Screenshot of the Day #104: Invisible Sub

Thunderfall

Administrator
Administrator
I'm not sure if this is a bug with the Mac version of Civ3, or just a screen refresh issue, but everytime my nuclear subs have fired their tactical nuke, they develop a cloaking device :) It's just a shame that the effect doesn't last into the next turn!

http://www.civfanatics.com/sotd/sotd104.jpg

Thanks to Frunobulax for the screenshot.

lol!
i bet the AI still saw it!
its a conspiricy to hide all your units so you dont know where they are!

Hmm...do you suppose that the AI bribes the computer??? :eek:

I think that the nuke luanch pushed the sub too far below the water.

Originally posted by OmegaMega
I think that the nuke luanch pushed the sub too far below the water.

:rotfl: Ya the crew forgot to empty ballast

Don't think of it as a bug in the Mac version; Think of it as a feature! ;) :lol:

Originally posted by SewerStarFish
If I fired a nuclear missile,I'd dive my sub too :)

Exactly what I was thinking.

Originally posted by DiamondzAndGunz
Don't think of it as a bug in the Mac version; Think of it as a feature! ;) :lol:

Yeah, their subs are actually submerged in the mac version for one turn! :lol:

this reminds me of the pic in OT on 'American Stealth Fighters' - where you see the pilot and ladder, but not the plane he climbs into.

screen refresh problem I guess, I see similar things if I nuke cities and the next active unit doesn't require a 'move' of the screen - and that is PC version.

Wow..... Wouldn't you love to have that?

Edit: 2000th post!!!

Now that is a strange SOTD, I have never seen that happened before.

Well, it can't be that the missle launch pushed the sub under.

A ballistic missle sub lets a missle containing pod go that is less dense than water. This increases the density of the sub. We know from our fluid statics the manometer equation p=ghro. knowing that the change in mass is negliable whilr the volume remains constant, our ro is virtually un changed as is our downward force, f=mg, so remembering that the surface area of the sub is unchanged, area=area. so: f=parea, ghro/area=mg-> ro/(m area)=h. since mass (m) and the area are constant, and knowing that the derivative of the density (dro/dt) is 0, the depth change is negliable. :crazyeye: :lol:

I think it was the ai intimdating the sub.

(sorry, i've done 1 too many fluid mechanics problems)

Cool!

Submerging the sub...those seen spots do freak me out though. They look weird.

Sounds like a graphic mess up to me, maybe in the attack or fidget animation? Dunno, strange to be sure:D.

This is nothing new at all. I discovered that bug already in f.1.16 patch. It was really annoying, since I got trouble to find my subs. I thought that was patched, since I have not discovered it later. Anyway, that problem was not related to the Mac version.

Originally posted by PCHighway
Sounds like a graphic mess up to me, maybe in the attack or fidget animation? Dunno, strange to be sure:D.

Nope, it was not a graphic problem. It was also other problems related to that. When you launched a nuke, you also nuked your own sub, even if it was out of the nuke range. So the only way too handle it, was to make sure that it was a great distance between the target area and your sub :D

Originally posted by hbdragon88
Cool!

Submerging the sub...those seen spots do freak me out though. They look weird.
Yeah, what's with the four lighter circles? If you have a sub there, shouldn't you be able to see more of your surroundings?

Top Bottom