Screenshot of the Day #103: Warmongers

Thunderfall

Administrator
Administrator
I was playing the scenario Kal-El's earth map v 1.6 (the one with preplaced starting locations and resources) multiplayer with a friend. I had a look at the scenario settings, there are no changes to the rules of the game at all. Playing the Zulu who are militaristic and expansionistic, I noticed something rather odd; my cities seems to have 6 happy citizens, although I only have 3 luxuries and have 0 luxury rating set. There are 2 impis acting as military police (2 content faces), 1 temple (1 content) face and then the 3 luxuries. There is no market place or anything that could account for the 3 extra happy faces. Then I found that being at war with the mongols and scandinavians actually made my people happier. I was not aware of this function either though, I wonder what triggers that...

http://www.civfanatics.com/sotd/sotd103.jpg

I also experienced similar things in my games. After war is declared some of my cities would start to celebrate "We love the King Day" the next turn. :king:

Thanks to Jackie Niebling for the screenshot.

It's a reverse war weariness effect; when you declare war, they will be happy and your empire will erupt into WLTKDs all over.

I am not familiar with DyP, having stupid AOL and not being able to spend fourteen hours (129MB, 9MB an hour) to download it, so what are those units in the city?

Originally posted by DiamondzAndGunz
Ehm. It's not DyP... it's just the earth map... Those are zulu impi's :lol:.
hehe... At first I thought hbdragon knows more about Civ3 than me, then he asked about those Impis... ;) :p

Originally posted by Thunderfall

hehe... At first I thought hbdragon knows more about Civ3 than me, then he asked about those Impis... ;) :p

:lol: Thats what I was thinking. ;)

Then again, the reverse war weariness happens to me all the time.

Silverflame said...
Then again, the reverse war weariness happens to me all the time.

This situation commonly occurs when someone else declares war on you. I guess it's meant to symbolize your citizens rallying in support of their country. (i.e. "Look what those accursed Persians have gone and done now. Let's get 'em!")
If you're the one to decalre war, you probably won't see it as often...or at least that's been my experience. This generally happens to me when an AI civ makes an unreasonable demand and I tell him to go soak his head. I guess the people like it when their leader talks tough.
:lol:

This is one reason why I go Depostism -> Monarchy -> Democracy.

Because while you're a Despot or King your citizens will always be happy when at war. It usually works out to one for each country you are at war with. If you aren't going for a diplomatic win declare war on everyone and have your cities continually in WLTKD. With one or two luxuries and a multitude of wars you can keep all your citizens happy without building a single "happiness" city improvement. Word of caution though, fight a defensive war, that is pile offensive troops into border cities and only attack when they are near your cities, with fast units you'll usually destroy several attackers at no risk and also its likely you'll get one or two great leaders in the process. Once the tide turns, that is your opponents have destroyed their economy to fight you they continually beg for peace, then go out and take what cities you need. Go take their capitals or obliterate them altogether and then make peace once you've got Democracy or close to it.

By the time you get Democracy you should've taken enough land and squashed your enemies and produced several great leaders. Usually by this time its basically game over as you'll have a huge lead and can do anything you want to win except maybe a diplomatic victory.

a.k.a. Traditional Enemy bonus.

The first time you go to war with someone, if they declare war one you, then every subsequent time you go to war with them you will get a 'reverse WW' bonus. This bonus applies under all forms of government.

There are several threads about this...

Yup, it happens when they declare war on you. And I have sometimes had cities riot because I got peace from such wars :D

thought it was common knowledge and it was discussed several times. Why is it SOTD, is there something special about this one?
If not I will send a shot with a tank defeating a spearman ;)

Does being a militaristic civ affect this? I have noticed this reverse war weariness (even when I declare war) much more often when playing the Germans or Chinese than the Babylonians.

Originally posted by anu
Does being a militaristic civ affect this? I have noticed this reverse war weariness (even when I declare war) much more often when playing the Germans or Chinese than the Babylonians.

yes i think so. when i was the ottomans,(scien. indust) i had less of that. but now i am vikings (expan. militar.) and it happens more now.

Wow I knew about this 'support our leader in these darks times' thing, but I didn't know it would happen if you declare war on somone thats already declared war on you (The manual mentioned less war weariness when fighting a common enemy--which is practically backwards--but I guess this is what they meant).

something like this happened to me. i was the greeks with a
monarchy and i was at war with the zulus and the babylonians.
as they lived on a different continent i did not care.when i had
gone over to democracy i thought it a good thing to end these
wars,do a little trading and maximize my peoples abilities.next
turn my cities are in disorder!!??

Top Bottom