We have a slight headstart on the Indians for the Colossus, and our production will significantly pick up with the imminent arrival of Monarchy so we needn't worry too much for the time being. If we can get Trade as the next tech then we can start to IPRB caravans and put them a long way behind us. :goodjob:
If we're stuck for something to do with the warrior that has turned up unrequired by Elysium then we have the option of converting him into 5 shields by disbanding (;)) or he can go and sit on the river mouth city site for the arrival of the next Dellham settler. He could even go to the 2 whales spot awaiting the settler from Little Nemo.
Apart from the pesky Indians then I am happy with this turn but things will start to accelerate when we get the HG in 5 turns. I don't want to wait on it as we can then get far more cash in case we need to PRB the Colossus anywhere - as we had to last game. :(
One thing to consider (despite the fact that no-one seems to want to be Military Advisor) would be to slow Indian construction of the Colossus simply by declaring war on them. We can still put up a decent fight with our chariots and legions so this is also an option but we'll need a boat.

Originally posted by duke o' york
despite the fact that no-one seems to want to be Military Advisor)
How about Ren?
He was military advisor in the previous demo game and seemed to have lots of fun blowing the opponents to pieces. ;)

Well mordheim has accepted his nomination but Duke is undecided as yet. Didn't Ren say that he wouldn't have as much time this month when he was nominated for something else?

Great turns though civ1-addict. I'm getting nearly as excited as GaryNemo (for whom everyone must vote) and want more turns all the time! :) I was sure that he hadn't spotted me doodling when he was giving his address at Little Nemo but apparently he did. Oops. :o

Citizens, we begin our invigorating conversation anew. This is a Deity game, so Hanging Gardens without delay. Switch to Monarchy, first available oedo year. And Settlers, Roads, Cities: Domestic stuff. Consider Trade. With Trade, it seems on the surface possible, to build Colossus easily before the foolish Indians, maybe in Regia Civitas, surely in Elysium.

My first concern is the Warrior near Elysium. Right now, it is costing us one support at Little Nemo, delaying a Settler. We don't have Caravans, but can DISBAND the Warrior into the Colossus this turn. We get 5 credit for our 10 production, but there is more. Little Nemo is loosing production supporting this unit. So, we get another 2-3 production in Little Nemo by disbanding the warrior this turn, and gain a turn on Colossus.

Jayne wants to build a Diplomat, a good idea. Where, I'm not sure. The HG will change things, and so would 6 new cities! Still, we can squeeze in a Dip somehow. How about Marl Downs, which is near land? Or would you rather Reneaux to build our #1 Diplomat? Jayne's TFalls idea is interesting, but the Dip would have such a long walk, and I feel there are other solutions to the TFalls Support problem.

We need a good plan regarding the support problem at TFalls. And also where, closeby, to site the Marl Downs Settler. And whether or not to build the Temple of Regia Civitas before beginning another Wonder. Do we research Trade after Monarchy? Is the TFalls Settler going to dash down and found 2Whales (named Civvium, already polled iirc).

Citizens, these plans are vital, and a good venue for you to display your merit to the our populace, and help our Nation on to Greatness at the same time! Saving us all much hot wind! :)

I'd like to ask all advisors to post polls on various issues ASAP. I want to do another set of turns this saturday and I want as many people as possible to have the opportunity to vote on the polls.
If you post them tomorrow people will have only one day of voting and discussing which I think is not enough, so please make the polls now. :)

I think Marl Downs is my preferred choice to build a dip. I think I'm right in thinking that as it is slightly apart from other cities we're more likely to have a barb ship sail past which we could bribe.

Another choice is perhaps sending a dip to the northern peninsula to meet and greet anyone who decides to sail past there. I think we can be pretty sure an AI will eventually sail past there. but I think I prefer my first option.

Gary - could you include dips in your next build queue poll. :)

The trouble would be that the AI is unlikely to send out an empty ship and the units would probably land and kill our dip. If he's stationed in a city then he can wait until the barb horsies have landed and then bribe the ship. Remember that a dip can bribe even if the target is on a mountain and he has 1/3 movement left that turn. :)
I'd like one on the northern side of the continent and one on the southern. The advantages of putting a dip on the peninsula Jayne mentions would be that a bribed boat would be most likely a NON because of the enemy cities on the other side of the water, and that it would already be on the right side of the continent to explore the Indians. :goodjob:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom