Tutorial: Adding new civs and UUs in PTW

Bamspeedy

CheeseBob
Post #1 out of 2
First I would like to thank Montezuma for providing the basis for this in this thread:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21622

I thought I should re-word some of the things to make it easier for new modders to understand it easier and to add a few changes that take into account for PTW. I will not describe how to actually create the art files, because frankly, I don’t know how. This is a tutorial on how to install a new civ from leader heads and units that you have downloaded off of the internet. Often times, people will have thier game crash because they are missing 1 file or 1 line of text, or 1 typo.

Tutorial: How To Add Extra Civs and UU’s in PTW
---------------------------------------------
Important General Rules
1. Note, that the limit for extra civs equal 7 (total civs number = 31). Number of them is hard coded in color palettes.
2. BACKUP FILES BEFORE ALTERING! (I like to make a copy of my entire Civ3 folder).

Changes in your civ3x.bix file
-----------
In this example, the file/scenario will be called ‘31 civs’, the Civ is the Inca and the UU is the Axeman. Whenever an art file (for the civ) is referred to I will either call it either Inca or AT, depending on the file. All UU files I will call ’Axeman’. You should not change the .flc filenames for the UU, because the filenames should all be mentioned in the .ini (?) file (the 1 file that has a little yellow gear in the corner), and changing the .flc filenames may cause problems. These names and letters are Very Important to get them identical, otherwise they won’t work, even spaces will sometimes cause errors (Axe man vs. Axeman). The names and letters in my example you will have to change for whatever civ/UU you are adding.

With PTW, you can either use the C:program Files--> Infogrames Interactive-->Civ3-->Civ3PTW-->Civ3x file (this makes any changes permanent), but I prefer going into the Civ3PTW-->Civ3xedit file and creating a scenario. And name the scenario ‘31 Civs‘.
EDIT: I recommend to NEVER change the civ3x file, only make changes in the civ3xedit file and save it as your own scenario. One reason is if anything goes wrong, and you can't figure out what went wrong, you'll have to re-install the whole game. Second reason is because if you install any patches, the Civ3x file will be overwritten and erase all of your changes! ANY change you make should be done in your own scenario folder. You can copy .txt files and such and place the copy in your folder to serve as a start from where to make the changes from.
Then when you go to Civ3PTW-->Scenarios folder, create a folder called ‘31 Civs’. This folder will allow you to put all your art and .txt files and they won’t affect the normal PTW rules at all. This will also enable you to play normal PTW games before you get done adding in all the units/civs and getting done with all the changes. Also in the Civ3PTW-->Scenarios folder you will have a copy of the ‘31 civs’ editing file (.bix) file that you had saved for setting up the 31 civs. Open up the 31 civs.bix file. Go under Scenarios and click ‘custom player data’. You can then go into scenarios…scenario properties. Give the scenario a title and description. Then put ‘31 civs’ into the scenario search folders. This tells the program to look into this folder first to find art and .txt files. If the file is not in that folder, then they go to the default PTW folder and look for the files (and get all the original graphics for the normal default civs). You can then increase the # of civs that will be allowed to play at one time in this scenario.
Click ‘apply’ and close that box.
Then go to the Scenarios and click ‘custom rules’. Then you can go to Rules and select Edit Rules. Go to the ‘Civilizations’ tab and select ‘Add’. Give the new civ a name, fill in the various other fields for attributes, noun, adjective, build preferences, king units (I just use some other civ’s king unit), leader name and title, aggression level, culture group, city lists, Great Leader lists, etc. Choose a color for the civ, making sure no other civ is using that color (I went and drastically changed everyone’s colors starting at the top color and working my way down, so I wouldn’t get confused and have multiple civs with the same color). Then go in the lower left and enter a forward and reverse file name for EACH era. Most leaderheads that you can download use a similar format. For example:
Art\Flics\AT_A01.flc (forward, ancient era)
Art\Flics\AT_A02.flc (reverse, ancient era)
Art\Flics\AT_B01.flc (forward, middle ages)
Art\Flics\AT_B02.flc (reverse, middle ages)

