City Plan

GaryNemo

Settler from None
What to do with the new Marl Down's Settler? Something immediate, productive, and that will fit with a future Grand Plan. I'm sleepy, but here is a diagram with marked coordinates that we can discuss. Anyone who cares to explain or question my dreaming, feel free to post your mind.

In the South, the 2Whales City, Civvium, and the F2 and F3 plans. RM, River Mouth, has always seemed important to me, since Bridge Building is far off and we'll need to harvest Caravans quickly off the River System on their way to Elysium or Regia Civitas. The ghostly outline of the 4Special Iron Site. Marl Downs, a future Giant. J1 J2 and J3 which I am not comfortable with just yet.

As I studied Mordheim's plan, I thought many features could not be improved upon. I wished for something different, but kept returning to M1 and M2. His city M1 is clearest, and M2 follows. What I labeled B2 is actually Mordheim's M3, a fine future site. I had mentioned the G1 site earlier, but no longer prefer it. The G2 site has better prospects. On the River, I have no preference yet among R3 R4 R5 or R6. I'm going to sleep on this idea: M2 G2 M1 B2. If we choose M2, there is no obvious Road site, so it may be best to dash and build M2. I hope there is a completely different, better plan. For example, this is a plan for all Large cities -- there may be a better plan with fewer Large Cities, but more quickly productive cities. Comments?

I agree with Duke. M1 should be the site used. And I think
the next settler from Dellham should found the Iron City, as
we're going to need a city with serious production capability
soon.

Er, there is a road on the Grassland Shield directly North of Marl Downs. But I agree, M1 is an interesting site. We could move up and build it without wasting a moment to build a Road. Then both it and MD would begin new Settlers. Speed Settling means more $Science. I still prefer one Road and M2 though. Anyone thinking all of the Barbarians have moved to another planet?

Shame it's not convenient to build a Road on a Grassland Shield on the way to M2. Walking an extra 2 turns up and back seems prohibitive to me.

Iron City is too far away now. We have many other close sites, and are about to get Monarchy -- meaning -- irrigate one square then make that settler build a half dozen roads. Regia Civitas is about to desperately need Roads.

Yes, M1 is the best choice taking into consideration traveling times.

Can I also suggest another possible site, J4? Build on the forest SE of J1 (first irrigating to plains of course). It gets a nice bit of grassland and that fish special.

M2 is my choice, with the next city founded at M1.

Can Marl Downs build another settler before building anything else?

If it can, seen the the settler to M1 and send the next settler to M2.

M1 is a great city site and I won't complain if that's the final decision. One reason I like M2 is that it's 2 turns closer than M1. Another is that it's on the way back to the other cities. I'll really want our cities connected by road when the first trade caravans start rolling.

Earlier I thought build it ASAP, but now I agree with Ainwood that the settler should build some road before founding a new city, maybe even take the time to fully connect MD and M2 (assuming we decide M2), since another settler will be traveling from MD. I suggest placing this road straight N, eventually in a beeline toward M1.

Assuming M2, I also suggest MD and M2 build settlers to found G2 and M1, then M1 build settler to found B2.

Building Iron City with the Dellham settler ASAP sounds good. River Mouth ASAP would also be good. Perhaps IPRB the Reneaux settler, because if we pick the fast Monarchy path, Reneaux will only produce 1 shield/turn for the next 6 turns

On barbarians: my experiences give me the suspicion that they have their own spies, as they always seem to know which of my cities are the least well defended ... :)

I think M1 is the better city site, and important to get a city established there, but we are alone so little chance of squatters, and M2 is closer, meaning can be built sooner and also keep cities connected easier. As M2 is in the middle of plains, it will need some roads built before it is founded so it can help produce some science, or it will gain us very little.

Top Bottom