American Civil War (by Procifica)

Procifica

ACW Scenario Creator
It is the summer of 1861. The Union and the Confederacy have their forces lined up on their respective borders. Take command of the Union, and try to subjugate the Confederacy back into the Union. Take command of the Confederacy, and try to conquer the Union to force them to accede to your independence. The Native American tribes though, are hostile to both sides and will seek to drive both belligerents away from their native lands...

*****Please go to this thread for the most recent version of this scenario: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=49742 *****

This scenario for now is intended to be Civilization 3 only. If you wish to run the scenario on PTW, there is a InstallPTW.txt included. Again, this scenario is recommended for regular Civ3 only.
Annoucement: Testers are needed to see if scenario now properly works with PTW. Convert the .bic file to .bix file and try to run the scenario normally. Post results in this thread.

Special Note: Full-release version is tenatively scheduled to be complete on April 5th, 2003. There will be further improvements upon the full-release version, as needed.

This is Beta Version 1.93 (for Civ3 & PTW) of my American Civil War Scenario. Please be sure and read all text files before playing.

While this is a beta version of the scenario, most bugs have been found and fixed in the course of numerous playtesting. If you find any bugs or mistakes, please post them in this thread or send Procifica a PM.

This is now one of the most realistic scenarios on the CivFanatics Forum, and I'm hoping to continue to make it even more realistic.

Average load time: 2 to 5 minutes.
Average amount of time between turns: 30 seconds to 3 minutes.
To reduce time between turns: Turn off enemy animations and movement.
Note: About 1/2 of the units are immobile, and are meant for defensive purposes. After the first turn, turns should be able to be done considerably faster.

Download Beta Version 1.93 here

To install, unzip the file, then read the Install.txt file for further instructions. If you're playing it on PTW, read the InstallPTW.txt.

Installiation instructions for unit graphics are included with the .zip file. Credit to the creators also is included.

Download graphics for the Confederate Ram here
Download graphics for the Union and Confederate Ironclad Warships here
Download graphics for the Union and Confederate Cavalry, and Raider here

If you downloaded the scenario, let me know what you think! Rate this thread to rate the scenario.

For more information on the Scenario as well as some nice screenshots, look here
Or you can scroll down to post #4 on this page for more information.

Beta Versions 1.0x, 1.1x, 1.2x, 1.3x, 1.40, 1.5x, 1.6x, 1.7x, 1.8x, 1.90, 1.91 and 1.92 have been replaced by Beta Version 1.93. Changes are documented in the Version.txt file included with it as well as below.

Any updates or changes will be posted here.

All previous versions are listed in the version.txt file that comes with the latest version available for download. I've deleted these to save space on this forum page and make it easier to read the more recent changes.

Beta Version 1.90: Home Guards, US Regulars, and Garrisons now will be using the Combat Experience Level as a reference to # of men instead of level of experience. Unit costs and stats have been totally and completely redone. Confederate Militia, Confederate Irregular, Confederate Guerilla, and Union Rider have been added. Attack bonus vs. "barbarians" has been reduced to 0%. Militia units have been reorganized, based on # of men, similar to Home Guards. Several ships have been added/deleted in the Gulf, others have been moved. Several Atlantic ships also have been moved. All rivers are now fully navigable, all inland harbors also are fully navigable. Garrisons have been added to several CSA coastal cities and near Vicksburg. Cavalry Brigades have been reorganized based on # of men. Fortress Monroe added. The Great Lakes are fully navigable. Clarksville and Johnsonville have been added. Capitol added to Richmond. CSA government "free" units reduced to 90. Fortress Guns now have 0 range. AI cost factor reduced to 7. ACWunits.txt updated. Pediaicons.txt updated. Civilopedia.txt updated.

Beta Version 1.91: 76% ERROR BUG FIXED. Fix was made by importing all data from old acw.bic to a new acw.bic file. Confederate Guerilla now requires Suspension of Habeas Corpus. Coastal Gun and Fortress Gun defense increased by 2 each. Cost of Coastal Gun is now 300. Coastal Gun bombard is now 1. Fortress Gun bombard is now 12. InstallPTW.txt updated. Acknowledgements.txt updated. Techs.txt updated. Edit: 76% error bug is not fixed as of yet, work is in progress.