Note: AT refers to the Incan leaderhead files (make sure no other civs are using the same letters), then A, B, C, D refer to different eras, and the 01, or 02 refers to whether the .flc file is forward or reverse. Make sure that the filenames match up with the files you downloaded, otherwise change the names so they do match EXACTLY. I have downloaded some art files that had most of the files using ‘BR’, but one art file was labeled ‘BS’, which is Bismark’s letters, so I changed that one file to ‘BR’, otherwise I would have seen 2 Bismarks! :mad:

Put an entry in the civlopedia entry box so the program knows where to look for your civ when asked for it.
Example: Race_Inca

Then go over to the ‘Units’ Tab. Click on ‘add’ and give the new UU a name and fill in the civlopedia entry box. Example: PRTO_Axeman
Fill in all the other stats and abilities (hold the control key down while selecting the attributes to allow you to select multiple abilities). for the UU. Select the icon that will be used to represent the UU in the build queue. I just use the icon I can find that most closely resembles it. It is best, though if you can find a units.pcx file that has 100’s of units on them so you have more choices. I believe there is a units.pcx file in the C &C forums, that has 480+ units on it and it is PTW compatible.
Make sure you select the Incans (or your civ) as the only civ that can build it, and that the ‘starts Golden Age’ ability is set. And have all the proper ‘AI strategies’ marked for offense, defense, etc.
Make sure it is in the proper upgrade path and the ‘upgrade unit’ flag is marked if the UU is upgradable.
The upgrade path for units further down the line (forget about axe man for now) works like this:
Horseman-->Mounted Warrior-->Knight-->All Knight UU’s, with the last Knight UU upgrading to Cavalry. The Knight ‘upgrades’ to the Keshik, the Keshik to the Ansar Warrior, the Aansar Warrior to another ‘Knight UU’ and this continues on and on until you get to the last UU that upgrades to Cavalry. I would add the UU somewhere and make sure that both the unit before it ‘upgrades’ to your UU, and your UU ‘upgrades’ to what the previous unit in that chain was to upgrade to. This is confusing because there is only one line for what a unit can upgrade to , so that is why the UU’s that are all replacing the same unit (like the Knight), upgrade to each other. The program just goes down the chain of upgrades, and obviously would bypass the other UU’s since your civ cannot build them.
Cycle through all the other units and select/unselect which units your civ can/cannot build (like the UU’s for the other civs, scouts, and the unit that your civ’s UU is replacing).

Where to put the art files. Create an ’Art’ folder in your 31 Civs folder if using your own scenario. You will need to create some other new folders if putting these in your own scenario folder.
You should have 1 file in the art/advisors folder
AT_all
2 files in the art/civlopedia/icons/races folder
IncaLarge
IncaSmall
2 files in the art/civlopedia/icons/units folder (if you have them, otherwise copy from some other files and change the names, these are just the pictures that show up in the civlopedia)
AxemanLarge
AxemanSmall
8 files in the art/flics folder
Art\Flics\AT_A01.flc
Art\Flics\AT_A02.flc
Art\Flics\AT_B01.flc
Art\Flics\AT_B02.flc
Art\Flics\AT_C01.flc
Art\Flics\AT_C02.flc
Art\Flics\AT_D01.flc
Art\Flics\AT_D02.flc
10 files in the art/leaderheads folder
AT
AT_ANG
AT_CONQ
AT_CONQ_L
AT_CULT
AT_CULTB
AT_HAP
AT_KIS
AT_SHAP
AT_SKIS
And create a folder for in the arts/units folder called ‘Axeman’.
Put all the animation and sound files in this new folder.

