Diplomatic Victory

JPro148

Chieftain
I am having a hard time getting a diplomatic victory. Any tips as to how this can be achieved?

Also, this may be a stupid question, but is there any way to turn the graphics up or is there only one setting?

Thanks

JPP

To get diplo victory you need to discover the tech fission then build the Un wonder - you will be offered a vote on selecting the general secretary!

To win the vote you need to get other civs to vote for you - which means they must be at least polite to you (gracious is even better) - I find giving gifts to them whilst I am building the UN often helps a lot ;)

Keeping treaties in the past and having a good reputation helps a lot too. Plus I think you need to have a percentage of the worlds population and land (1/4 or so - I'm not sure from memory and don't have access to civ3 at the moment)

If the vote is not conclusive then you will be given the chance to hold another vote after a set interval (somehwere between 10 and 20 turns I think).

You mean zooming? Just press 'Z' to zoom in and out. ;)

As for a diplo victory, I find vast armies of tanks at their capitals' gates to be more effective than trying to bribe them with gifts.... :)

Trade with them.
Give them stuff - I don't think size matters just the frequency. I usually give 1gp per turn and surplus luxuries to civ's I am greasing up to.
Offer a ROP agreement.
l think but have no evidence
-that having a powerful culture improves the relationship
with other civs.
-accepting culture flips harms relations

Nearly every game I win is a diplomacy victory (monarch level), so let me tell you how I do it.

I am extremely careful with my reputation. This is the first and foremost thing, because if you trash your reputation no amount of gifts and bribery can fix it. Taking care with your reputation tricky. Some of things I do include

*never, ever razing an AI city. Ever. When at war I use artillery to bomb the population down and after I take them I starve them down to 1 pop point; with strong culture and a strong garrison I never lose captured cities to culture flip this way. The AI doesn't mind me bombing and starving them to death, but razing an AI city will destroy your reputation.

* never, ever engaging in RoP-rape, or the other actions that the AI treats as RoP-rape. That means making sure you have no units in their territory when you declare war - not even a lone ship a few squares away from one of their cities. I declare war on the diplomacy screen either by choosing "prepare for war" or by calling up the peace treaty from "active" agreements and canceling it.

* never turning down a deal without offering something else in return. When the AI offers me a deal I do not want to take (like "World Map" for "World Map and Combustion" :rolleyes: ) I say no, but then give them the world map for free (for example). This is the only time I use gifts.

*never, ever, break an existing deal. If I want to wage war, I wait until active trades with the target civ expire. Then I call up that trade and cancel it. Then, and only then, will I declare war, again making sure there's no RoP-rape.

*a corrollary to the above is, never entering MPPs. I want control over when and with whom I go to war, because breaking deals trashes my reputation. So I simply do not enter MPPs. I will grant RoPs to civs that ask for them, but I take MPP off the table. I will also use military alliances when I want to draw another AI into the conflict to force my enemy to fight on two fronts. When I do that, though, I always wait 20 turns and end the military alliance before making peace, in order to avoid breaking a deal.

*Finally, understanding that not every civilization will like me. I usually wage two or three large wars a game where I cripple my nearest neighbor or strongest rival, to get their resources or just to make sure I am the leading civ. The civs that I fight with will never like me, no matter how honorably I conduct the war. That's okay - I don't need every vote, just a majority.

As you see, it takes some work and care to maintain your reputation. But when I follow the above steps, I will nearly always win a UN election. (I have never lost one, although they are sometimes inconclusive.) I also follow a generally peaceful builder type of strategy, with a few strategic wars sprinkled in, and thus by the time Fission rolls around I have a healthy tech lead and never have trouble building the UN.

I'm interested in feedback on my comment. I didn't realize when I set out that I'd have so much to say - but since this seems to be my main mode of victory, perhaps I will repost this to the strategy articles forum if people find it useful.

I mainly concur with satchel in terms of reputation. I will never break any deal except in the rare occurance when I must enter into an MPP with someone and they go and do something stupid before it expires.

Anytime I go to war, I cancel any active agreements, leave the territory, then declare through the diplomacy screen before re-entering and attacking. The only time I would intentionally violate an ROP is if I run a mass attack on someone in order to get a domination/conquest victory soon after. [If you do this and you have other ROPs you want to keep, make sure to renegotiate them the turn before so that the comps can't immediately cancel]

As for capturing cities, I never raze them unless it's late in the game and I'm intentionally trying to anger someone. Normally I like to make them build workers for me down to size one (you get more slaves than razing but it takes way longer and/or can be expensive if you rush em). Occaisionally if a city is really badly placed, I will completely worker-farm it out or turn the last 2 pop points into a settler and replace it. I don't do this often enough to really care whether or not this abandoning is looked upon as an insult; it probably is.

