Screenshot of the Day #54: Resource Depletion

Thunderfall

Administrator
Administrator
I'm sure we've all seen a strategic resource get exhausted and then that same resource appears somewhere else in our territory a split second later. But I've never seen these idiots exhaust my iron and a split second later find iron in that same square. Well, I guess there is a first time for everything.

http://www.civfanatics.com/sotd/sotd54.jpg

What a joke! :D Thanks to Yaniv for the screenshot.

This happens ALL THE TIME in my games. I just figured it was something wrong with my CD. Thanks for sharing..

This happens to me quite often too.

Sometimes the game is a little premature in losing its lode.

It never happened (that I noticed) till I installed PTW and I've noticed it twice since! It always re-discovered on another appropriate terrain square nearby.

this happened in 66% of games i played.

EDIT: Normal posters are NOT allowed to use the mod tag. Next time you do that you will get a vacation. -- TF

sorry Mr. TF
I didn't have my vacation this year
And I didn't mean anything bad...just some refreshment

This just happened in my GOTM game. I had connected the iron to my cities and started to build swordsmen for my big war. ;) The moment the iron disappeared I thought my whole strategy would go to hell, but then, it appeared again! So could start to whip out some of the others.

I posted extensively on this when i noticed that I almost always cna rely on my iron coming back, but my saltpeter never. Was way back with 1.16, still is the same in 1.29. Also, i find that in games started on my PC there are few leaders, while *.sav from other players will have a 1/16 ratio as claimed by Firaxis.

I almost never got a settler from a goodie hut. I know about all the tricks to get one (no settler in production, no settler around, etc.) but I still get barbarians most of the time. :mad: Perhaps some games are just better then others.
(Or its just my own feeling, remember the bad, forget the good ;) )

Jura: I can't help but feel that somehow, the game is system dependednt. My GF plays, too, and the games she starts are quite different from mine in all RNG dependent features :(

Off topic: Whereabouts in Germany do you come from?

Yes.
In fact, it happened SO OFTEN in my games (11 times IN A ROW in the same game) that I ended thinking it was a new feature of a patch :)

11 times in a row!? Wow. I've had it happen, but not that often. :)

i always thought that resources reappearing on the same square was more a function of map size than any other factor. I usually play small and standard maps and my impression is that this occurs much more frequently in these games than in the few games ive played on large and huge maps.

joycem10: I once did a test and sumthinelse(?) did some more where I found some games where the iron kept the spot repeatedly despite over 50 eligible ones......

there goes my theory...

interesting - id like to see what firaxis has to say about resource depletion.

You think that's weird?

I recently conquered the world on a game and was just messing around in the game with some things, and I was watching resources appear and disappear.

I had this one aluminum resource jumping between the same four areas. It would run out at one location, turn up in another, and a few turns later, run out at the new location only to show up at the old location again! Then it would cycle through this again, disappearing from this location and going to another and then coming back several turns later. Damnit is there aluminum there or not!?!?! Stupid prospectors.

I think the computer predetermines which areas a resource can appear and it simply cycles between these 4 to 5 locations for each resource and if you let them go enough they hit every location at least once. The choice is random but its always one of those locations, even if you have about 40 potential squares it could be on.

The reason that resources disappear and the reappear is because there must be at least one of each resource type per player in the game. I think this feature was added in the 1.21 patch. This explains why we haven't seen it in the past.

Still, I have never seen it happen in the same square.

Top Bottom