Now it’s time for civlopedia entries!
Create a text folder in your 31 Civs folder. Make a copy of the civlopedia.txt file from the Civ3PTW-->Text folder and place the new copy into your Civ3PTW-->Scenarios-->31 civs-->Text Folder. Open up the civlopedia.txt file and begin adding in these lines where appropriate (you should be able to tell where they go and to follow examples from other civs/units that were posted in the civlopedia.txt file):

#PRTO_Axeman
^
^
^An Incan city must have $LINK<iron=GOOD_Iron> in its $LINK<Strategic Resource=GCON_ResourcesS>
to build an Axeman. They replace the $LINK<swordsman=PRTO_Swordsman> and are much faster.
#DESC_PRTO_Axeman
^
^
Additional historical facts about Axeman or whatever you want to write here, blah blah.

Note: the #DESC_PRTO_Axeman line is used whenever you want a page break. Some descriptions may get too long for the civlopedia screen.

#RACE_Inca
^The Incas are $LINK<expansionist and industrious=GCON_Strengths>. They start the game with
$LINK<Pottery=TECH_Pottery> and $LINK<Masonry=TECH_Masonry>. Their unique unit is the
$LINK<Axeman=PRTO_Axeman>.
^
^ Since the Inca combined much Aymara mythology with their own, their origin myth is obscure. The most common belief is
that the legendary founder, Manco Capac (who seems to have been a historical figure), brought his people from mountain caves
to the Cuzco Valley.
^ During the early Inca period (c.1200-c.1440) the tribe gradually established its hegemony over other
peoples of the valley and under the emperor named Viracocha (the name also of the supreme creator in Inca cosmology) allied
themselves with the Quechua. However, it was not until the reigns of Pachacuti (c.1440-1471) and his son Topa Inca, or Tupac
Yupanqui (1471-93), that the Inca made their great conquests. The present Ecuador (the kingdom of Quito) was subjugated by
Huayna Capac, giving the empire its greatest extent and power. At his death it was divided between his sons, Huáscar and
Atahualpa, and a long civil war ensued from which Atahualpa emerged triumphant just as Francisco Pizarro landed on the shores
of Peru and the Spanish conquest began.
^ When Francisco Pizarro landed in South America in 1532, he was welcomed by Atahualpa. By strategem the conquistador lured the
emperor into his camp, captured, and then executed him. Shortly thereafter (1533) Pizarro entered Cuzco. Although the Spaniards
did not immediately subdue the Inca, the highly personal and centralized political structure of the Inca facilitated the Spanish
conquest. Despite the heroic resistance carried on in many sections and the rebellion (1536-37) of Manco Capac, the conquest
was assured. Under Spanish rule Inca culture was greatly modified and eventually hispanicized. The natives were reduced to a
subordinate status, and only in recent years have efforts been made to make the indigenous Peruvian population
(about 50% of the total) an integral part of the national life.

Now it’s time for the pediaicons.txt file (lots of lines for this one!)
Make a copy of the pediaIcons.txt file from the PTW folder and place it in your 31 civs/text folder. These are all at the beginning, just make sure you look for the headings and have them grouped with the other civs in the correct spots.
#START LEADER/RACE ART
#RACE_INCA
Art\Leaderheads\AT.pcx
Art\advisors\AT_all.pcx

# Happy Icons
#HAPPY_RACE_INCA (conquer/domination/space winner)
Art\Leaderheads\AT_HAP.pcx

# Small Happy Icons (defeat)
#SHAPP_RACE_INCA
Art\Leaderheads\AT_SHAP.pcx

# Large Kiss Icons (Culture/diplomatic Winners)
#LKISS_RACE_INCA
Art\Leaderheads\AT_KIS.pcx

# Small Kiss Icons (diplomatic losers)
#SKISS_RACE_INCA
Art\Leaderheads\AT_SKIS.pcx

# Small Angry Icons (domination/space losers)
#ANGRY_RACE_INCA
Art\Leaderheads\AT_ANG.pcx

# Small loving Icons (Cultural Victory Loser)
#ILOVE_RACE_INCA
Art\Leaderheads\AT_CULT.pcx

# Small loved Icons (Cultural Victory Winner)
#LOVED_RACE_INCA
Art\Leaderheads\AT_CULTB.pcx

# Large Beaten-up Icons (defeat)
#LHURT_RACE_INCA
Art\Leaderheads\AT_CONQ_L.pcx

# Small Beaten-up Icons (conquered/eliminated)
#HURTN_RACE_INCA
Art\Leaderheads\AT_CONQ.pcx

#######################
#StArt Races
#ICON_RACE_INCA
Art\Civilopedia\Icons\Races\Incalarge.pcx
Art\Civilopedia\Icons\Races\Incasmall.pcx

