Screenshot of the Day #111: Nuclear Meltdown

Pretty interesting. I never experienced a nuclear meltdown myself (and never plan to :)), uhh, yeah, pretty interesting.

Is that a riflemen unit at the left of Chernobyl? looks weird (hat and uniform)....

Self-serving I have to say - naming a city after the Chernobyl disaster. I've seen the animation showing what happened on the day of the disaster in Microsoft Encarta hundreds of times...

There's a musketeer AND a rifleman near Chernobyl. Have to say this SOTD is one of the coolest yet. I've never had a nuclear meltdown before - maybe because I let the governor control all moods and never let it sink into disorder.

Originally posted by WildFire444
That is indeed a Musketeer. Should be upgraded no....?

Well, the AI sometimes does get lazy with its upgrades... Also, if you haven't had a GA yet, you'll be allowed to build your UU until you do, so that might be the case as well.

This happened to me before with the Americans. I have only seen it happen during civil disorder. I have never seen it happen during Anarchy. I wonder if nuke plants are vulnerable during a modern-age revolution. Interesting theory.

As a side note : you can have multiple nuclear meltdown in a city if you don't fix the disorder thing.
You would think that the nuclear reactor would be destroyed the first time ^^

Originally posted by Missing Persons
This happened to me before with the Americans. I have only seen it happen during civil disorder. I have never seen it happen during Anarchy. I wonder if nuke plants are vulnerable during a modern-age revolution. Interesting theory.

What, when you renamed your city 'Three Mile Island' :lol:

That's great!! You don't think the programmers coded that in do you? That if there were a city called Chernobyl and it had a nuclear plant that the odds that it would melt down would increase? :hmm:

Probably not, eriador. He/she probably built a nuclear plant in Chernobyl, dropped down the lux rate, (and therefore caused civil disorder), which dramatically increases the risk of a meltdown.

I wonder if this is a kind of easter egg........ I remember one game where floods would destroy buildings in towns (like Civ2), but if you named a place Atlantis it would be turned into water.........

don't remember the game name though :(

I alway get Hoover, so I never bother to build any power plant. Except in that one game where I tried just for the hell of it to build one in a big city to see the difference in production, if any.

5 turns after completion, I had a meltdown. Suffice it to say it was the first and last time I ever built this crap :)

Now that's what I call a coincedence! :lol:

How many population points did you lose when the meltdown occured?

Hmmm... I honestly can't remember. It was a city with pop over 20, tho, that I remember.

Funny thing is, everyone was praising the nuclear power plants here on the board, so I decided to upgrade in 1 city just for the kick of it.

Seeing as it is a very rare occurence (meltdown) I was really unlucky on that one. Actually it made me laugh as I was playing with an industrious civ (can't remember which one) and I sent something like 50 workers to clean the mess up and since it was late in the game (well after industrialisation) , it took no more than 5 turns to clean every tile up.

To be honest, I don't think at the time I noticed I lost pop points, as I was amazed at the mess it made in the city radius, that and the fact that it blew up in my face so soon after completion of the plant and the fact it was the 1st time ever I built one :)

And look at the mimi-map! The city is more or less in the right place on the map, a couple of squares off at the most.
That powerplant was a disaster waiting to happen...

Top Bottom