Utility: Talking CivClock

Xerol

Emperor
This little program came with the drivers for a soundcard i have in a 486 machine. It's about 8 years old, and might not work under 2000/me/xp. it got the attention of a few people here when i posted some screenshots. it's too big to attach here, so i put it on my geocities site at http://www.geocities.com/qwertysoftware/Source
scroll down a little, and find mrclock.zip. i'm not sure if it needs any dlls or similar files, if it does i'll put them up too.

btw, i run this program constantly on my machine and if you set it up properly, it doesnt show up on the taskbar and is on top of every window. it also tells you the time every 15 minutes, and has a settable alarm.

Attachments

• clockshot.jpg
    clockshot.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 3,211
Your ZIP on geocities still lacks the WPCTRL.DLL that is required by the clock. And yes, it does work on 2000/XP even.

CTL3D.DLL, as well as WPCTRL.DLL is also required to run. It says that I can't run the clock without those two DLL files.

ok, i'll zip & upload as soon as my computer will let me(it's still mad at me for making it play civ 3 for 31 hours last weekend)
when i do have it ready, it'll be clockdll.zip (POST-POSTING NOTE: it came out to 75kb)
on the same page, http://www.geocities.com/qwertysoftware/Source

and if you wanna know how to get it like i have it, you needa do a few things:
1) Either put a shortcut to the program in the StartUp folder under the Start Menu or use the Task Scheduler to "Run this program at system startup"(it ultimately puts it there anyway)
2) Go to the menu, set all of the options you want set. Then right click on the clock portion of the clock. The titlebar will disappear. (NOTE: BEFORE YOU DO THIS MAKE SURE YOU SET THE 'SAVE SETTINGS ON EXIT' OPTION)
3) Drag the clock to where you want it(just to the left of the close/restore buttons works well, as it doesnt interfere with anything there)
4) Press ctrl-alt-del and select Alarm Clock, then click 'end task'
5) Restart your system.

any questions just reply

Qwertysoft, I don't mean to nitpick or anything, it's a very promising program. I downloaded both mrclock.zip and clockdll.zip and unzipped the files from clockdll.zip and put them in to mrclock.zip. But when I tried to run the application, this occured:

Attachments

• help.jpg
    help.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 3,193
it ALWAYS looks for the dlls in the \windows\system directory, did you copy them there?

never got an error like that before. like i said, it's a win 3.1 program, and sometimes even crashes under 95/98.

I had the same problem as hbdragon88

Win2K. Has anyone ever got it to work?

Well, I think I've figured out the win2k/XP problem. Since it ALWAYS looks for the absolute path "c:\windows\system", and Win2k uses "\\WINNT\System" for all of the system files, so that could be a problem. There's always the option of creating a \Windows\System directory just for holding those files.

As far as that is concerned, you should unzip the files to a folder first anyway. I've found that running a program directly out of WinZip(or any other compression utility) almost never works.

I'm going to re-download this and try it on my current system, which is Win2k. When I first posted this I was still running 98, and I completely forgot about it.

QwertySoft said:
Well, I think I've figured out the win2k/XP problem. Since it ALWAYS looks for the absolute path "c:\windows\system", and Win2k uses "\\WINNT\System" for all of the system files, so that could be a problem. There's always the option of creating a \Windows\System directory just for holding those files.

As far as that is concerned, you should unzip the files to a folder first anyway. I've found that running a program directly out of WinZip(or any other compression utility) almost never works.

I'm going to re-download this and try it on my current system, which is Win2k. When I first posted this I was still running 98, and I completely forgot about it.

Hello QwertySoft

I guess the forum software upgrade has destroyed your link. Would you be able to provide another one please?

My Windows XP system has a C:\windows\system. Plus, if you place the DLL files in the same directory, it should find them. At least that is how Visual Basic works.

thanks!

Top Bottom