Beta Version 1.92: 76% error bug possibly fixed. 1860 tech is no longer required for any units. Union Rider now has cost and stats. USA and CSA AI now will build growth often.

Beta Version 1.93: Gold has been added to the mountains and hills in the western territories from Fort Laramie to Fort Craig. Fort Pillow, Fort St. Philip/Jackson, and Dry Tortugas added. Key West added. Civilopedia.txt updated.

Wonderfull! Can't wait to play it, be expecting some comments from me later on as I was planning to do a Civil War mod... untill my other comp died on me.

Kyle

Erm, just unzipped it and all... but wheres the BIC or BIX file? I'm only assuming theres one going by that lovely US map you posted a Screen Shot of and know you spent along time working on.

Some general information about the scenario.

I've created the map, to be as accurate as possible. I divided the 160 X 160 map into latitude/longitude blocks, of .15 lat and .25 long. The map stretches from 68 W to 108 W, and from 23 N to 47 N. The map includes the eastern half of the areas known as New Mexico Territory and Colorado Territory, to include the Civil War battles that took place in those areas. In particular, the battles that took place near Santa Fe were important.

Terrain placement was done as accurately as possible, but I could not find a really good source of such, so some areas might be off. I did the best I could and still am updating some areas as I go.

Cities I have placed to within .5 longitude and .3 latitude of their actual latitude/longitude. Nearly all cities though, are within .25/.15. City populations are on a sliding scale, based on the 1860 US Census. Some cities appear to be larger than they should be, this is due to large county populations, or very large increases from the 1860 to 1870 census. In some instances, the larger population includes suburbs with large populations which couldn't be fit due to space restrictions. New York City would be an example of this, Brooklyn at the time was an independent city, but it couldn't fit on the map, so its 272,000 people were combined with NYC's 830,000.

Forts have been placed within the same degree of accuracy, but also all of the forts in the scenario existed in the early 1860's.

Indian tribes have been roughly placed as to where they were located in the early 1860's.

"Railroad" placement is as accurate as possible to the actual railroads of 1860, except for the Northeast, where I could not find a good map. Some areas don't have as many railroads as they should, because it would create too much clutter and hurt the concept of Cavalry raids.

There are currently 79 units, alot of these though are merely Union and Confederate versions of the same thing, with slightly different stats.

There are about 39 techs in the scenario.

River placement also is as accurate as possible, and only major or ACW significant rivers were placed. The Mississippi, Missouri, Ohio, Red, Tennessee, and Cumberland Rivers have been made navigable for some or most of their length, to simulate the ability of gunboats to traverse these.

Unit placement is as accurately as possible for the summer of 1861, particulary the armies on the respective frontiers. Some of the "backwater" garrisons may not be completely accurate. Home guards and militia are based on a sliding scale of city population and State population respectively. All units are named as appropriate, to provide more realism to the scenario.

Resources are placed to give each side the ability to build what they need, and if possible are placed in areas where they were likely to be found in 1860. The map though, doesn't have alot of resources on it to make them more valuable.

Irrigation was placed mainly based on city population, and in some instances additional irrigation was placed to connect cities. A mine was given to each city in the Appalachian Mountain chain, from New York to Alabama.

More information will be posted as needed.

Ok, .bic file is now included, was an oversight when I was combining the two files into one. Sorry for the mess up.

Not a problem, see I got to find the first unknown bug :) Besides, gave me a chance to read the unit text, looks good. I do have afew suggestions on the unit stats running around in my head but want to see how they work in the game right now :).

I'll post tomorrow with some of the items I had for mine... and yup, having Native American's in the west was one of them, glad you thought of it too!

Kyle

Definitely, which is why the map extends out to New Mexico/Colorado, not only for that reason, but because several major battles were fought in New Mexico.

Can't have the American Civil War without the Native Americans.

I haven't fully tested the effects of the unit numbers, I've already modified the adv. cavalry and carbines attack down by 1, based on reading I've done on the Civil War recently. (one of the last minute changes)

Rate the scenario by rating this thread...forgot to post a poll.

