Idea for a Post WW2 Scenario

Harry Tuttle

Scenario League Member
Ok, I know everyone is sick of WW2 scenarios aka: "Invade France, beat Russia, invade England, you're done". Instead of the usual storyline, how about we do something different. Here goes...

September 1941 (pre-Pearl Harbor, pre-Invasion of Sicily, right smack in the middle of Barbarosa) - Hitler has an aneurism at one of his mass rallies and and dies soon after. The Third Reich is left without a leader and a general fear grips the German public. The power gap left prods Himmler, Goebbels, Rommel, and Goering to sieze power. Seeing that ultimately none could rule alone, the four create a Tetrarchy, with Rommel (being the charismatic general) as the pseudo leader. Rommel, with his new found ability to actually influence the entire war, instead of just a theater, starts to rearrange the war effort in a way that no politico/occultist leader could. Rommel pushes into the Soviet Union until the end of October, where he orders an immediate "scorched earth" withdrawal.

Late October 1941 - The tetrarchy re-evaluates the war. Himmler and Goebbels both want to continue the final push into Russia, but at the advice of Rommel and Goering they back down. "The German citizens need to be shown that they have capable leadership. Goering and I will lead the war effort. You provide the foundation and the troops." says Rommel. Himmler and Goebbels, being political animals at best and left without Sugar Daddy Adolf, agree and start to reinforce the German public through increased propaganda and an SS led campaign in the Fatherland. Rommel, fearing the events that could happen if the United States enters the war, decides to cut off the alliance with Imperial Japan, seeing the eventual confrontation between the two powers. He initiates an innovative plan to accelerate German war technology, a plan that does not include the bombing of the civilian targets in Britain. Also, Rommel, seeing the danger of a British held North Africa, increases the supply of troops and weapons to Libya. The rules of war are about to be changed, again.

December 7 1941 - Imperial Japan attacks Pearl Harbor. Roosevelt says his famous speech in front of the U.S. Congress and asks for their support in declaring war. Left out of his speech is the sentence: "Today Nazi Germany declared war on the United States." Congress grants Roosevelt's request and a short, but brutal war is waged in the Pacific. The European theatre takes second seat to the "Pacific War" and Germany is saved (at least for the next few years) the fury of the United States war machine.

Winter 1941 - Stalin, sensing weakness and a chance to turn the war around, sends whatever he can against the reinforced Germans in the Winter of 1941. Holding off the Soviets with minimal reinforcements and superior logistics during the winter and most of the Spring, Rommel then unleashes his refreshed Wermacht, SS battalions, and Luftwaffe in the Summer of 1942.

Late May through June 1942 - The refreshed and reinforced German army takes Leningrad, Moscow, and Stalingrad in a massive push eastward. Stalin is crushed and forced to retreat beyond the Urals. At this point Rommel sees the push into Soviet Asia as futile and tries to negotiate an end to the war with Stalin. Stalin, being the pride filled man he is, refuses. Rommel, seeing the need to consolidate Europe before the United States is goaded into a war with Germany, authorizes the most daring operation of the war so far: "Operation Gemini" - the aim: capture Stalin and make him sign a humiliating peace accord. Led by the infamous Otto Skorzeny the unit paradropped into Kazan, fought off 2 NKVD platoons, and captured Stalin alive. Saved at the last minute by a surprise raid by an SS Panzer division, Skorzeny, with Stalin in tow, returns to German occupied territory. Stalin, under intense SS torture, signs the peace accord. Three months later Himmler, the propaganda genius he is, convinces the Tetrarchy to return Stalin to Soviet Russia, where, hating the man and fearing his return to power, he is immediately executed by the Soviet officers in power. In the years proceeding, a man named Nikita Kruschev siezes power and intiates a rearming of Soviet Russia.

June 1942 to October 1942 - With the East stabilized and a humiliating peace accord signed, Rommel's Germany turns its eyes on North Africa. With increased reinforcements Germany has pushed Montgomery back to Arabia. Egypt is now under German control. Great Britain, without the full support of the United States, is crumbling. Rommel orders a cesation of sustained military activities in North Africa and consolidates French Algeria and Morrocco so as to provide a shield from invasion.

October 1942 - The tetrarchy now sees an invasion of Great Britain as being to costly. Germany has its breathing room and all the resources it needs for the near future. Rommel offers a ceasefire to Churchill, which is signed only after pressure from the English Parliament. For all intensive purposes, the war in Europe is over. The tetrarchy focuses its efforts on repairing war torn Europe, but it does not, in any way, keep its eyes off of creating a world where Germany is supreme...

