New Unit: Ancient Merchant Ship, OR, an Invasion Barge

Kryten

Smeee heeeeed

As you can see, this is just a Civ3 Galley with the oars removed, but could be used as a :-
Phoenician Trading Ship….
Roman Merchant Ship….
Or even a Dark Age or Norman Transport Ship….

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads4/Merchant_Ship.zip

In fact, boats of this type called Luggers were still in use in the early 20th century, hauling coal and other bulk freight up and down the coasts of Europe.

Suggested Stats
---------------
Attack zero, defence 1, move 2, costs 20, requires no resources, -1 hit point, carries 4 units, sinks in Sea or Ocean....
....and for those of you with PTW, I strongly urge you to make this and all other Ancient ships ‘wheeled’, then make oceans ‘impassable to wheeled’ in order to stop world colonization in the Ancient Times.

Please note that although this unit shoots arrows to the side, it does NOT require the ‘Rotate Before Attack’ unit ability, as I have made the rotation as part of the normal animation.
(The reason for this is explained in the following post.... ;) )

….of course, should you wish to use this unit as a :-
Napoleonic or Victorian Invasion Barge….
American Civil War Riverboat…..
Baltic or Black Sea Gunboat….
….then the arrows would be inappropriate.

So I have made an alternative set of attack & death flcs that shoots a volley of muskets or a single cannon forwards….

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads4/Invasion_Barge_conversion.zip

Just copy these two flcs and the sound wave into the Merchant Ship folder to replace the Ancient ones.
(Again, the ‘Rotate Before Attack’ unit ability is not required, as it now shoots forwards)

Last of all, you COULD….if you really, really wanted to….even have the Merchant Ship change it’s animation through the ages, so that it shoots arrows to the side in the Ancient period, but fires muskets/cannon forwards in the other periods….the same way that Settlers & Workers change their appearance in different eras.
A tutorial of how to do this can be found HERE

:)

Yes, I wanted this ship so badly. Even though its ancient, it still looks better as a medieval galley than the civ3 version. Thank you very much:)

Yes please! :goodjob:

I'm thinking of doing several different types of Galley....nothing much, just the normal Civ3 Galley but with different sails....much like I did with the Hoplites (change a shield, and you have a new unit....change a sail, and you have a new Galley).
This would allow more 'flavour units' for the diffrent civs in the Ancient period.

Do you think there is a demand for more Galley variations?
("You already know the answer to that question Kryten!" :lol: )

Bleedin 'ell....that was quick! :eek:

It looks lovely. :D

Attachments

• marchentlarge.gif
    marchentlarge.gif
    5.2 KB · Views: 3,043
Nice unit Kryten! :goodjob: Just wondering, if this was to be used as a trade ship then how would one use it in-game? :confused:

Originally posted by xghost
Nice unit Kryten! :goodjob: Just wondering, if this was to be used as a trade ship then how would one use it in-game? :confused:
You could use it as a transport with no attack, or just use it as a reguler ship.

This is very nice.

It could also be used as a middle ages era galley graphic. Been thinking of implimenting the era change like the workers use for other units.

Hey Yoda Power, you truly are the Greatest of theJedi! I was just thinking though, wouldn't it be possible to use the Great Leader's 'Finish Production' ability on this? You know, to simulate the trade between two cities. After all, trade has finished many a projects.

Originally posted by xghost
Hey Yoda Power, you truly are the Greatest of theJedi! I was just thinking though, wouldn't it be possible to use the Great Leader's 'Finish Production' ability on this? You know, to simulate the trade between two cities. After all, trade has finished many a projects.
Yes you could do that also, but remember to make it have a high cost.

Very nice!
This would be a good ship avaiable from the start. Or maybe with Pottery? After all, you want to carry water and olives in urns. :) Or maybe even as a Viking ship, though it really should have checkered sails for that.

Thank you.

Originally posted by mrtn
Or maybe even as a Viking ship, though it really should have checkered sails for that.

Why on earth would Viking raiders have bright chequered sails?
"Hello everybody, we are the Vikings, and we are at the far edge of the horizon, 7 kilometres away. We will be raiding your villages and settlements in about 4 or 5 hours time....assuming that the wind & tide is with with us....so go get ready, you have lots of time."
I think that reality was a lot more different. ;)

Originally posted by Kryten

Why on earth would Viking raiders have bright chequered sails?
"Hello everybody, we are the Vikings, and we are at the far edge of the horizon, 7 kilometres away. We will be raiding your villages and settlements in about 4 or 5 hours time....assuming that the wind & tide is with with us....so go get ready, you have lots of time."
I think that reality was a lot more different. ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Kryten's sense of humour never ceased to amaze me. ;) Great unit by the way. :goodjob:

Hey kryten, did you see "the vikings" on telly today (chanel 4), its a 1958 classic with kirk douglas looking younger than his soon does now. :)

They didn't have chequered or even stripped sails though the rest of the film was very implausable especialy the seige scene at the end.

Kryten, you're even funnier than your TV counterpart, man! :lol:

Top Bottom