New unit; Bronze age wargalley

Smoking mirror

Ships Captain
Another unit I've been working on for some time. I wasn't sure how to tackle the attack animation so in the end I opted for a ram attack, as it just meant using the rowing animation again.

Here are the files

Its a large wargalley from the broze age, though ship design did not improve much through the iron age, just the addition of more sails, more rows of oars, and bigger rams!

Just use it as an improvement of the standard galley, or perhaps as an no resource sea transport for the middle ages.

Attachments

• warunit2.gif
    warunit2.gif
    71.2 KB · Views: 3,687
Hmm, This would be a good heavy warship for the Classical Era to the Middle Ages :).

I put perhaps a little too much detail in to this unit, that one of the reasons It took ages for me to get around to finishing it ---> long render times.
However, I've been thinking about working on some new naval units, perhaps a ship of the line or something. Iv'e just bought a book with lots of pictures of Ironclad era ships so I may do one some them as well. Of course it all depends on how long it takes me, and if I can make a good model without too much rendertime spawning detail.

what I'm thinking is a ship of the line, and a turret ship (the upgrade from the Iron frigate, it mounts two "monitor" style turrets on the main deck but also has full sails and rigging) and "irons-sides" confederate ironclad and a "iron-sides" mortar iron clad.
Also I would probably make gunraft (just a floating "hut" with a small steam engine) and gunraft with Iron armour (i could make both quite easily, using colour replacement and two deaths). These were the very first riverboat warships, quick and easy to build but with obvious advantages for battles close to shore.

Of course all of this is just what I'd like to do, Idealy; What actualy gets done is another matter.

Originally posted by Smoking mirror
...and a turret ship (the upgrade from the Iron frigate, it mounts two "monitor" style turrets on the main deck but also has full sails and rigging) and "irons-sides" confederate ironclad and a "iron-sides" mortar iron clad.
Also I would probably make gunraft (just a floating "hut" with a small steam engine) and gunraft with Iron armour (i could make both quite easily, using colour replacement and two deaths). These were the very first riverboat warships, quick and easy to build but with obvious advantages for battles close to shore.

Of course all of this is just what I'd like to do, Idealy; What actualy gets done is another matter.

I like that idea Smoking Mirror :D. Can you possibly do that unit :).

Absolutely beautiful unit, SM! Were definately in need of more ancient naval units of all shapes, sizes and colors hehe.

A question for those in the know: Would this vessel use a cast bronze or iron ram on her bow?

Cool, really, really cool

Originally posted by Redking
Ship of the Line is in the works elsewhere if you don't want to double up on another's work.

Almost forgot, nice boat!

I don`t see a problem with 2 Ship of the Line-units.
It just gives more variety.(There are not many ship-units
of this type available.)

Great work,Smoking mirror.

Well, I must say that I am humbled. :worshp: This is actually the type of ship I thought of to fill the gap that I made the Galleass for. Compared to your ship, mine looks like a toy. I very well may take my unit out of my mod and put yours in.

And now you're going to one up me on the SoL . . . :saiyan:

:lol:

Ah, that's ok, mine were just place holders anyway, since no one seemed interested in making these ships.

EDIT: Oh, by the way, do you have some pedia files, SM?

You are too much humble Colonel Kraken.
Your Galeass and Smoking mirrors Wargalley
are both excellent units.

Colonel Kraken;
Your ship looks great, and its from a slightly later era, armed as it is with a cannon. I don't see any problem with having multiple sailing ships, as there is plenty of used they can be put to.
I've seen the ship of the line that being produced and it looks great, I just want more veriety in sea units.

Kal-el; I'm going to leave the colonial rifleman to someone else. I can produce foot units with my program, but compared to those that have been produced using poser, mine are slow to make and of a lesser quality- So I may as well concentrate on what I can do best; Machinery, planes and ships or buildings etc..

Originally posted by Smoking mirror
Colonel Kraken;
Your ship looks great, and its from a slightly later era, armed as it is with a cannon. I don't see any problem with having multiple sailing ships, as there is plenty of used they can be put to.
I've seen the ship of the line that being produced and it looks great, I just want more veriety in sea units.

Oh, that's ok, SM, I was just joking anyway (mostly) ;) Your units are great. I look forward to them. Oh, by the way, I found a perfect fit for your Trireme in my mod: it's the Middle Ages icon/flic for the Galley. I have a lot of my Ancient Age units change pictures when they enter the Middle Ages. It works great! Thank you. You know, now I'm going to have to make a "Late Middle Ages Galleass" using your new unit as a base. :p :lol:

And, Rocoteh, I thank you very much for your kind compliments. It means a lot. :)

Thanks you all. I'm so glad there is beginning to be a lot more sailing warships (and warships in general). SM, do you know anything about your paddle wheel steam late ironclad type ship you made up? Someone was going to pick up the ball on that one, but I haven't heard anything about it in a long time. Is something like that in the works?

Cheers,

Colonel :goodjob:

@Smoking Mirror: Do you have any plans on making the Turretship (The one with the Iron Frigate's Hull and the Turrets from the Monitor, and the sloaping action of the hull like the Merrimack). Since I am requesting this unit :).

Top Bottom