November 1942 to June 1944 - The United States, with its complete industrial capacity devoted to defeating Imperial Japan, wages war in the Pacific. One by one Japanese strongholds fall to the Americans. In late June two nuclear bombs are dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, ending the war in the preceeding weeks. The United States is victorious and Japan falls under U.S. administrative rule. The U.S. then provides aid to Nationalistic China, helping them to defeat outlying Comunist forces. It seems that Communism is now confined to Soviet Asia...

September 1944 - The United Nations is established with headquarters in New York. Among the numerous entrants, the United States, Great Britain, Nationalistic China, Soviet Rissia, and Nazi Germany join. Almost immediately a decisive rift is established among the nations of the world. Those that support the United States begin to form a loose alliance called the Allied Powers to counter the already formed Axis Powers.

September 1944 to January 1947 - Communication continues to deteriorate between the Allies and the Axis. The United States sets up military bases in Great Britain as a counter to German supremacy on the mainland. Nazi Germany continues to consolidate the land gained in the European War. German war technology continues to advance, surpassing that of the allies. Germany though, has yet to uncover the secret of the nuclear bomb.

Crimson Valentine - February 14th 1947 - Rommell, under pressure by the rest of the tetrarchy, demonstrates German war readiness by launching the first long range V-3 missile over Great Britain. The allied powers see this as a definitive act leading to war and immediately start deploying troops into Arabia and Great Britain. Kruschev, now leader of Soviet Russia, mobilizes the Soviet Army, and moves multiple units to the Russian/German border. The United States deploys its carrier groups off of Great Britain in an effort to avert war.

To Date - The Allied Powers have the Nuclear Bomb, but can only deliver it by conventional means. The Axis Powers have advanced technology for both the Luftwaffe and Wermacht. Allied intelligence confirms that the Axis powers have built a substantial navy, including carrier fleets. Also, intelligence suspects that the Axis powers have developed aircraft capable of hitting targets in the U.S.

Ok, what will happen? Does anyone think that this will make a good scenario? It's sort of like a Cold War flashpoint scenario, but with the Nazis involved. Remember, the scenario entails all Nazi technological breakthroughs as were dreamed about before the war ended. Anyone, Anyone?????

If you have ever played the scenario "SubWar" you know about the different uses that the author, Bernd Brosing, has for events. I found that scenario to be one of the most enjoyable I have ever played on Civ 2, mainly for its creative use of events to create missions for the player. So, I thought, why not do something like that for this new WW2 scenario.

Think of this: It's the start of the conflict in 1947. The United States does have the A-bomb, but not the capacity to produce it or deploy it that effectively. The Germans, needing to knock out the nuclear arsenal of the United States before the U.S. drops a bomb on a German city, decide to take on a series of missions to first knock out the U.S. nuclear arsenal and then secure a nuclear bomb for themselves. Remember Otto Skorzeny? In real history this commando and his team managed to capture Mousilini with none other than gliders as their only means of transportation. I'm sure Otto is up to the task of securing the Fatherland.

So here are some ideas for the German missions:

-An attack on Oak Ridge, Tennessee to destroy the Uranium processing plant. (not unlike the story in "1945" by Newt Gingrich and William Forstchen).

-A mission in Central Africa to capture an Allied Uranium mine.

-Fighting off a commando raid on your rocket facilities by British forces.

-Deploying a German nuclear weapon on a major U.S. city to end the war. (whether it be by missile sub or air).

A seperate events file could be used to create an Allied side to the story...

Anyways, those are just some ideas. Perhaps when the mission is triggered there could even be a wave file that pops on, not unlike a briefing by a superior officer.

Very good stuff. How it can be worked into the bounds of a scenario would be an interesting endeavour.

Well I did mean to make this a fictional scenario. :) But yeah, maybe I could scale back North Africa or something. The problem is that I want to make it more than just a regional scenario. The map I'm working on right now includes a significant portion of the northern hemisphere, plus Africa to the Congo, North-South America, and a large part of India.

If anyone wants to help out or just make suggestions please do. I do however want to make this more than a European war so that some of the already described missions will be possible.

Also, as for the technological success of the Germans, they will still be introducing a lot of their jet powered aircraft, plus many of the new tanks seen at the end of the real WW2. There will still be ME-109s and the familiar Junkers, but they will be in the process of being fazed out. America and Britain will of course have the B-29 and the Meteor in production. The Russians will be relying on the planes introduced in the real 1942 and beyond.

So really, this will be a balanced scenario. Remember, the United States just has the Atlantic to worry about now...

It sounds like a good idea to me. A couple of questions though.

-will the "final solution" still happen in this alternate reality. Being as Rommel was a soldier and a warrior but I don't believe he was ever a card carrying Nazi, I don't think he would divert the resources to carry this to fruition. Also I maybe ahead of history here to, I cannot recall when the meeting took place that finalized the plan.

