Screenshot of the Day #38: Ghost Culture

Thunderfall

Administrator
Administrator
Today we present a paranormal phenomena first sighted by joespaniel. In this screenshot, the Americans were destroyed by the evil English, but part of their culture remained to haunt the English!

Upon making first contact with the English in occupied American territory, I aquired their world map. About 30 turns earlier, the advisor informed me that "The Americans have been destroyed!". Now I know by who. ;) Then I noticed something weird. The former American cultural borders still appeared on the mini-map, even though they were gone! Ha! I've never seen that bug before.

http://www.civfanatics.com/sotd/sotd38.jpg

Thanks to joespaniel for the screenshot.

PS: I probably should have saved this SOTD for Halloween. ;)

Makes you think twice about totally wiping off another civ ever again.... NOT. :) Ghosts or no ghost, if they have to go, they'll have to go.

Very strange; I think just a glitch.

Maybe this should be how the game should work? A dead Civ with culture and a chance for a city to flip and the Civ revive until all formal culture is gone? ;)

Originally posted by Dark Sheer
Maybe this should be how the game should work? A dead Civ with culture and a chance for a city to flip and the Civ revive until all formal culture is gone? ;)

:eek:

Ah I disagree, that wouldnt be fair to us warmongers... ;)

yeah they have to implent this is the game :) more realistic i think when you conquer a city the rebels will still be on the plains.

Or sumething like that

May be because you bought this map from English?
Interesting, should result of own scounting be same or no...

Originally posted by RufRydyr
What mod are you using? The terrain is pretty cool.

Snoopy's terrain mod with special irrigation graphics.

You can download them in the Civ3 Graphics forum. :)

Well, when a territory is conquered by another civilization, it's allways in the rural areas that the native culture lives for longer.
So, there you go: Civ is looking closer to real life... ;)

It happened to me when I was against the americans also but it was in my borders :confused:. It dissapeared when my culture expanded though.

That's amazing....unlike anythign I've ever seen before!

Maybe the mini-map forgot to refresh cultural boundaries.

Originally posted by Sakura
Hmm, I get this all the time, I thought it was just a normal bug in the game. My game must be really bugged up :D
My guess is it's a monitor refresh rate problem. :)

Cool ghost bordering. That'd be cool to have in my games when I destroyed civs.

Thunderfall, out of curiousity, when was this SOTD sent to you?

Had a Civ that floated around for ~150 (30+ turns, IIRC) years with no cities. Eventually one was founded, but it was rather odd.

I've seen it happen for a couple of turns, but never that long. Guess that'd be a gypsy Civ.

It's some graphic glitch - I wonder if it has something to do with the kind of monitor that you have. On my old computer, whenever Civ3 would switch me to 1024X768, there'd be a loud sound, but now on the new one, it doesn't have the loud sound. I wonder if it's something like that...

Originally posted by BitPoet
Had a Civ that floated around for ~150 (30+ turns, IIRC) years with no cities. Eventually one was founded, but it was rather odd.

I've seen it happen for a couple of turns, but never that long. Guess that'd be a gypsy Civ.

That happened to me once too - the Persians. Just walked around and explorered with their settlers. Amazing that no one picked em off. They hadn't made a city by 1000 BC so I picked em off myself.

Sometimes civs don't establish their cities the very first turn. I saw the Persians early in an edited game and on the first turn, didn't do anything. I picked them off the next turn

Top Bottom