Screenshot of the Day #56: -3 Production

Thunderfall

Administrator
Administrator
I've seen many 1 shield production cities but never a city with negative production. This is really strange:

It says the city is producing -3 production. I know the city is far from the capitol, but this is pushing it.

http://www.civfanatics.com/sotd/sotd56.jpg

Thanks to Curtis Robinson for the screenshot.

I hope no one takes offense at this, but that screenshot also has to be one of the worst examples of worker task assignment and citizen assignment that I have ever seen in a game. hopefully that was done just to make the picture look pretty. :rolleyes:

Seven hills with roads and mines in a city that can never possibly have enough food to let more than three of those squares be worked.

The minus 3 production may be punishment from the workers union for wasting all that time. ;)

a 6-size city with no temples or whatsoever, that just produces a settler, and has only one archer-unit present.
One turn ago this was a 8pop-city in serious disorder!
i guess if the disorder was still here there would be a message that the mob destroyed the harbor.

Just goes to show why I never automate workers..

But seriously: how do you get negative production? I didn't think that was possible! Is it something new in PTW? (I'm eagerly awaiting my copy any day now!). A new bug?

Negative production? I wonder what that would mean for the production of wealth in that city, considering that this is dependant of the number of shields produced each turn by the city.

At minus 3 shields per turn, producing wealth would translate in a 1 gpt drain on the national treasury! :lol:

I had the same 'problem' quite a few time.

When you are on Mobilisation and switch between military and non-military production (ie bonus or no bonus production: for ex between riflemen and harbour), the programm sometimes (often/always?) has big problem calculating the new city production.

My 'solution' to this problem (apart from avoiding mobilisation) is that city on military build should say on this kind of construction.

What is funny on this SOTD is that the city IS producing military (I guess the bug is still there if you move workers from bonus production square to no-bonus production square like sea).

Jabah.

I got this same negative production fairly recently when in communism. It happened in small cities that were only producing a few shields from the land. I figured that what was happening was that there was a bug in the constant corruption algorithm that forgot to set the displayed number to "1" when the corruption exceeded actual production. I think the city behaved as if it were producing 1 shield per turn.

Is the DEVIL! :flamedevi

I don't know about you, but as far as that screenshot is shown, that is probably the only way you can get the most food and commerce out of a city in that placement. If he can get a marketplace to build, he'll be able to squeeze two more citizen out of that and I'd probably put that citizen on a coastal square first too. That city sure isn't going to be a city that's productive enough to contribute to any war effort, so might as well have it generate as much tax as possible to contribute in that sense.

As for the mines, maybe all the other worthwhile tile improvements are done? When all the tile improvements around my core cities are done I'd send my workers to outlying cities to improve those tiles too just to keep them busy.

Actually Dadoo, if you look, there is a forest with Game in it in the upper right hand corner. That will provide two food just like the sea squares and provide production. You can't do much better than that but at least its better than nothing (and better than what the user has now).

At the same time, this isn't the WORST placement of citizen assignment. Its a bad place to put a city as there are nothing but hills and mountains so don't expect much to come of the site.

Originally posted by Portuguese

Is it only in PTW (never happened to me...) ?

It had happened to me several time on regular Civ3, I don't know about PtW (I don't have it yet).

Jabah

The production box shown on the map says "Sipahi 17". How is it possible to build something in 17 turns with no shields?

Originally posted by Hellfire
Its a bad place to put a city as there are nothing but hills and mountains so don't expect much to come of the site.

I always build cities if I can. I'd build in mountains if possible (if next to sea, of course...). Having +1 city is always better. Always. It's a 0/+... situation. What is a settler compared to what you can make there in the future.

Originally posted by ETO_Peregrine
The production box shown on the map says "Sipahi 17". How is it possible to build something in 17 turns with no shields?
I think that might be because the city status box in the city view is outdated, while the up-to-date production box is the one with the picture of a rifleman, saying "Rifleman--9999 turns."

Jabah's explaination sounds reasonable. Satchel may also be right, but that has never happened to me (and neither has Jabah's explaination, but I haven't been mobilized too many times).

And instead of being complete in 9999 turns, shouldn't you lose a rifleman every 27 turns (80/-3)? ;)

Willj,

interesting thought!! but if the negative production has to consume units then it woul also need to include the disband ratio. Disbanding a rifleman would only yield 1/4th of the shields it took to build the rifleman in the first place, so the ratio might look more like 80/(-3 * 4) or 80/-12 which would one rifleman expiring every 6.7 turns. :crazyeye:

Originally posted by cracker
Willj,

interesting thought!! but if the negative production has to consume units then it woul also need to include the disband ratio. Disbanding a rifleman would only yield 1/4th of the shields it took to build the rifleman in the first place, so the ratio might look more like 80/(-3 * 4) or 80/-12 which would one rifleman expiring every 6.7 turns. :crazyeye:
Hmm... Actually, shouldn't you lose a rifleman every 27 turns at first, but every time you lose one you get 20 shields, and then every turn you lose 3 of those shields, until it gets to 0, and then after 27 turns you lose another rifleman, and you get 20 shields, and so on...?

Originally posted by Thunderfall
His workers are probably all automated...

yep before i learned to stop automating my cities would starve from all the mines :rolleyes:

That happened to me once, and I tried to flag down a screenshot of that to send to TF, but unfortunanely at that point my RAM had ran out and the clipboard, I believe, got deleted. Arghh.

What's the button next to the hurry production? I know it's draft but it looks differnt - I wonder what art pack that is.

Just go a turn and then it will turn back to normal.

Top Bottom