Screenshot of the Day #129: American Worker

Its not a worker its a setler. You can get these foregin setlers if you build them in a city where there are none of your own civilizations citizens.

The answer is clear! Your production of shovels is falling. You need to cut back on guns and concentrate on farm implements!:lol:

Wow... poor worker... Now he has to dig those mines and irrigation channels with his bare hands!!! :lol:

LOL, pretty good screenie.
Originally posted by Yoda Power
Its not a worker its a setler. You can get these foregin setlers if you build them in a city where there are none of your own civilizations citizens.
Hmm, interesting. I wouldn't have thought that foreign settlers would go under the "captured" list (much less captured worker list), since they aren't really captured. So do foreign settlers and workers made in your own cities not cost any maintainence, and (the workers) only work with 1/2 the normal productivity?

in my last game i reduced a few captured cities by building settlers and yes they definitely appeared on the captured unit rosta. presumably this would indeed mean that you pay no maintenance on them.:cool:
I seem to remember that at one point if you destroyed a captured city by building a settler and abandoning it, the settler appeared as a 'barbarian', but a patch seems to have stopped this.

I just had a look at the save again and I found my friend waiting for a boat. I didn't know free foreign settlers would be visible in this window. It is kind of strange to put a foreign settler in the captured workers window since it's not captured and it's not a worker. The settler is displayed blue in the window but in the screenshot below it has a Mongol yellow colour.

Originally posted by WillJ
So do foreign settlers and workers made in your own cities not cost any maintainence, and (the workers) only work with 1/2 the normal productivity?
thats correct:)

Phi! He deserved that. He didn't watch out for his shovel and now we aren't going to buy him the new one.

I thought that when you captured an enemy settler it turned into two (slave) workers

@Inter32: It does. The "captured" settler is simply a settler built in a city where the population is foreign. Since the citizens in the city were foreign, the unit created with them (worker or settler) will be foreign as well. In fact, I think only 1 of the 2 citizens need to be foreign for a settler to be considered a no-upkeep foreign unit, but I may be misremembering.

@pdescobar: thanx for the explantion :goodjob:

It could have been manipulated in other ways too. In the Civ3Edit you can choose what the settler unit becomes if captured. The default is "worker" but it could have been changed to "settler".

Cool screenie.

I'd like an option to kill settlers and workers just for fun - you could set the option in the preferences box and if it's on the military advisor would pop up and ask you "Sire, shall we enslave these vermin or put them to the sword?" Sometimes you just have too many foreign workers running around - their laziness annoys me, and its not always a good idea to have them join cities, as they're likely to commit acts of state treason (culture flipping, riots).

You can also simply disband them, which produces some bonus shields, although for some reason their mothercountry is not too happy with such actions.
Then again, you can't have "too many" of something that 's free imho. Stack-move two of them and they work just as quick as one of your own.
Question: do slaves from an industrious civ retain their industriousness? I can't remember, but I think I would if I had noticed it.

Originally posted by ivory
Question: do slaves from an industrious civ retain their industriousness? I can't remember, but I think I would if I had noticed it.

No, industriousness applies to the currently owning civ, not the original civ. So, if you are industrious, all slaves (regardless of country of origin) work at the same rate and that rate is twice as fast as the rate of all slaves (again regardless of country of origin) of a non-industrious nation.

Hmm, I have an idea, though it's kind of evil. Have three ways to get rid of foreign settlers/workers. First, you can simply kill them, as I suggested above. No rep hit for this, as you're already at war and civilian casualties are "collateral damage". Second, you enslave them as normal - the mother civ likes you less for this (unless you give them back), and starts to seriously hate you if you disband them. Finally, if you are in one of the more evil governments (communism, fascism) AND you have a labor camp or concentration camp in a city (forgot who made this but I know it exists here somewhere), you can move all foreign workers to that city, disband them, and get the full shield cost back from them - this would cause all other civs to like you a lot less, and the mother civ to hate you forever.

Add them to growing cities, that's what I like to do.

Top Bottom