So, in general I agree with satchel on how to keep the reputation up. Having pretty much everyone be polite with you will normally translate into enough votes to get the job. However, sometimes it's iffy, so there's one "exploit" I will use to ensure diplo victory if the conditions are right.

First off, you must know ahead of time who your opponent will be. It's usually fairly obvious in my experience but occaisionally there's a surprise. It's also helpful to have relative peace in the world beforehand and of course your reputation must be good as mentioned above. What you do is, a turn or two before you complete the UN, declare war on the other vote-getter (they'd vote for themselves anyhow) and ally everyone else you can against them. When the vote comes up, you'll more-or-less sweep it, possibly with some abstentions from people who you've beaten on.

Occaisionally there's one or two guys who you can't ally that will vote for the other guy, but normally you'll get a comfortable majority. MPPs can be a potential problem here; if you can work around them with your own MPPs or have enough cash,etc to get alliances before you actually attack and the pact kicks in, you're okay. If not, this method will fail.

It takes a bit of experience to recognize when this method is necessary and whether or not it will work, but anytime the conditions were right and I wanted the diplo victory, it has worked for me.

Satchel

I'd like to add some more since you want the complete list.

Trading often has positive effect on other civs opinion of you.
I found that keeping an ROP with the other civs from the beginnin till the end is enough for them to always be polite with me if I don't do any other rep damaging actions.
Declaring war to a civ lowers everybody's opinion of you. You may not see this the first time but you will after two or three war declarations. So you should make them declare war to you.

pdescobar and yndy - your comments are good, thank you.

Like Yndy I am generous with RoP's, especially with powerful civs on other continents who aren't even likely to take advantage of them, but will still love me for offering them.

I take pdescobar's advice a bit further by virtually never entering MPP at all. But I agree with the creative use of alliances to get other civs fighting with each other. This is one of my main tactics for getting and maintaining a tech lead. In particular, when two rivals are at war with each other, but both polite to me, I can broker techs and resources between them so that the weaker civ has an incentive to stay at war and keep chipping away at the stronger.

Mostly, I just want to highlight for people who think that victory by diplomacy is "easy" or "wimpy" how tricky it really can be to keep a clean reputation while staying sufficiently developed to make sure you are a candidate in the UN election, and not getting wiped out.

Since I win almost all game by diplomacy I am defensive toward those who think I'm copping out. :) I'm not a great player by any means, but I do have a handle on developing a strong, rich, advanced civilization on Monarch level. ;)

Diplomatic victory can be achieved very easily:

Don't raze cities.

Build the UN yourself.

The UN vote takes place among the two most powerful civs and the one which build the UN.

So if you build to UN, you are in the race.

If you are one of the two most powerful civs, you just have to declare war to the other powerful civs and get the other civs to declare war to your opponent.

If there are two more powerful civs, you have to declare war to both of them, get all the others to join your war.

Civs will never vote for someone they are at war with.

That's all.
The turn before getting the UN

Originally posted by Ronald

Civs will never vote for someone they are at war with.

That's very true. This month's GOTM, deity level. I had a terrible rep, broken peace treaties, trade deals, razed cities, etc. and won by diplomacy. You can still get the AI to sign ROP and MPP with a bad rep if you include something free with it (like a technology or strategic resource). I had 3 civs Gracious with me, even though they knew about my treaty breaking with Persia. At the end I had a MPP with India and the Zulu declare war on them, forcing me into war with the Zulu. UN election came up and India voted for me. (I had built the UN myself, so I controlled when voting takes place, it's every 10 or 11 turns).

Of course a bad rep does make things much more difficult, but not impossible.

But generally, you want ROP, MPP (although VERY risky), an alliance against someone else and trading with them frequently. Gifting them stuff helps, but I wouldn't donate lump sum payments, as that doesn't seem to have much effect.
If you find a civ that has no horses or saltpepper in the industrial-modern age and you have excess sources, donate it to him. He'll be Gracious, especially if he is at war and needs resources.

You need the UN first of all, can't make an omelette without an egg, and only attempt Diplomatic Victory if you are on Good Terms with everyone, or else you won't win their votes, be on great terms with everyone just to make sure, Dilomatic Victory is tough because It taks centuries of good relations with EVERYONE to acheive it.

Top Bottom