Screenshot of the Day #99: A Connecting Principle

Thunderfall

Administrator
Administrator
An old pre-Civ3 release screenshot. It shows some debugging features (minimap river highlighting, excessive grids) and programmer art. There's probably some old/placeholder art in there too.

http://www.civfanatics.com/sotd/sotd99.jpg

This screenshot is dated July 21, 2001 (before Civ3's release) and is submitted by Mike Breitkreutz of Firaxis. I am just glad Firaxis changed the font! Thanks to MikeB for this special screenshot.

PS: The next SOTD will be our 100th SOTD!!! Stay tuned. ;)

Um, is that whipped cream on the top of those mountains or snow? :lol:

That font alone could have single-handedly killed Civ 3 o_o

Gothic. :)

The grid seems to go through the middles of what we now have as tiles. Is there an option to have the grid this way in the actual game?

Yes, ctrl + G to switch grid on and off.

*Edit, sorry wasn´t looking at the pciture.... :)

That font was never intended to be the game's font. At that point in development, the artists were still deciding on a font to use for the game so we gave them the ability to set which font the game would use without editing the code. The font in this screen shot was just one I grabbed out of Windows to make sure this ability worked. I think it was Lucida Blackletter.

The red grid is not the actual grid. If you look closely, you can see the gray grid on there also. The red grid is used to highlight the vertices of the real grid so I could see where the river tiles were being drawn (river tiles are drawn on the vertices -- not directly onto the grid). (Incidentally, the red lines on the minimap are the rivers).

The snow-capped mountains you see in this screen shot are placeholder art (done by me!) that I used before the actual art was completed. You know you like my artwork. :lol:

Poor Greek settler :D
I wonder whose face is in the upper left?

Originally posted by Matrix

You're glad! :eek: I'm astounded! That Gothic is beautiful. :( Why did they change it?

People probably had trouble reading it. Plus, it's wouldn't be that appropriate in the modern era ;D

Cool. Although - I never understood why they ever removed the big buttons to conduct espionage/diplomacy and those three buttons on the minimap - like hell! The ones in the real game are tiny and hard to press.

What's with the red grid? It makes it ten times harder to know what's what...

Very interesting screenshot. I remember seeing some of these pre-beta screens while the game was being developed, and I liked the big buttons in the info box and in the minimap.

Oh, and Mike -- you could do a graphic mod to be released in the next patch... I'm sure we would all love it! ;)

That font changing ability sounds like something that should have been kept...like as a preference in the game.

Top Bottom