Screenshot of the Day #84: Unfinished Business

Thunderfall

Administrator
Administrator
I got this screenschot when playing a 2 vs 6 AI deity game with my brother. He had just finished off the Zulu, triggering an "out of synch" error on both our systems and warping us both back to the PTW main screen.

So while we were both cursing PTW's multiplayer stability, and all contact with the game had been lost, my former foreign advisor, apparently not comfortable with leaving his tasks unfinished, somehow found a way to bridge the boundaries of space and time to deliver me this final message....

Very weird, I have no idea why PTW continues its calculations on a game and delivers the results of these calculations in the form of this pop-up while the game itself has already been terminated for some time.

http://www.civfanatics.com/sotd/sotd84.jpg

Thanks to Kemal for the screenshot.

Hahahaha, I love it!

Originally posted by Thunderfall

Very weird, I have no idea why PTW continues its calculations on a game and delivers the results of these calculations in the form of this pop-up while the game itself has already been terminated for some time.

http://www.civfanatics.com/sotd/sotd84.jpg

Thanks to Kemal for the screenshot.

Its called "Getting the product" out before Christmas even if it has bugs. Another word for it is the "infogrames syndrome." put the product before christmas to get the christmas sales but fixing all the bugs with patches after Christmas.

I think we suffered the infogrames syndrome twice didn't we?? once in 2001 Civ III and then in 2002 PTW...
;)

HAH! That's a hilarious picture - not only is that advisor a total dweeb, he's bucking for a promotion so bad he's hacking the game itself to get your attention. When did beta-testing turn into beta-version?

How long was it until he gave you that message?

Talk about ping...;)

That's a cool interface though! I like it. (I don't have PTW that's why)

Originally posted by hbdragon88

Talk about ping...;)

I know you were only shooting for a laugh but I have a hypothesis of why it happened.

My guess would be it does not have to do with ping, but multiple programming threads, kind of like multiple small programs. One program controls the communication between computers and feeds the information to the other "single player" program. Thus the multiplayer thread goes down, but the single player thread is still functioning.

But that is ENTIRELY a shot in the dark guess. I have no evidence or reason to believe that is the case. Its just a way they may have programmed it.

I love this game... i mean, the game of the forests!

Top Bottom