Screenshot of the Day #30: Zero Pop City

Thunderfall

Administrator
Administrator
Today's screenshot reveals that building a new city is not as instantaneous as you think it is... For a split second the new city is size zero!

My system was getting bogged down enough to show the stuff normally unnoticed. thought this zero population city in the making would give everybody a chuckle. This stayed on for about 3 minutes so I grabbed it.

http://www.civfanatics.com/sotd/

Thanks to Stanley Rexwinkle for the submission.

what kind of unit is that? i've never seen that unit before.

It's a settler.

When my computer gets really bogged down I'd see the 0 pop city when I settle for like a second or 2 then the settler would disappear and the city view is brought up.

oh, man! i didn't even know there was a modern settler animation... has there always been one or is it part of a patch? just goes to show that i only play just to test things...

I think I've seen it once... but I never really noticed the modern settler animation.

This isn't news, that happens every time you settle and the Cultural area include and pops a Goody Hut. The Settle Animation stops for a while and the 0 is shown until the text dissapears and the settle animation can continue.

And sween? You havn't seen the Modern Settler before?

You know there is a Modern worker right?

well yeah, you need workers in modern times. but there's never any room in my games to bother with settlers. i get more cities by conquering anyways.

That has happened to me before. I always wondered why the zero is red. How can a town with no one in it be starving?;)

CG

Yep, I know that. I've remaked the "0" population the first time I built a cities.

Did anybody notice the cultural boundaries? They look kinda odd and I can't tell why it's like that. It looks like a bubble of Culture for some odd reason. But the city that is being settled would produce culture all around, the the other cities obviously don't produce enough culture to hit those squares plus they would also hit the other squares around it since they are viable ownable squares... eh.

- Dave

Originally posted by Grey Fox
And sween? You havn't seen the Modern Settler before?

You know there is a Modern worker right?
There're modern settlers??? :crazyeye:

I'll go take a look. I know about modern workers, but settlers?

I had this happen once, too. But this is even better! :D

In this screenshot, I am founding my first city. This time it is the luxury pop-up which keeps the city at size 0. But look at the income per turn! :eek:

Too bad I didn't see any of it. :(

Attachments

• size0city.jpg
    size0city.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 789
Now THAT's a screenshot of the day. :D The other one I see very often.

The culture, like the population, will "normalize" after a brief wait. I don't know why the culture border around a goody-hut-included city does that, but it is brief, just like the 0 pop.

-Ben

Originally posted by sween32
well yeah, you need workers in modern times. but there's never any room in my games to bother with settlers. i get more cities by conquering anyways.
Settlers are always needed :p

Originally posted by Grey Fox
Settlers are always needed :p
i beg to differ. All the valueble land is taken in the modern age. I'd rather attack Persia for it's oil then get that tiny island with a horse that i don't need anymore.

i beg to differ. All the valueble land is taken in the modern age. I'd rather attack Persia for it's oil then get that tiny island with a horse that i don't need anymore.
Who wants a AI placed city anyways? ;) But in that island case yes... (Btw, I place my cities denser then the AI)

Well, when you raze the Persian's city, you need a settler to colonize the ruins and get the oil. (Actually, my play style doesn't involve much razing).

Tis' true that razing a city is for the impatient war monger, more cities are always needed if not for you... for trading.

Top Bottom