Unit Palette Problems and my solution

Kinboat

Conan the Librarian
This is a copy of a post about palette work...

This is the way I do it... I render just as Bitmaps, then I have a freeware program called Pedit (Link below) I can open one of my renders and also open a palette file I've prepared in advance (this palette just has the civ specific and shadow colors set, the rest are left black). Then I can go through the image selecting colors to fill in the blank spaces in the palette, until I've either run out of space or selected as many different colors as I want (there is also a preview button that lets you see the image with the palette you're creating, so you can test to see if you missed any tones). Then I can just save the palette and apply it to my Flicster generated storyboard... Then using Steph's SBB program I get a bitmap that I paste over the Flicster Storyboard and everything should come out fine.
The shadows are set up how I use them, you'll have to adjust them to whatever method you use. Also if you are using a civ-specific color other than Blue apply the finished palette to the storyboard and re-export from flicster with whatever color you want and then paste the animations in.
Any other questions, I'll try to answer as I can...

Attachments

• pedit_palette_editor.zip
    94.5 KB · Views: 871
i used the utility.but i can't open the palette file that created by photoshop 6.01 .i got a mistake message. why?

When you import a palette file into Photoshop you need to save it as an .act file. As an interresting side note: the wonderful palette editor that Kinboat has pointed us to doesn't "flip" the .act palette. So you will need to do it backwards. Here I'll post an example.

Attachments

• photoshop example.zip
    437 bytes · Views: 271
...and here's an image for the lazy

Attachments

• photopal.jpg
    photopal.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 1,215
hey, im using photoshop 7 and i cant make the palette work fine, i just twisted the palete because is an act tryed it normally i made ever single think that was mentioned here but i couldnt make it work, here is a zip with my pcx, the storyboard in bmp, the bmp that i use for making the palette in pedit and 2 palettes i made and dont work. can anyone check that out and tell me what the **** is going wrong ????

thx in advance

Fedex

Attachments

• sb and palette.zip
    74 KB · Views: 198
This may seem funny but I am serious about this.....I use photoshop 4.0 le.....and yes I have created and edited many units but will the other .act files that were saved by like photoshop 8 or 7 work on 4?

Top Bottom