Scenario working ok for those who have downloaded it?

It will... I just have to convert the Pedia to PTW format, just haven't had the time yet.

I think this scenerio would work alot better as a PTW for afew reasons amoung which is that your able to set the dates and turn format to better show the Civil War.

Kyle

I wish I could put it into PTW format, but my PTW editor doesn't work for some reason.

No one is going to give me feedback? Positive or negative?

I've finaly made it over here :) and be patient ;) You'll soon have more feed back than you'll care to deal with :lol: It takes a few days some times for everyone to make the rounds :) I'll let you know of anything as soon as I play it.

I saw your 'unemployed' remark and am right there with you :crazyeye:

This is a very interesting scenario and one I have been doing some work and research myself. I haven't had much of a chance to get into the game but did look a lot at the work you put in. First of all I like the fact that you added the native americans. I was thinking of some how possibly adding the French or the british to the scenario. The french were very close to joining the confederacy which could have had a huge impact on the war. I'm not exactly sure how to add the posibilty but it could be a cool alternative. Second I didn't see much in the way of scouts both military and civilian and both were crucial in providing information of troop movement. Third I would like to see some of the talented creators produce some of the units especially the different types of artillery and rounds they fired. As far as artillery in the game I honestly don't feel that any of the ranges should be farther than 2 ( and even that is pushing it) but that can always be changed for individual game play. I would like to see a mortar ship somewhere in the game to relate to their use in the west by the union. I leave you with that for now but I do have more ideas and feedback if you are interested. I applaud the effort and attention to detail, so far I really like what I see.

Thank you BHTM29, for the detailed insight.

Ok, first I want to touch on the Mortar Boat, I had that unit in till close to the end of the first beta version, then took it out when I realized that it could be used on ships too (mortar boats were mainly for land use, on forts).

As far as artillery ranges, I believe only the Confederate Rail Gun has a range of 3, and it did have an extended range (I believe up to 25 miles). I have been considering redoing some of the artillery, allowing for short range (like canister firing cannons), and the longer range ones currently in (like the Parrotts). The canisters would have a range of 1, and the Parrots a range of 2, as an example. The ranges would be nicer done if the map was larger (and the scale smaller, right now each square represents .15 lat/.25 long) Looking back, I should have went with a larger map. (and may recreate it with such later)

Scouts...I do have raiders in the game, but yeah, I still am working on how to improve cavalry's use overall as scouts, as well as the raiders. Cavalry was the main scouts of both sides. Also, the Home Guards can "see invisible" which means they can detect the raiders. So in a sense, that gives them a function as scouts (only other cavalry units can "see invisible"). It would help if railroads actually worked like railroads, instead of being instant movement, and if roads did not allow cavalry and other units with movement 2+ to be able to move really far. One solution I've been thinking about is making all terrain minimum movement 2. Increasing roads to 1/5 movement (instead of 1/4).

The french and british, I'm not sure how they could be fairly implemented.

I've been reading the 3 part series on the Civil War by Shelby Foote, which has been very very very helpful in my creating this scenario, as well as some of the improvements I've made and will be making.

To bhiita: Just got 5 more applications today...living in a small town sucks :p

I tried playing it, but it said something about missing pediaicons and quit.

Did you install it correctly anonymous4401? You have to make sure to copy the Units folder packaged with the scenario into your Art folder.

To BHTM29: I've added in a Scout unit, which has poor A/D values but has Radar so it has a larger visibile range. I've also added short range artillery.

I have installed beta version 1.10 and have playtested
it during the last hours. As Union player I have began an
offensive in the Midwest and also invaded Virginia (that is tried
to invade Virginia) The Confederate army stopped me at
Manassas. I am playing very aggressive with the intention to
see how AI responds. So far it responds good.

After 6 turns there were civil unrest in most of the great cities.
Maybe churches should generate more happy faces?
Great that you added more units.

I like this scenario more and more. It gives you the right
"Civil War-feel".

I rate it 5*****.

Keep up the good work.

I installed v 1.10, and opened the art file, and all I found in each unit folder was a text file. When I tried to start it, it said something about a missing PediaIcons_ANIM_NAME and quit.

Top Bottom