Screenshot of the Day #86: Dead Paratroopers

Thunderfall

Administrator
Administrator
I was playing in Play the World v. 1.14F and I was at war with the Indians. I landed my paratroopers at their territory, then I chose: "(P)illage Improvement".

...and those paratroopers transformed into "dogs" or "monkeys". Can someone explain why those units died? :confused: Thanks to Hawker for the screenshot.

PS: If you haven't tried it yet, try airdrop a paratrooper into the ocean in the game and see what happens. :satan:

http://www.civfanatics.com/sotd/sotd86.jpg

There must be a bug in the paratroopers TF cuz I sent the exact screenie yesterday, I have invisible paratroopers

the color disk is there, but there is no paratrooper, I"m fighting ghosts now...

Oh, and the ocean-paratroopers have to be dropped in the fog of war.

Seems as though the "Fortified" animation or something like that is busted for the paratroopers. That goofy something shows up a tile "north" of where the paratrooper is. I had this happen to me during an invasion of Japan that was over a huge mountain rage.

It's a bug ;) If there's something wacked that doesn't help you, it must be a bug, one of the things that Firaxis missed ;)

What happens when you paradrop over the ocean :confused: If you drop them in the ocean... :hm:

Anyway cool screenshot. Another Snoopy's terrain graphics mod...my, that is popular.

hy didn't they copy the codes straight from vanilla civ, they worked fine there. the only reason they would doweird things is because theyve changed the game code.

rofl that's whack. And a damn lot of cities at that <x0~
Nice paradrop

That must be the strangest thing I have ever seen in CIV3… any CIV game for that matter. Very odd…
Btw before any accidents occur, what happens when you paradrop into ocean?

Originally posted by efg
That's paratroopers?!

Those are. Paratroopers are almost identical to infantry, except they can paradrop and they have slightly lower stats than infantry. And they don't upgrade.

I posted this awhile back and no one had seen it before. but I figured out what it was doing, It plays the wrong flic! if i move it around then it's ok but fortify/sentry/both bombards all show the first frame of the drop flc if used the following turn after I drop them:) show thread

The root of the problem is *very* simple. Take a look through your Art folder in the root Civilization 3 directory, then go to Units, then open Paratrooper. They misspelled the name of the .FLC file! Instead of ParatrooperFortify.flc, they have ParatrooperForfity.flc
Fixing that should solve the problem.

Originally posted by Veera Anlai
The root of the problem is *very* simple. Take a look through your Art folder in the root Civilization 3 directory, then go to Units, then open Paratrooper. They misspelled the name of the .FLC file! Instead of ParatrooperFortify.flc, they have ParatrooperForfity.flc
Fixing that should solve the problem.

I don't think that matters:) as long as the spelling is the same in the.ini file I don't know about the regular paratrooper though, I've replaced them in my games

Originally posted by bhiita
I posted this awhile back and no one had seen it before. but I figured out what it was doing, It plays the wrong flic! if i move it around then it's ok but fortify/sentry/both bombards all show the first frame of the drop flc if used the following turn after I drop them:) show thread
Yeah, that's the conclusion I came to too. The little ugly ball/monkey/dog/whatever graphic is actually what the first frame of the paratrooper's 'drop' animation - it's a rolled up parachute essentially. I had this same problem in a customized rules set and I thought it was just something I screwed up so I never mentioned it. I had an additional problem with it too - when I fortified a paratrooper, it showed this graphic. Then when I went to attack the next turn, the attack anim didn't work and the game crashed after the battle was over.

I never get to the paratroopers/helicopters stage. Do I need to play on Emperor? My games end immediately after Fission because someone always builds the UN and has the vote.

Or may be these are intentional?

There was a strong wind, and the parachutes did not open properly, and the troopers crashed on earth, bottom up, with blood spilled (zoom and check the red spots)
:vampire:
or they just landed on booby traps, and BANG!

Nice shot :)

Top Bottom