Then a little further down you will find the units. Add in:

#ICON_PRTO_Axeman
art\civilopedia\icons\units\Axemanlarge.pcx
art\civilopedia\icons\units\Axemansmall.pcx

*And new with PTW* towards the very end you need to add:

#ANIMNAME_PRTO_Axeman
Axeman

<continued on next post>

Post #2 of 2
Think you are done yet? Not quite: You need to change the diplomacy.txt file to add in lines of text so you get proper responses when talking to the new civs (otherwise you may get blank screens and not know what the AI is saying to you).

The following quote is the original format for Civ3. PTW has more standard lines, but you would probably need to add on the same additional lines where *N is mentioned. *N being the number of civs you are adding. By following the link I posted at the beginning of this thread, you can get a sample diplomacy.txt file that is set up for 31 civs. You could use this to save yourself a lot of time, but it has some generic responses, not some of the unique quotes you would get from some of the PTW civs.
For each of the #AI_Section with #civ=1 parameter add by followed formula
(thanks for Dan Magaha)

(3 if #power == true ) (3 if #mood == true )
number of lines = (N * #civ) * ( or ) * ( or ) * #random
(1 if #pover == false) (1 if #mood == false)

Notes:

NN -- Total number of civs
N = (NN - 16) -- Number extra civs

In followed table:

#AIFIRSTCONTACT 16 + 1 * N (add 1*N lines)
#AIDEMANDTRIBUTE 48 + 3 * N

#AIFIRSTCONTACT -- means the label of entry

for #AIFIRST...
16 -- number of lines in standard diplomacy.txt file
1*N --- number of extra lines for new civs per number of extra civs, for example for 2 extracivs 1*2 = 2 new lines
for #AIDEMAND...
48 -- number of lines in standard diplomacy.txt file
3*N --- number of extra lines for new civs per number of extra civs, for example for 2 extracivs 3*2 = 6 new lines sorted per civs, per 3 power, per 3 moods by #random

_
_ | random 1
| mood + | random 2
| |_ random 3
| _
_ | | random 1'
C | power >| mood ~ | random 2'
i | | |_ random 3'
v | | _
i | | | random 1"
l | |_ mood - | random 2"
i | |_ random 3"
z | _
a | _ | random 1
t | | mood + | random 2
i | | |_ random 3
o | | _
n | | | random 1'
| power =| mood ~ | random 2'
1 | | |_ random 3'
| | _
| | | random 1"
| |_mood - | random 2"
| |_ random 3"
|
|
|
|
| power < ...
|
|_

_
C |
i |
v |
|
2 |
. |
. |
. |_

#AIRENEGOTIATE 18 + 0 (no add lines)
For this kind of entry:
18 -- are standard lines
0 -- no add lines

This is example for the entry

#AIFIRSTCONTACT
#civ 1 ; ---- need adding
#power 0
#mood 0
#random 1
"I, $AI0, Ruler of $CIVNAME1, wonder of the world, greet you." ; --- for first standard civ
"Greetings. I, $AI0, greet you."
"I am Great $AI0. The $CIVADJ2 people are honorable. Deal with us fairly and we shall have peace."
"I am $AI0, of the $CIVADJ3." ; for last 16th civ
; - - this add new lines for extra 2 civs
"I, $AI0, Ruler of $CIVNAME1, wonder of the world, greet you." ; --- for 17th extra civ
"Greetings. I, $AI0, greet you." ; - - for 18th extra civ

