Screenshot of the Day #41: We Surrender!

Thunderfall

Administrator
Administrator
When the AI realize resistance is futile, they simply give up!

I was playing a game a few days ago and fighting a war w/ the Greeks and I've gotten them down to one city that's been there for a while. When my troops gain sight of it, there is a spearman in it. On the next turn, when my troops are in striking distance, the city is abandoned and the Greeks just let me walk in and finish them off. I've never seen the computer surrender like this before. It really took all the joy out of victory.

http://www.civfanatics.com/sotd/sotd41.jpg

It's probably a smart thing to do... If you can't win, the least you can do is annoy your enemy. :D Thanks to Myartar for the submission.

I just had a similar thing happen! The last city had 5 spearmen. I unloaded my troops next to the city, and 4 spearmen came darting out! (away from my troops!).

Then again, I had 2 just-acquired cities from another civ that were undefended.

Yeh it happened to me once before. Perhaps it's because the Greeks have 0 treasury, and a negative cash flow so on the next turn they had to disband their military unit to pay the debt.

It seems like on the last thread the conclusion was that it was because of a treasury deficit....my money is on that being the reason here as well.

Maybe the AI thought the cause was lost, and loaded the Spearman on a Galley with a Settler, off to lands unknown.

One thing I don't get in that screenie; why do all the units have so many hitpoints?

:confused:

You modded it so?

Originally posted by -proletarian-
One thing I don't get in that screenie; why do all the units have so many hitpoints?

:confused:

You modded it so?

Yep, the HPs are modded. I had a formula for how I did it, but I don't remember it anymore. I did that right after 1.21f came out I think.

Originally posted by SirJethro
It seems like on the last thread the conclusion was that it was because of a treasury deficit....my money is on that being the reason here as well.
I don't think so. You are allowed to have a number of units that require no support cost (except in a Democracy or a Republic).

The AI frequently leaves its unimportant cities unguraded. When I moved computers, and had to reinstall Civ3, I took advantage of the exploit where a ruler pays gold it can't afford. When I took all the cities from that trade, they were all unguraded and it was a nervous few turns while they were cranking out military units.

I once saw the AI abandon the last defender in it's last city, after I'd been harassing that city for a while. It's true, it took the joy out of wiping them out. and they were destroyed, as soon as I walked in there. I hadn't checked to see if the civ was in democracy/republic at the time, so if they were the support cost thing might explain it. Weird, though.

I like that Winamp there at the top-left corner. I should also keep it there that way as I also like to listen my own mp3's as I play. Thisfar it has just been on the background but one can clearly use the Always on Top -mode. Thanks for the idea. :)

I didn't notice that! Thanks for pointing it out ZeroOne. It's amazing people notice those small things. :)

Originally posted by Der PH

What's your experience with that many HPs? It surely takes a lot of time to heal wounded units.

Yeah, sometimes it does take forever to heal but, it just increases the need for barracks in your cities. That makes things work a lot better. Battles take forever later in the game when, you have Modern Armor attacking Mech. Infantry.... Even worse w/ Modern Armor Armies attacking Mech. Infantry Armies... They've normally got over 150hp by then.

Originally posted by ZeroOne
I like that Winamp there at the top-left corner. I should also keep it there that way as I also like to listen my own mp3's as I play. Thisfar it has just been on the background but one can clearly use the Always on Top -mode. Thanks for the idea. :)

Yeah, that works great! Clicking on the Winamp bar will normally make the toolbar pop up, so you can see what song comes on as you click through.

Top Bottom