Building graphics: Monastery

Drift

It's a boy!
A monastery city improvement. Model was Kloster Irsee, a former Benedictine monastery, in Germany. Current buildings were built in the beginning of the 18th century.

I’m thinking of using it as a unique building for fundamentalistic goverments in the personal mod I’m putting together. Couple of happy faces and +25% production improvement in the current plans.

I'm by no means a graphical talent, so don't expect Ukas-class. It's the first improvement I've made and thank god I had a world’s easiest picture to copypaste from (can be found as monastery.gif with Google picture search.)

EDIT 2.4.03: Changed the download to a version 1.1. Reason: ugly build icons with pink lining in the old one.

Attachments

• monastery11.zip
    21.2 KB · Views: 650
Let's see if I can upload a preview...

edit: had to update the whole thing, there was a one place where there was patch of lighted wall in the midst of shadow. Sorry for the two guys who had downloaded already. :(

Attachments

• monastery_preview.jpg
    monastery_preview.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 1,298
Wow, that a great job. I may use this for a Monte cassino (in italy)building in my 20th century mod, or a stalagluft building (in germany). If I use it as a culture specif build ing I could do a colour replace to make the walls and roofs a differnt colour.

I'm not sure what a monestary would do in a wwii scenario. I can think of loads of ideas, but none of them seem very like a very conventional use. Churches and monastaries were used occasionaly as prisons in germany (reduce coruption), granaries in post revolution russia (food store), treasure houses of the rich clergy in catholic countries (extra cash, perhaps wall street style). All this on top of its usual happyness value.

In the middle ages, monastaries were some of the only places you would find books in europe (and more importantly, people who could read them). They should give a big tech boost in that time, perhaps if, as you say they are the special building for roman-catholic-fundamentalist governments (which would be very corrupt, most of the taxes going on gold and jewels for the churches), they could be centres of coruption reduction and science generation.

In Civ2 at least you could give certain improvements to key cities for example monastery for Monte Cassino and make the monastery improvement available with false tech you gave values nil nil, so it can't be invented in the game thus making it impossible to build. If it's possible in Civ3 this could be just the way to do it for WWII scenario.

Just letting those interested know that I fixed some graphical errors and replaced the download with a new version. Recommended downloading if you are actually planning to use this one or are not planning to modify it yourself.

Top Bottom