Now begin changes

---------------------- begin ---------------------------
#AIFIRSTCONTACT 16 + 1 * N (add 1*N lines)
#AIFIRSTDEAL 16 + 1 * N
#AIDEMANDTRIBUTE 48 + 3 * N
#AIACCEPTTRIBUTE 48 + 3 * N
#AIBLUFFISCALLED 48 + 3 * N
#AIRENEGOTIATE 18 + 0 (no add lines)
#AIRENEGOTIATEPEACE 48 + 3 * N
#AIBORDERWARNING 48 + 3 * N
#AIBORDERWAR 3 + 0
#AIDONTTEST 48 + 3 * N
#AIOVERLOOK 3 + 0
#AIWILLACCEPT 3 + 0
#AICOUNTERWAR 36 + 0
#AICOUNTERPEACE 36 + 0
#AINOCOUNTERWAR 36 + 0
#AINOCOUNTERPEACE 36 + 0
#AITECHTRADE 18 + 0
#AILUXURYTRADE 18 + 0
#AILOANOFFER 48 + 3 * N
#AINOLOANOFFER 48 + 3 * N
#AIMAPTRADE 18 + 0
#AINOMAPTRADE 18 + 0
#AICOMMUNICATIONS 18 + 0
#AIGIVEPEACETREATY 48 + 3 * N
#AIPEACETREATYTHREAT 48 + 3 * N
#AINOPEACETREATYTHREAT 48 + 3 * N
#AIPEACETREATY 48 + 3 * N
#AINOPEACETREATY 96 + 6 * N
#AIMUTUALPROTECTION 48 + 3 * N
#AIRIGHTOFPASSAGE 48 + 3 * N
#AINORIGHTOFPASSAGE 3 + 0
#AIMILITARYALLIANCE 48 + 3 * N
#AITRADEEMBARGO 48 + 3 * N
#AIALLIANCEGREETINGS 48 + 3 * N
#AIPEACEGREETINGS 48 + 3 * N
#AIWARGREETINGS 144 + 9 * N
#AIGIVETRIBUTE 48 + 3 * N
#AIRECEIVEGIFT 18 + 0
#AIACCEPTWAR 36 + 0
#AIACCEPTPEACE 36 + 0
#AIWEAKREJECT 96 + 6 * N
#AINEUTRALREJECT 96 + 6 * N
#AISTRONGREJECT 96 + 6 * N
#AITOTALREJECT 96 + 6 * N
#AIREJECTTHREAT 48 + 3 * N
#AIREJECTBROKENDEAL 18 + 0
#AIREJECTINFORMEDOFBROKENDEAL 18 + 0
#AIREJECTPASSAGEVIOLATION 18 + 0
#AIREJECTINFORMEDOFPASSAGEVIOLATION 18 + 0
#AIREJECTMILITARYRETRACT 18 + 0
#AIREJECTINFORMEDOFMILITARYRETRACT 18 + 0
#AITHANKS 48 + 3 * N
#AIWHATEVER 54 + 0
#AIPROPOSALRESPONSE 36 + 0
#AICOUNTERRESPONSE 36 + 0
#AIREJECTRESPONSE 36 + 0
#AIUNDERSTANDRESPONSE 36 + 0
#AIWILLRETREAT 48 + 3 * N
#AIWILLRETURNHOME 48 + 3 * N
----------------------------- end --------------------------------

I'm thinking the quote won't show up as well as I thought, in that case follow the link from my first post and you'll see all of this in a nice format. And you can also read the original thread that Dan Magaha (from Firaxis) posted explaining the diplomacy.txt file: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15270

I did what you wrote about adding UU I wanted to add "Trebuchet" but when I select it in the production selection it says "missing entry in ANIMNAME_" and returns to windows.please help.

In PTW, you need to add the lines:

#ANIMNAME_PRTO_Trebuchet
Trebuchet

into the pedialicons.txt file (this is towards the very bottom of the file). Make sure there is a pedialicons.txt file in your scenarios-->(Your scenario)-->Text folder. Make sure you have a civlopedia entry for the Trebuchet in your civlopedia.txt file (and you have a civlopedia.txt file in your scenarios-->(Your scenario)-->Text folder.
Make sure in the editor for the unit you have PRTO_Trebuchet in the civlopedia box. And make sure all of these are spelled 'Trebuchet' EXACTLY the same.

