Screenshot of the Day #68: Early Monarchy

Thunderfall

Administrator
Administrator
I was playing PTW as the Americans with the mass regicide option on a huge map with 16 civs. I sent ALL my kings out exploring and produced 2 extra scouts. Got a settler from a hut and got to Monarchy at 3000 B.C.! By having the Alphabet tech as the tech you are 'researching', the techs from huts will go down the monarchy line pretty quickly allowing for a very early revolution. It looks like I had a perfect start, but I had to move my settler 2 moves to get to the river (and cattle).

http://www.civfanatics.com/sotd/sotd68.jpg

Thanks to Bamspeedy for the screenshot.

i've done that before. i got monachy when i sent out 2 scouts looking for goody huts. i was in middle ages in no time!

Sayounara- That's why you should play with sedentary barbs if you are expansionists. Expansionists can never get barbs from huts. On a huge pangea map there are lots of huts. You only need about 7 or 8 techs from huts if you have alphabet blocked off to get to monarchy. There was enough huts for me to get ALL ancient techs by 2300 B.C. And there was even more huts to grab which I did (to deprive the AI of getting any) and got more gold, maps, and conscripts.

I replayed that start and the RNG was nicer to me. I got monarchy at 3350 B.C. and all ancient techs at 2800 B.C. (after getting monarchy, buying alphabet from some civ gets you one step closer to getting all the techs).

True, no barbs from huts when you open them.... but non-expansionist civs will create a few barbs when they open huts! Sometimes scouts have to be careful near non-expansionists' borders.
:eek:

Originally posted by Aggie
Shows once more that (mass) regicide against AI unballances the game. I think my first Deity game will be with mass regicide swithced on...
Another hint that says that the new victory types are not designed to be played against the AI, but against other humans.

but you can play them in single player? i rather say they were lazy or didn't have time to program this well so AI can take advantage of them.

Originally posted by RedTopJay
I do not understand why researching Alphabet will lead the hut goodies to Monarchy. Alphabet is not required for Monarchy. They are not on the same tree. There is no relationship between them.
When you get techs in Goody Huts, you won't get the tech you are researching, until there are no other techs you can get.

More details: Researching Alphabet at 0 science will block off the techs of Writing, Mathematics, and their forward techs.

If alphabet is being researched, and you are America, the available tech choices from huts are:
Bronze W
Iron W
CBurial
Wheel
Warrior Code
Horseback Riding
Mysticism
Polytheism
Monarchy.

So 9 goody huts with techs will get you these.

Nice bamspeedy :goodjob:

Now hope that despite being really reluctant to, the goody huts will give you alphabet. Then again, ive heard rumors that youve done that a long time ago.

Sayourna- Even without using mass regicide, if you pop a settler right away, with 2 cities you'll have free unit support for 8 units, so there is no reason not to pump out some more scouts. And if you don't get a free settler, having an extra scout running around, if he gets just 1 tech, he's payed for his maintance cost for a long time and then some. Just disband him when you get everything mapped out.

Silverflame- Yes, I did something similar in vanilla civ3 (in a HoF game). Got a settler from a hut and just produced nothing but scouts and settlers. Had about 15-20 scouts running around and got out of the ancient era somewhere around 2500 B.C. Aeson started this technique but he would block off horseback riding so he could build cheap chariots to later upgrade to knights, so it would take him longer to get any government techs.

Originally posted by Bamspeedy
Aeson started this technique but he would block off horseback riding so he could build cheap chariots to later upgrade to knights, so it would take him longer to get any government techs.
It's more useful to use despotism, because of the high unit support with many small cities, with Aesons strategy.

For research and just stockpiling cash, yes....
But despot has the tile penalty. I never use the whip and the extra food from having the tile penalty removed really speeds up settler production.

Originally posted by Bamspeedy
For research and just stockpiling cash, yes....
But despot has the tile penalty. I never use the whip and the extra food from having the tile penalty removed really speeds up settler production.
That's true.

Erik Mesoy, Thank you for the detailed info. I finally get it. If you are researching a tech, all techs on that tree will not be learned until all the other techs are learned. Since Alphabet has the most techs on it's tree, nine, it is the tech to research if you are goodie hut hunting. But, does the research level have to be "0"? I will have to test this. And thanks to Bamspeedy for submitting that screenshot which started this thread. Is this major tip listed somewhere with other great civ tips?

Top Bottom