Screenshot of the Day #61: English x2

Thunderfall

Administrator
Administrator
This came from a game I was playing on Marla Singer's world map, using six civilizations (including myself) on regent level. Latest patch installed, and the game was not modified in any other than the way the map was changed and I have NEVER experienced anything like this.

While playing one day, after destroying the English (who were oddly in the place of the Indians, though I had not selected Indians for the game) I suddenly met up with....the English. But not the same English. This was an ENTIRELY different civilization with a different color and everything. The only thing that was the same was the fact it was the English. I even gave the English communications with the English. Here is a shot of my foreign advisor screen and of "The Most Powerful Nations of the World" thing (respectively.)

http://www.civfanatics.com/sotd/sotd61.jpg
http://www.civfanatics.com/sotd/sotd61b.jpg

Thanks to Becka for the screenshot.

I think respawn ai is working a little too eariler here. By the way, why is your leader of Persia a empress when it still the old leader?

Now try to get the Old English to declare war against the New English... Imagine the pop-up message: " The English have declared war against the English" and later "The rampaging English forces have destroyed the English" And you could try to sign a military alliance with the English against the English. But then it's going to be difficult to remember which English to attack. :crazyeye:

I posted a thread about this on Stories and tales not too long ago. It was titled Two Greeces? I was on the same map (marla's) and it was the same situation.

That happened to me once. It's highly annoying.

Haha this is weird. I have a different problem. I can't get civs to respawn after I wipe them out. Is there a time frame to this?

Easily the funniest SOTD ever.

On my thread Two Greeces? we determined there is a way to rig many of the same civ on one map. Check it out under Civ3- Stories and Tales.

This can happen when you use mods, I forgot how to replicate it though, but one time I had two Australias show up. It's nothing new and has been discussed before.

Maybe they had a civil war?

As I noted in the Bug Reports (aka the useless forum that no one ever responds to) it is possible to set up a hotseat or PBEM game where the lead player chooses a civ and that civ is still available for another player to choose.

I wonder if that is what we are really seeing in this picture or it is also happening in the single player version.

Haha! Must be a defection! Some English were dissatisfied so they defected and formed their own Pathetic English, leaving the original English to be a Puny English!

In one of my games I have 2 Zulu civilizations in diferents continents... believe or not I will post it soon... maybe tomorrow.

The only thing more bizarre would be to have two (or more) Persia's spawned (without being set up that way or hacked).

Becka, (or is it Thunderfall?) the only thing you left out is a saved game for the rest of us to download. I'd be curious to see how things played out after that point, maybe even get several user's results.

Folks, if this ever happens to you, (or any similar bizarre-yet-playable occurances) please save the game with a unique filename and load it to your website for others to play with.

Wouldn't you like to know what happens when played thru' a dozen differt ways?

Something even more bizarre happened to me back in the early Civ3 days: Playing on a large random pangea map, no mod, I faced 2 English AND 2 Egypt...the problem was, IIRC, that those two each got the Techs of their counterpart! City names were altereted, so England #1's capital was London, #2 had York, and so on. Despite having a good start myself (Persia), with the Colossus, and cheap Libraries, the went horribly ahead in Tech, and since 3 of them were my neighbors, they even went to war with me...Egypt #1, Egypt #2 and one of the Englands...

Unfortunately I have no savefile.

I think the explanation could be: I started a standard map game before, picked my opponents (including Egypt and England), and when I started the next game after a look on the starting location, I switched to 'large' world size; the 'Choose opponents' screen already displayed 2 England and 2 Egypt...

Top Bottom