Screenshot of the Day #79: -2 Turns

Thunderfall

Administrator
Administrator
This is probably a bug. I had two workers on a square, one clearing a forest and another building a road. When the forest was cleared, I checked up on the worker building the road, and it said he would be done in -2 turns!

http://www.civfanatics.com/sotd/sotd79.jpg

This is time travel in Civ3! ;) Thanks to Jeff Yu for the screenshot.

Hey cool. Another opprotunity to be the first person to post comments to a SOTD.

This is cool. I wonder how many turns it really took to complete the action. I've had something similar (wacky). Unbeknowest to me, there was already a hydro plant in a city (Hoover at work), so I started to build one. Then the advsior said that we've completed the hydro plant; shall we begin work on another one?

So what would happen if you loaded a save game from 2 turns ago. Would there be a road? Perhaps Firaxis could create an alternate time line mode of play.

I have had the same thing happen when you plop a city down on a square that a Worker is building a road on. The Worker kept building the road even though there was no need for since the town created the road.

I bet itll finish in two turns, and its just a text typo or something. Pretty cool though :)

Why does the advisor's text look larger and bolder than normal? Is it just me? :crazyeye:

Maybe in this case, but in my case, the Town automatically created the road when built, yet the Worker was still digging the road. When I clicked on it, I got the message for will be done in
-1 turns. I read about this particular phenom a while back: when you build a city on top of a Worker that is doing something like building a Road.

I bet it'll be dones next turn.

My guess would be the game probably has a value of how many turns a given tile will require to complete, and how many turns the worker has done and subtracts them when the advisor comes up

When the forrest was cleared, the turns needed lowered (since it takes less time to build a road on grassland then forrest), but of course the turns worked did not so the value of turn left went negitive (i.e. turns required - turns worked = turns left)

Originally posted by WillJ
Why does the advisor's text look larger and bolder than normal? Is it just me? :crazyeye:

I think the question should be why does that horse west of the city have 7 hitpoints!!!!

There was a young lady named Bright
Who traveled much faster than light
She started one day in the usual way
And returned on the previous night.

- The Space Child's Mother Goose

Originally posted by CrackedCrystal

I think the question should be why does that horse west of the city have 7 hitpoints!!!!

Most likely a mod. Is that a barb horseman? In which case, drafted people with 7 hitpoints would get "promoted" to 3 hitpoints! :lol:

It does look strangely like a keshik, but this guys in ancient times...he couldnt be that far behind

I have the euro-version of Civ3 PTW, and it happened several times that I had a worker working on a road, put another worker working working on it, then because the 'turns remaining' went to zero or lower, the road was completed the same turn, with useability and all.

Originally posted by piderman
I have the euro-version of Civ3 PTW, and it happened several times that I had a worker working on a road, put another worker working working on it, then because the 'turns remaining' went to zero or lower, the road was completed the same turn, with useability and all.
That's actually a slightly different situation. When you tell a worker to do something, his first turn gets invested immediately, so yes, if there was only one turn left to be done, the road gets finished immediately.

Originally posted by CrackedCrystal
My guess would be the game probably has a value of how many turns a given tile will require to complete, and how many turns the worker has done and subtracts them when the advisor comes up

When the forrest was cleared, the turns needed lowered (since it takes less time to build a road on grassland then forrest), but of course the turns worked did not so the value of turn left went negitive (i.e. turns required - turns worked = turns left)
Correct. The workers who are already busy do their work at the beginning of the turn, so in this case before the forest was finished.

If the worker wasn't interrupted by Jeff Yu, then the road would have been finished by the beginning of the next turn. Unfortunately, if you had told the worker to stop doing the road, it would not have finished the road, even though there were -2 turns left.

A proper fix for this bug would be that if you activate a worker, and the number of turns left is zero or negative (because of the terrain change) that the road gets finished immediately and the worker activated.

It's interesting that the varialble is signed when it should never be negative. I would expect it to say something like 65000 turns on the rollover.

Perhaps the worker is really TH White's Merlin from "Once and Future King."

So if Jeff would reload the game back two turns the road would be done??
:lol:

Maybe the advisor is trying to say, "This worker shoud've been done 2 turns ago. Maybe we should have him stop."

Originally posted by WillJ
He has probably changed the font. You can do that in the civilization.ini or cov3ptw.ini (might be the wrong name, but you get the point).

Originally posted by sabo10
So if Jeff would reload the game back two turns the road would be done??
:lol:
No, two turns ago there still was forest, and since building a road through the forest takes longer than building it on plains, the worker would still have been busy for another 4-6 turns.

Top Bottom