-Have you ever read "The man in the High Castle" by Phillip K. Dick? I think you could get a lot of good ideas from there, and it is a great read. You could probably fiinish it in a matter of days.

- Do you really think the war in the Pacific would last that long? At the time we were only using about 15% of our production capacity to fight the Japs. The other 85% went to fight the war in Europe. With out Germany to fight, our entire arsenal could have been directed towards MacArthur's island hopping campaign.

-finally, what type of graphics do you prefer. If you like the Iso-metric style I will be more than happy to help, if you think my work will fit in with yours.

now get to work:mad:

edit: I missed that Hitler died in sept' 1941

Jimmy,

Good Question. I'm glad you asked that. As far as I can tell the "Final Solution" was first coined and finalized in July of 1941. Here's a snipit of what I've found: Goering (7/31/41) authorizes Heydrich to find a "Final Solution to the Jewish Question." The wholesale killing of the Jewish people didn't start till early 1942, I think. And PLEASE, if I'm messing this up, someone please tell me.

As for the Final Solution in this scenario: Hell no, there will be no final solution. I'm a good catholic boy going to a Franciscan university and quite frankly the Holocaust makes me sick. So no, there will be no final solution.

As for the war in the Pacific. I can lenghten the time where Germany and the U.S. are at a peaceful detante, but I want to allow enough time for the development of the Luftwaffe and the Wermacht. Remember, the U.S. helped to shore up Nationalistic China, which could in effect add some more time to the U.S.'s drive in the Pacific.

Also, no I have not read "The Man in the High Castle". Rest assured I will check that out. I love a good read.

As for graphics, I would prefer for the scenario to have units that are in essence 3-D, meaning that they face bottom right, or bottom left. I'm not trying to be a snob, but rather I want to give the scenario a unique feel to it. Quite frankly, if you take the time to create a unit that is top-notch, I will most likely include it! :) I love effort. Give me all you got!

An addition to the plot line:

Late September 1941 - Unknown to the other three, Rommel has carried out a clandestine replacement plan where Rommel's own, loyal crack troops now act as security for himself and all upper level administrators. Rommel may be only a soldier, but he's no fool when it comes to power plays.

A Moonless night in Berlin: September 27th 1941 - Rommel calls the tetrarchy together for an impromptu evening meeting in the heart of Berlin. One by one Goering, Himmler, and Goebbels make there way into a non-descript administrative building, the secret meeting place of the quartet. The room is dark, except for a few table lamps and a dying fire in the far end of the room. As the three enter Rommel rises from his seat at the far end of the table, closest to the fire and greets the three with a nominal "Hello, Gentlemen."

As the group takes up seats around the meeting table Rommel lights up a cigarette. The glow from his lighter casts a fiery glow over the four assembled.

"I have called this meeting together for one reason. It has come to my attention that a secret program is in the works for the 'Jewish Problem'. A program that was initiated under the Fuehrer's direction".

Goering, Himmler, and Goebbels share glances with eachother. Goering is the first to speak.

"Yes, this program was started at the direction of the Fuerher. It is designed to rid us of the Jewish filth polluting the Fatherland." Goebbels chimes in. "It is the culmination of the Nazi rise to power. The very reasoning behind the Fuehrer's great plan!" Himmler adds: "A whole division of the SS has been devoted to this cause..."

Himmler lets his sentence trail off as he sees that Rommel has risen to his feet and has turned toward the fire. Rommel's face is placid as he lets out a puff of smoke. His eyes, however, are as brilliant as the embers in the dying fire. "Gentlemen, I have come to a decision. As defacto leader of this group, and as leader of the German people, I have decided to make some changes to the Fuehrer's plan..." Rommel pauses to let this revelation sink into the three. "The Final Solution will not be allowed to come to fruition. I cannot condone the killing of so many innocents."

A pause. "Does anyone disagree?"

The click from the cocking of a Mauser is the only answer to Rommel's question.

Goebbels rises from his seat with a gun in hand. Goering and Himmler rise with him. Goering replies: "Heir Rommel, we cannot allow that to happen. As a member of this tetrarchy I place you under arrest for treason against Germany."

Rommel, still turned toward the fire, replies. "I thought you'd say that." The only door to the meeting room bursts open and ten armed guards enter the room, covering the dissenting three with their guns. Rommel continues. "Gentlemen, I will give you a choice. Follow my lead and you will be saved from whatever harm I wish to bring upon you, your families, and your friends."

He suddenly turns toward the three. "Or, shoot me now, destroy the Fatherland, and destroy yourselves. What is your choice!"

Goering, Himmler, and Goebbels all taken aback by the audacity of Rommel are dumbfounded.

