Screenshot of the Day #49: Desert Iron

Thunderfall

Administrator
Administrator
In an earlier SOTD, we saw global warming turned a coastal tile into desert and created a desert fish. In today's SOTD, global warming turned a hill into desert. Is there anything global warming can not do? ;)

After a large nuclear war, and all effected grasslands since converted to desert, I noticed something peculiar around my former French capital, Paris. Could it be? Is that Iron on that flood plain tile??? How can that be??? The before pic shows that the Iron used to be on the hills but somehow the hills got transformed. None of the other hills in the game changed. Must be a bug of somekind.

Thanks to Barry Adams for the screenshot.

Originally posted by joespaniel
Good lord! :lol:

I've NEVER seen that much desert from global warming.
Same here. That sun is bloody!!! :D:crazyeye:

It must took 100+ nukes to reach that level...

I've seen it. In Falcon's version of the first demogame after the final save. :) He nuked everything in sight!

Originally posted by Thunderfall

Same here. That sun is bloody!!! :D:crazyeye:

It must took 100+ nukes to reach that level...

Yeah! :yeah:

There is no polution in the screenshot, but I dont see many cities left on that other continent either... :mwaha:

I turned a sun red once and it just causes massive global warming. Having lots of city pollution adds to global warming, too. It would be nice to have a unit that can convert hills to plains. Didn't civ2 have an engineer that could do that?
:nono::nuke:

That just makes me wonder: if you chop down all the jungle in the map (this is theoretical) before you get coal, does it appear on grassland? :)

CG

Originally posted by cgannon64
That just makes me wonder: if you chop down all the jungle in the map (this is theoretical) before you get coal, does it appear on grassland? :)

CG

Yes. The computer remembers what was originally there. Same thing works for forrests.

Originally posted by RufRydyr

Yes. The computer remembers what was originally there. Same thing works for forrests.

I thought that would be the answer. I never tried it, because it is very hard to cut down ALL jungles/forests before Industrial age.

On-Topic: I guess global warming has taken over erosion's job...;)

CG

Well, yes, there were more than 100 nukes launched. I already won diplomatically, but the game was so interesting (when there were 7 civs still left) so I continued to play. At the point just before the nuclear war, every civ had all the techs, I had 80+ ICBMS, Egypt had 22 ICBMs and some tactical nukes, America had maybe 7 ICBMs and tactical nukes, the Zulus had a couple of ICBMs. Only the Egyptions had the SDI so I quicky destroyed that city and unleashed my arsenal turning that other cityless continent into a polluted wasteland. After the nuke party, maybe 30-40 global warmings occured per turn. I continued to play while wiping out the Egyption and American cities using 2-3 nukes a turn to wear down the units still hiding inside as my mobile armor tredged through the pollution to raze their remaining cities. The screenchot comes 38 turns after the first devestating salvo of ICBMs. At this time, no more tiles are being converted to deserts since there's nothing left to convert. It's all desert, flood plains, hills, tundra and mountains.

Made me think that one could make a nice post nuclear war scenario by taking a map similar to this, add pollution to more tiles and start everyone from 0 tech again. Sort of an after the war rebuilding your civ campaign.

Oh and those 11 spices you were salivating over were the result of having 16 civs on a standard map. They're the only spices on the map.

Originally posted by badams52
Well, yes, there were more than 100 nukes launched. I already won diplomatically, but the game was so interesting (when there were 7 civs still left) so I continued to play. At the point just before the nuclear war, every civ had all the techs, I had 80+ ICBMS, Egypt had 22 ICBMs and some tactical nukes, America had maybe 7 ICBMs and tactical nukes, the Zulus had a couple of ICBMs. Only the Egyptions had the SDI so I quicky destroyed that city and unleashed my arsenal turning that other cityless continent into a polluted wasteland. After the nuke party, maybe 30-40 global warmings occured per turn. I continued to play while wiping out the Egyption and American cities using 2-3 nukes a turn to wear down the units still hiding inside as my mobile armor tredged through the pollution to raze their remaining cities. The screenchot comes 38 turns after the first devestating salvo of ICBMs. At this time, no more tiles are being converted to deserts since there's nothing left to convert. It's all desert, flood plains, hills, tundra and mountains.

Wow. I'm guessing, at that point, you weren't looking for a clean victory, and just toying with nukes?

CG

Made me think that one could make a nice post nuclear war scenario by taking a map similar to this, add pollution to more tiles and start everyone from 0 tech again. Sort of an after the war rebuilding your civ campaign.

As a matter of fact I think there is a custom scenario that fits your description in the Customizations Forum. It has something to do with mutant civs.

Cool idea - a kind of Civ III meets "A Canticle for Leibowitz." One could borrow elements from the book, and have a Laredan civ, Texarkana, and so on. Spaceship launch for Alpha Centauri is also very appropriate.

I like to play with nukes sometimes. :nuke:
FYI: If you drop the nuke on a tile right beside a city instead of on the city, you get the same effect, but the roads/railroads remain intact on the other side of the city.

Cool...iron on plains. I'd love that. That would either require some heavy modding or to insanely launch a barrage of nukes - which I don't do.

There is a lot of cities producing wealth - what level is that on? That kind of thing looks like something of my games - set it all on wealth after I'm done building every improvement + building a sufficent unit defense.

ruf ryder: true, and the city still has it's population intact, but i wanted to create a barren wasteland where roads fail to exist.

hbdragon88: level was regent with accelerated production which is why it's still 1880. Most cities have all improvements which is why they're on wealth.

Speaking of nukes, anyone ever have this happen?

You have SDI, and your enemy shoots at you with a tac nuke. Your SDI picks up the tac nuke and gives you the message, but your units get destroyed anyway?

It happened recently to me. Slowed my advance for a turn because this ended up giving them back a city I just took and I lost about a half a dozen units I needed to replace.

Maybe a bug glitch? Anything bad that happens to me is usually aggravated. The Egyptians launched nukes because I did ROP Rape (unintentional), the AI insanely was sabotaging production, stealing military plans, techs, and maps, and exposing spies, because I roped everyone into a WW3, like.

Top Bottom