Bamspeedy -

Can you put a custom pediaicons.txt into a scenario folder, and will it work (in that scenario only)?
I assumed so, but havent tried it yet. From your post I gather it is possible.

-joespaniel

PS - I've been meaning to ask you, where in Wi do you live? :)

yes, you are supposed to put a pediaicons.txt file into your scenarios folder (if making any changes in this file). Otherwise it will run the regular PTW pediaicons.txt file, and you don't want to change that one (because it will affect all your 'other' games.) I just copy the pedialicons.txt file from PTW (so you have all the regular PTW stuff in there for those units and civs), put it in my scenario folder, then edit from there. Just make sure in your scenario .bix file, under scenario properties you tell the program which folder to use. (The name of your scenario folder).
Same applies for civlopedia.txt, diplomacy.txt and art files (you don't need to copy all the art files for the regular civs, though, just the .txt files and any new art/units you add). The game will first look in your scenario folder for finding stuff, then if it can't find it, it will go to the regular PTW folder, if it still can't find it, the game will crash.

I live in Onalaska (suburb of LaCrosse). It's in the western part of the state by the Mississippi River, bordering Minnesota.

So the folders in my PTW scenarios folder looks like this (with descriptions as to what is in those folders):
Scenarios
-31 civs (the name of my scenario)
---Art
-----Advisors (leaderheads that show in the foreign advisor screen)
-----Civlopedia
-------Icons
---------Races (leaderheads in the civlopedia)
---------Units (pictures of units in civlopedia)
-----Flics (leaderhead animations)
-----leaderheads (leaderheads for victory/losses)
-----Units (unit folders and units.pcx if using a different .pcx file)
-------UU#1 (unit animations and graphics for UU#1)
-------UU#2 (unit animations and graphics for UU#2)
-------UU#3 (unit animations and graphics for UU#3)
---Text (civlopedia.txt, diplomacy.txt, pedialicons.txt)
-Other scenario Folders

I'm going to edit my first post to state that you should NOT change the civ3x file, just do changes in the civ3xedit and save them as scenarios. Because patches (we know there will be some) will overwrite all your changes in the civ3x file, so you'll have to start all over.

Thank you, that is VERY helpfull. :)

In fact, you have inspired me to get to work on my own. :D

Re: PS - I'm in Milwaukee, thats why I asked. If your ever heading this way, PM me and let me know, first round is on me. ;)

Have a good weekend.

The scenario properties thing tripped me up, but then I noticed the new feature they added with PTW, "Scenario Search Folders".

I am adding German flavor units, namely replacing the Panzer with the Panther, and adding 7 more of the new units to the Germans arsenal. :D

Thanks again, Bamspeedy.

My next project will be to add the new Japanese units. :D

That looks great, joespaniel!

The de-bug mode is awesome. Let's you place the units on the map without having to play a game up to that point/tech, so you can test the animations and stuff. And you can give yourself all the techs needed to ensure the unit shows up in the build queue correctly (but you can't place resources on the map while playing :mad: ).

Any corrections in the editor, you'll have to start a new game from scratch to see the difference. Changes in the .txt files and art you can continue from a previous game. I found this out the hard way. I tried to establish an embassy with Poland and the game would always crash. Found out I forgot to assign Poland to a culture group, so the game wouldn't know what building styles to show me.

I have a problem...

When I try to load the scenario in PTW, an error screen pops-up saying

FILE NOT FOUND
"#"

and it exits.

I was able to load it previously without any problems. Any clue???

No, I haven't had that error before. I've just had some crashes when it couldn't find some unit files when loading a saved game. Did you add any files to your scenario folder since the last time you loaded it? Did you make any changes in the editor? And make sure 'custom rules' and 'scenario properties' are still selected in the .bix file.

I added the attack chopper and air transport, SM's dreadnaught and steam frigate, Balou's Light Infantry and the Trebuchet by JimmyH. Thats when it went kaput.

