Screenshot of the Day #67: Capital-less

Thunderfall

Administrator
Administrator
We may not know the exact conditions that trigger palace improvements, but we do know you don't have to have a palace for the palace improvement message to come up. ;)

This was from GOTM XII. I just let my capital get destroyed, and then my people decided to improve my palace. I didn't have any cities (just a settler). I find it illogical.

http://www.civfanatics.com/sotd/sotd67.jpg

Thanks to Michael York for the screenshot.

Well, they could always offer to improve your tent.
:cool:

We do know the general conditions: you gotta do a lot of great conditions. I was building two wonders - both finished same turn - and my people loved me. Also when I destroyed another Civ to pieces that brought it out too.

I don't quite get it. Why is there that settler there? When your capital is demolished, you get a settler?

Originally posted by hbdragon88
I don't quite get it. Why is there that settler there? When your capital is demolished, you get a settler?

I guess he built a settler, then had his capital destroyed. I guess that counts as a 'great condition'. ;)

CG

I've often had cities riot and/or have a city captured, and gotten the "The People Love You" message.

hey, he survived anilhilation... that's good.

i sometimews don't do that good....

What exactly do you mean by "let my capital be destroyed"? :confused:

I guess he moved his units out, and let the capital get captured and razed.

poor citizens... no city, no civ, no drink...

it is soooo easy: they build a Palace tent on a carriage from you ;) Now they offer to add a roof to it :lol:

never happened to me this before...
palace in a non-city-empire? mmm...
what kind of palace will they construct? an invisible? and only the stupids cant see it!

They could make it check to see if you actually have any cities, but if they bother to do that then it should pop up and say:

The people have abandoned you - you loose!

Yeah! Like a capital-regicide like victory:

"We are disgraced!

You have suffered a humiliating defeat"

And maybe a movie, with the people fleeing you.

I think the message pops up at significant hardcoded landmarks in the game eg.

1) Wonders Built
2) No. of cities
3) Progress of wars
4) Possibly expansion parameters like no. of civs discovered or amt. of land explored

Good work Firaxis for not pegging this solely to the power graph or no. of cities.

I seem to notice my first "The people love you message..." immediately after my first battle victory in the game (usually vs. barbarians.)

Well when I was playing a modern day scenario, I got the message that the people loved me. I went to improve the palace and on that one turn i got to put every improvement but one. So I think it has something to do with how far you have progressed.

i think it's a combination of a few factors
1) a specific accomplishment (e.g. wonder built, civ destroyed,...)
i once got 3 upgrades at once after i had wiped out some civ foolish enough to oppose me
2) whether it is your first time that you accomplished your....accomplishment :crazyeye:
3) just luck
just because you did something great doesn't mean they'll get on their knees for you every time (like an elite unit dosn't deliver an army every time it wins), or sometimes vice versa; if you have like all wonders, people could get slightly impressed
this is just a theory, but i think i am pretty close
if anyone has proofs if this is true/false, lemme know, cuz i have also wondered quite some time what the deal with that upgrade was
perhaps a formula like ((luckfactor)*(accomplishment)*(times accomplishment)? :confused:

It's not luck. The screen says something about "admiring your achievements" so yes, it has to be something great. Building a wonder, and winning victories. I once bought two techs from two civs, and the science advsior was saying "we are technologically advanced"; I got a palace inprovement.

with luck i mean a chance to trigger the improvement; sometimes you do something great; the next time you do something great and then suddenly an improvement
or maybe it's just a sum in a certain branch? confused :?

Top Bottom