Rommel, addressing the guards in a very unnervingly calm manner: "Guards, fire upon my signal."

Again, silence from the three.

Goering crumbles first. "Wait! God, please wait. Don't do this Erwin! We are all friends here! We all want Germany to prosper! We want to win the war! Why are you doing this!?!"

Rommel, now smiling like a fox replies. "The Jews, albeit our scapegoat, are not terrible people. They can be made to love the Germany we have created. They are more useful to us alive than dead."

The three, sensing a very organized "coup" in action begin to control their fear.

Himmler, capitulating to Rommel's demands: "Erwin, you may be right. I agree with your plan. You have the support of the SS."

Rommel: "Goebbels, what about you?"

Goebbels, very quietly, places his gun on the table. "Rommel, you have proved to be more than just a soldier. You are a political animal like me. I give you my support. What is it you desire."

Rommel: "Me? I desire a unified, victorious Germany, will you help me?"

Goebbels: "Yes, Erwin, we have always supported you. I think that we can make a change of plans..."

Rommel: "Excellent. Gentlemen, I hope that there is no more ill will between us. I need the full productive capacity of Germany behind the war effort. And when I mean full capacity, I mean EVERYONE."

The three nod in unison. Himler replies: "Yes, Heir Rommel lead us."

Rommel: "Vunderbund. Alright gentlemen, you are free to go as you please." The three make to leave, but Rommel has one last thing to say: "Just remember," the three turn, "I am the leader now. If you try to cross me, I will know. My supporters are everywhere, and they all carry guns. The SS, will no longer be my bodyguard. Rather, I will gather my protectors from the people."

The three nod in seeming regret. Rommel continues: "I am Germany now. You are the extensions of myself. Do not fail me."

The three, with fear of the power they have helped create, retreat. Rommel, in the fashion of his many military campaigns, has won the day...

Thank you! Curt, I'll let you know, I'm currently working on the map right now. :D :D

Hmmmmm, ok, decent question. As for the scenario itself, any German allies will be under German control, seeing as the scenario would become to complicated for it to be otherwise.

As for the plot line, let's say that Mussolini remained friendly to Rommel, seeing as he needed Germany's support to continue Italian colonial expansion. The relationship between the two is not close, but friendly none the less. Like a Chirac-Bush friendliness. Har Har...

I like it! :goodjob:

Although I must confess to an antipathy to Rommel... I think he's overrated. He was a master of armoured warfare - bold, innovative, intelligent etc. But he was no great politician or strategist. He was not an armoured warfare ace as Manstein or Guderian, and he was no great strategist as Manstein or Rundstedt. He was lucky in Africa - although most credit for his victories goes to himself, Allied incompetence, conservatism, and lack of imagination was much to blame too.
Whereas Manstein came up with the Sickelstroke, the Backhand Blow, and developed many or most of the basic concepts of armoured warfare, Rommel was a Lt. General in charge of varying army corps.
As the matter of fact Rommel and a number of other officers of the Wehrmacht declared that Manstein should lead a coup, and that they would support this initiative. They would support Mainstein's leadership. The fact that Manstein was too weak politically to do this does change it though.
So, to sum it up - I am skeptic that Rommel would take an initiative - even with fellow conspirators - without a major loss of confidence in Manstein's strength. I think you should incorporate something to take this relationship between these two officers into consideration.

Wow, you're a better historian than I am Insurgent, really. I think I can work that into the plot line.

The reason why I chose Rommel and not someone who could have been a real "true to form" leader, pure and simple, is because of name recognition. I do agree that Rommel was not the kind of general that the hype makes him out be (or for that matter a political genius), but when making a fictional scenario such as this the truth needs to be stretched a bit (or a lot, in this case).

On that note, does anyone have any thoughts on throwing in a few superweapons or what-ifs into the scenario? I'm very flexible and I really do value input.

Ok, early mockup of the map I'm looking to use. Give me your thoughts. *The map is much wider than the gif that it is extracted from.

Attachments

• tierra5.gif
    tierra5.gif
    6.4 KB · Views: 651
Please, tell me it´s a gigamap!!

Thanks. That map looks great. And I liked your futuristic Luftwaffe units, keep that unit style - it's a good mix of the two predominant styles. :goodjob:

Well, first of all, I think you should allow the Germans to construct super-heavy tanks (Pz VII Löwe, Pz VIII Maus), and for the Wunderwaffen, the Germans were working on ICBMs - they had them planned and they had detailed sketches and worked out a system. Furthermore, the Germans had large stocks of chemical weapons.
I think you ought to seek some cooperation with Curt on this, as he is working on "Soviet Steel" which is also an alternate history post-WW2 scenario, in which he has made some very pretty artwork for German advanced aircraft.

Top Bottom