Screenshot of the Day #96: Why wouldn't they?

Thunderfall

Administrator
Administrator
I made this offer to the Persians but "they would never accept such a deal" LOL!

http://www.civfanatics.com/sotd/sotd96.jpg

I guess it's because the AI doesn't like to take advantage of you and wants everything to be perfectly fair. :)

Thanks to Cursed_Wolf for the screenshot.

:lol: I've done that too with 1 gold for 1 gold. "They will NEVER accept this deal!" :lol:

Hmm, yeah, I was thinking that I saw something similar not too far back, and then, there you go. The thread discussed how they aren't programmed to accept gold for gold deals, just like they won't trade cities for cities. Still verrry interesting though.

If you've beaten the AI to a certain extent where he is willing to give away one of his cities for peace, if you tried to offer him something in return other than the peace treaty for the city (like 50 gold or a world map or something), he will never accept. So what happens is, the AI is willing to give you the city for free, but not willing if you tried to offer something in addition to the peace treaty.

gold for gold trades almost NEVER happen since one of the later CivIII pre-expansion patches.

Its declining because the bugs are being fixed :) Also because we've played long enough to see a lot of these ourselves. I still think it was worth archiving though.

Maybe the AI was a coin collector and wanted to hold on to its' coins.

"I'll give you my rare coin for your rare coin."
"I'm sorry, we can't accept that deal."

Two words: Money Laundering :)

You guys are missing the point. The AI has been programmed to refuse gold for gold trades... but that's the Human's Advisor! Shouldn't he be like... "oh yes sir that's an excellent idea I wish I had thought if it, very good good move sir! Brilliant!"

Good screenshot though anyway.

How hard would it be to program the AI to examine what is being given vs. what is being offered? Obviously this trade would be in the AIs favor and should therefore accept it. I can easily see how a lump sum for gold per turn trade would not be accepted though.

Okay I thought some of this would be obvious (and yes its been discussed before) but the discussion rages on for some reason.

First lets just ignore the fact that trading 47 gold for 48 gold is absurd in an of itself.

The AI is programmed to give specific weight to all you offer and all that it has. This is why when you are ahead by twelve techs but you want to buy Communism from another Civ, that the civ will demand three techs in return or a whole buttload of cash. That's the way the AI trades. "You want what I got? Well fancy that mister human wants something from me. Well fleshboy, you gotta pay through the nose for it because you have lots of things I want and I'm programmed for selfishness."

So in this instance, the AI is not programmed to weight the fact that 47 equals 47 gold, because its a ludicrous trade. It considers that you have more gold than it does and in its mind his gold has more weight than yours and if you offer him gold he's not going to consider it as valuable, but then again the AI is thinking that you are going to trade gold for tech or something like that. The Firaxis programmers have better things to do (like figure out how to airlift settlers/workers/leaders/artillery) than to recode the application to reanalyze trades like this.

Perhaps its the AIs way of saying "Just give me 1 piece of gold as a token, stupid!"

Originally posted by Hellfire
The Firaxis programmers have better things to do (like figure out how to airlift settlers/workers/leaders/artillery)
Yeah, that's a true annoyance!! What's the point?? I don't remember trying to airlift leaders or artillery, but settlers and workers I do remember... I demand it to be patched!

About the real topic of this thread, maybe the Firaxians have implemented a protection against very stupid trades, like that one in the picture, just in case that you accept it by an accident (or because you're stupid/newbie/stupid_newbie)?

Hellfire, it does not matter if you offered them 1 million gold and all your techs for their one gold, they "will never except that deal" (not to be confused with insulted).

Originally posted by egreen007
How hard would it be to program the AI to examine what is being given vs. what is being offered? Obviously this trade would be in the AIs favor and should therefore accept it. I can easily see how a lump sum for gold per turn trade would not be accepted though.

It can be very hard. Depends on how it is programmed. And why would they? It's a ridiculous offer. Gold for gold per turn IS possible. Consider it to be a loan.

Top Bottom