Screenshot of the Day #105: Carrot

Thunderfall

Administrator
Administrator
I've read about this one, but I don't think I've seen a screenshot of it yet. I guess we've kept him happy by doing all of our own research this game!

http://www.civfanatics.com/sotd/sotd105.jpg

I must have received half a dozen Carrot IQ SOTD submissions... :) Thanks to Griselda for the screenshot.

This is probably the first time I see someone NOT beelining for Scientific Method. :)

Maybe they're already behind and in need of infantry to fend off an aggressor. It happens.

Originally posted by Hurricane
This is probably the first time I see someone NOT beelining for Scientific Method. :)
Scientific method? I always go for Sanitation first to let my cities grow further.

But mostly because we needed to :hammer: !

The screenshot was taken from an Always War game, which is being played here. The game is currently at 1920 AD, and we're doing our best to take over the world before 2050.

We have to declare war on a civ the same turn that we meet it, so we've been doing our own research (silly AI never had anything to trade when we met them, and we wouldn't trade them gold per turn anyway). Still, our core is big, and the AI don't know what to to about a perpetual war. We're ahead in research, and weren't too worried about ToE. Usually the AI also ignores that tree, so there wasn't much competition anyway.

We had a palace prebuild for ToE, while we reaserched replaceable parts, medicine, and sanitation. Then, we grabbed scientific method, and in the space of two turns finished ToE and leader-rushed Hoover.

Apparently the sceince advisor liked that strategy. :lol:

-Griselda

Originally posted by Mercade
Scientific method? I always go for Sanitation first to let my cities grow further.

I'm the same :)

Thunderfall, I submitted this screenshot twice, along with two others. Most of the adviaors say funny things when you repeativly click on them.

Edit: Thanks. I received them all. Keep submitting them. ;) -- TF

Originally posted by Griselda

We had a palace prebuild for ToE, while we reaserched replaceable parts, medicine, and sanitation. Then, we grabbed scientific method, and in the space of two turns finished ToE and leader-rushed Hoover.

Apparently the sceince advisor liked that strategy. :lol:

-Griselda

That's a nice strategy - I always flogged ToE in the rush for Hoover (I don't think I've ever not built Hoover in Civ 2 or 3). But then the palace prebuid thing is new to me.

A question - do people routinely get more than one leader? I'm going for a culture victory, got a leader ridding the French from my continent, toyed with making a swordsman army so I could buid Heroic Epic, but instead kept him a few turns to rush Leonardo. Loads of elite victories while my leader is sitting in Berlin, but no Rommel, or whatever he'd be called.
Now the war's over, continent mine, time to consolidate for a bit. The Indians found one of those tundra cities the AI loves and I send up a couple of knights. First elite combat since Barbarossa built Leonardo and - bam! - new leader (whose name still escapes me)
Seems to me to be a lot less than 1/16 or 1/12 elite victories to give leader. Are there other criteria - like not letting you stock up on leaders to rush-build every wonder?
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Indeed you cannot get a leader when you already have one. But it is 1/16 or 1/12 to get one, whenever you get one sooner someone out there has to wait longer. :lol:

It does depend on map size and play style because more elite victories means more leaders.

Finally! :) I've heard about this before, but this is solid proof that it does happens. Like the "sleep is for the weak" one - I didn't believe it until there was a screenshot of that.

Quite a different strategy in tech researching. I usually go for nationalism, steam power, sanitation, scientifice method, and then replaceable parts.

If there were always one right way to tech, in all games, we all would have moved on to other games long ago, right?

While there are some tech choices that are hard to beat in most cases (opening with pottery, for example), I'm happy that there's enough variety that we can choose a different path depending upon the particulars of the game. Now, if they can teach the AI to do the same, then we'll really be playing. :p

-Griselda

Originally posted by Ribannah
Replaceable Parts doubles your Worker speed. It tends to be my first goal after Industrialization, too.

I agree. I almost always head for Replaceable Parts before Scientific Method. Usually I'm so far ahead of the AI in tech that TOE isn't a high priority at that point.

Originally posted by Dr Jimbo
Are there other criteria - like not letting you stock up on leaders to rush-build every wonder?

Far as I know--and who am I, really, just a clown, right?-- you can only have one (1) leader at a time...

Later!

--The Clown to the Left

That this is a quote from the movie Real Genius, starring Val Kilmer (his best and really only good role, unless you like Iceman in Top Gun:cool: ).

But the character who says the line is Professor Hathaway:

"Mitch, compared to you, most people have the IQ of a carrot. We're different than most people, Mitch. We're better."

Just thought you guys would like the reference education. :D :D

Jingle

ps. The quote is from memory, please excuse me if its not verbatim.

Some people have a life, Jinglehopper. ;) Somebody also mentioned about a quote from a movie - about the trade advisor who said "I'm not even supposed to be here!"

Right, that's from Clerks. Dante says, "I'm not even supposed to be here today," about five times throughout the movie. It is his lament.

I haven't seen that one before in the game though. Thanks for the heads up, dragon.

Duh, I forgot that was in my signature, too. That's weird. I didn't know it was in the game when I put it on there when I signed up. Funny how everything in life goes back to Civ3.

something like this once happened to me in the ancient or medieval era (cant remeber which) a long time ago. he didnt talk about a carrot though, he said something else, but i've forgotten what he said now.

Top Bottom