First I tried it with the units still in Civ3 unit folder, then moved them to PTW. No dice.

The ANIM is updated in the pedia.text.

I checked for the usual errors, misnamed .inis... etc.

Im stumped. :(

My problem with units was actually INSIDE the .ini files for the units, there would be errors as to which files they ask for (.flc files, .amb, and .wav files).

Like for the javelineer, it is using sound files for the spearman. The spearman is not in my units folder (it is in Civ3 or PTW folder), so I put them like this:
[Sound Effects]
BLANK=
DEFAULT=
WALK=
RUN=..\Spearman\SpearmanRun.amb
ATTACK1=..\Spearman\SpearmanAttackA.amb
ATTACK2=..\Spearman\SpearmanAttackB.amb
ATTACK3=
DEFEND=
DEATH=..\Spearman\SpearmanDeath.wav
DEAD=
FORTIFY=..\Spearman\SpearmanFortify.wav
FORTIFYHOLD=
FIDGET=..\Spearman\SpearmanFidget.wav
VICTORY=..\Spearman\SpearmanVictory.wav
TURNLEFT=
TURNRIGHT=
BUILD=
ROAD=
MINE=
IRRIGATE=
FORTRESS=
CAPTURE=
STOP_AT_LAST_FRAME=
PauseROAD=
PauseMINE=
PauseIRRIGATE=
[Version]
VERSION=1
[Palette]
PALETTE=

the ..\ tells it to get out of your scenario folder (since they aren't in your folder) and look in the PTW or Civ3 art folder it seems to me. Sometimes some of those files have a space after them, so that screws things up like spearman_.wav instead of spearman.wav , with the _representing a space in my example. Some of the Firaxis filenames have the space, so check them, too. I think that might be why there is a swordsman .ini file in Civ3 AND PTW, because the PTW folder fixes that, but I'm not sure about that. I went and got rid of the space in every folder and .ini file.

One unit I had was asking for soundfiles that were nowhere to be found, like 'musketinfantry', when it should be 'musketman' or musketeer'.

I found the problem, I added two "extra" civs to bump up the units editor screen and forgot to delete them after.

Duh.

Then I had a problem with the Air Transport sounds and had to move the BomberRun.wav into the same folder.

Heres the working product. :)

Thanks. :)

Ahh, WI boys.

joespaniel, perhaps you know some of my old buddies over there in brew town.

Thanks for the thread bamspeedy. I knew I was going to have to make a few changes with the PTW version. ;)

I having problem getting the art files to work. I try to select Incas from the list of Civilizations and it will say "file not found, exiting program". It tells me the file for AT_A01.flik or whatever the last part is called is missing. I think it the folder having problems, but I am not sure.

Ok, that is the animation of the leaderhead. AT_A01.flc

1. Make sure you have the right filename for the .flc file in the editor under the 'civilizations' tab. Go to Incas and check in the lower left and make sure the forward filename (for ancient era) is Art\Flics\AT_A01.flc
and the reverse is
Art\Flics\AT_A02.flc
Make sure the .flc files in your Flics folder (which is in your Arts folder) is also AT_A01.flc and AT_A02.flc.
So in the editor you need to type in the 'Art\Flics\' so it knows to use those folders to find them, but the art files themselves that are in your art folder you would not want to include the art\flics\ as part of its name. Some leaderheads that you download may not use for example, AT_A01.flc, but instead AT_01.flc (they don't use the 'A', so check the art folder to make sure the file names match up)

Make sure in the Scenario Properties tab of the editor you have the name of your scenario folder as the search folder. And you have a 'Flics' folder inside an 'Art' folder in your Scenario folder and your files are in there.

Originally posted by joespaniel
I have a problem...

When I try to load the scenario in PTW, an error screen pops-up saying

FILE NOT FOUND
"#"

and it exits.

I was able to load it previously without any problems. Any clue???

Does it say something like text/pediaicons.txt _ANIMNAME

try turning off regicide, i had that problem and i just turned regicide off and it loaded(but now i have to figure out how to add king units)

Top Bottom