Negotiations

Thrasson

Chieftain
Everytime I make a peace treaty with an opponent, he starts encroaching on my teritory. I don't mind; but, everytime I encroach on their teritory, they send me an emissary, warning me. How do I make contact with them without seeing thier cities? As you can see, I'm still learning so, much thanks.

You can only ask them to move if you have peace with them and their military unit is on one of your City Radius tiles. There is no "borders" as in Civ3. You can make a foreign Diplomat or Spy go home if they are closer to your city than to their own.

Once you have met a foreign civ they appear on your Foreign Advisor screen. You have to have established an Embassy (by moving one of your Diplomats or Spies into any of their cities, or by building MarcoPolo (expires with Communism) or the UN) in order to see the Intelligence screen, which tells you what techs they have, what they are researching, how much gold they have, and a list of their cities.

Thrasson, if the city radius for one of your cities overlaps with one of the your opponent's cities, the squares that overlap are considered to be the "territory" of your opponent (there are no "borders" in Civ2 as ElephantU says). If you have a treaty with your opponent, they will tell you (in their own special way) to move whenever you occupy one the overlapping squares.

If your opponent occupies those squares, though, you cannot insist that they withdraw their troops. If you do ask, they will say "None of our troops are in your territory" or some such thing. It is annoying, but part of the game. :mischief:

Originally posted by Marlos
If your opponent occupies those squares, though, you cannot insist that they withdraw their troops. If you do ask, they will say "None of our troops are in your territory" or some such thing. It is annoying, but part of the game. :mischief:

Works when I ask them to get out. I think if it's the outer ring of city radius, and not the inner 8 squares, they will be removed.

I hate the fact that if you are using a part of territory, and it so happens that it is in the radius of an AI city, even if you are using it, you cannot put units in that square.

For overlapping squares, place a military unit there for one turn; on the next turn, open up the city window & it should appear as “yours”. Place a working citizen on that space & it will stay yours until one of the opponent’s military units occupies the space. (This trick fails over water, boats don’t ‘claim’ territory.)

Originally posted by mgeary
I sometimes build carvans and use them as explorers. Other civi's seem not to mind if carvans are running around near their cities.

of course not, trade is good for all involved.

Top Bottom