The Nuclear Milenium: India vs Pakistan

Gen. Maximus

Warlord
Dear Civers,
The scenario is finally ready after one month of effort, 2 weeks on map/bix file creation and 2 weeks on playtesting/sav file creation. This scenario let you pit two nuclear armed arch rivals in South Asia. India and Pakistan relation has been bloody since days of independence 50 years back due to Kashmir teritory dispute. This scenario set in 2005, designed to play from Pakistan side is to exert dominance over juggernaut India and the surrounding region.

Scenario description:

"It is the year 2005. Fundamendalist radicals from Pakistan detonated stolen nuclear arsenal from Pakistan's military at the historical India city of Agra resulting in an all out war. Pro-western Arab states under pressure by America who is eager to stamp out proliferation of nuclear arms in Islamic countries send a coalition force to 'secure' Pakistan's nuclear arms, i.e. war. Play as president General Pervez Musharraf of Pakistan whose job now is to prevail against India and Western-Arabic coalition's incoming onslaught. More countries may join in the war against you if you decide to use more of your nuclear arms. Control the South Asia continent to ensure security and dominance of Pakistan. Victory when Domination or Conquest is acheived within 4 years (208 week-turn)."

Further background info and setting in readme.txt. DO read this file! Sav files require v1.14 or higher to play. Bix file created from Civ3XEdit v2.56.

Features:
- Detail map, realistic terrain and tile improvements per atlas reference. So don't expect railroad or irrigation everywhere.
- Easy download! Less than 500kb! Only animation file for Bunker unit require download, other graphics use existing units from PTW and WWII extras that came with it.
- Play new/modified units such from T55, T72, T90 Chinese/Russian type, M1s, Jihadis, Anti-tankers, Commando, Mujahedin, Bunker, Rocket Launcher, B2s, F117As, etc.
- There are 9 civilisations - Pakistan, India, China, Afghanistan, Iran, Arabic States (Qatar, UAE, Oman), Nepal, Bangladesh and former Soviet States (Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan). Political situation described in readme.txt.
- All 25 old/new wonders assimilated into the scenario. Expect things like Three Gorges Dam (Hoover Dam) of China, US Naval Command (Magellan) in Qatar or Nizamiah Observatory (Copernicus) of India, etc. Full description in readme.txt.
- Require 'survival skill' with a zeal of a true General.:D Expect to fight at multiple fronts, have strategic planning, resource security and maximisation of manufacturing capabilities. But since all these might be an overkill to some people, three versions of sav files created: Deity, Monarch and Regent. Regent has further AI ability reduced to aid human player. All of these has the same 1st turn opening sequence played out to ensure similarity. Original Deity bix file downloadable for your convenience (need 1 minute to load up on my P4 2.4Ghz).

Terrain map:

Political map:

Deity scenario save file:
The original sav file! For the REAL generals!

Monarch scenario save file:
For the general wanna-bes!

Regent scenario save file with up to 5% to 60% reduction in AI starting offensive/defensive units:
For the rookies dreaming of following a general's path...

The bix file for those we wish to further customise to your own liking. Note that diplomacy is not set, map will be dark, etc. However the readme.txt has description of the 1st turn opening sequence.
Download original Deity bix file here!

Enjoy the game and feedback.

Regards,
General Maximus
The "Near-death" scenario creator :)
GOTM Global ranking #7 (May 2003)

Map centred on your Pakistan. Your job first is to defend it and then EXPAND it!

I realised that too and got it corrected pretty much immediately. Happen coz I use space in my link destination.
I'd just realise that I would not able to track # of downloads for the 4 files I posted :( since I use the server upload link instead of attachment which will show as it will be interesting to know which file people would rather play. Anybody know a way to find out? Coz I doubt that scenarios will be added to http://www.civfanatics.net/files/civ3/pafiledb.php where the download counts are registered. Don't see any listed!

Copy the above unit folder to your x:\Civilization III\Art\units folder including downloaded Bunker unit file folder from the zip file.

Are you shure this is the right directory!?
It doesn't seem to worrk.

it wrights that it doesnt find t34 dor and stuff during the download of the saved game

wrong alarm!!!!x:\Civilization III\PTW\Art\units

I just made a mistake.

Now I'm gona play in deity and tell you what i think -so far it looks good!

Wow!
It is really hard!
I thout of myself as a good player but the Indians just lunched some 4 nuckes and detroyed 4 undefended sityes while destroing another poorly defended.
Everyone exept the arabs declared war on them but still it looks way to hard and I don't now whether I'lbe able to survive.

By the way it took more then half hour my turn and when the computer...

The most intresting bug in the whole time i'm playing Civ accured, tghhow i belive it will always happen in your scenario.

My tank retreated into an enemy bunker and all it contains become my!!!!( several tunks and cannons!!!!

Originally posted by timberwoolf
Wow!
It is really hard!
I thout of myself as a good player but the Indians just lunched some 4 nuckes and detroyed 4 undefended sityes while destroing another poorly defended.
Everyone exept the arabs declared war on them but still it looks way to hard and I don't now whether I'lbe able to survive.

By the way it took more then half hour my turn and when the computer...

The most intresting bug in the whole time i'm playing Civ accured, tghhow i belive it will always happen in your scenario.

My tank retreated into an enemy bunker and all it contains become my!!!!( several tunks and cannons!!!!

Four nukes??? There is only three and it's location is stated in the readme, your spy will also tell you there is 3 only(F3 key). I got only 2 cities nuked as I took an Indian city with a nuke warhead. Anyway, it is good that you got all other civs declaring war on India! I got only two civs declaring war on India!

Are you saying your computer turn is 1/2 hour long, or is it your own? If it is the AI, it should be far shorter in later turns or if you disable battle/move animations.

Feel like going to be overrun? Put more thought into your moves. Your 1st few turn should take an hour or so! With GA, cities can produced nuke in a very short time 3-6 turns.

I'm re-editin this msg as I forgot to address the bug you claimed. None of my tanks got the opportunity to retreat into an enemy bunker in my playtesting. The bunker has a defensive value, so by right it will not be 'captured'. I played this on 1.14, what version you play on? Did any msg pop up saying you captured units when that occured? Can you confirm that the bunker was enemy's in the first place. One abnormality during scenario creation was the culture borders in the bix slightly differ from the in-game when started. Because of this I has to reposition a number of border tile bunkers. Did you see any bunker on the wrong side of the border in the game if you're using 1.21? I was thinking that you could have mistaken the bunker as enemy's if the border was somehow drawn differently (no insult intended to your claim whatsoever). :)

Originally posted by Sarevok
Sounds interesting, I dont think many people see this crisis for what it is. Its nice to see a scenaerio on it finally, (although personnaly Id rather play as India).

You can still play as India if you use the bix file but India will be SO POWERFUL! It will just overrun the whole region! Pakistan is far more vulnerable with 5 neighbours. Wouldn't this be far more interesting? My style of scenario creation has not differ from the 1st I ever create back in Civ2, I'll put the human civ right in the centre, totally surrounded by mostly hostile AI!
But I understand there will be some people in the world that would not play if have to choose Pakistan, especially if the person is an Indian! By releasing all 4 file version, I hope I had catered the majority of the needs. Enjoy!

Originally posted by timberwoolf
Please increase the bombard rate to all weapons!

the standard artys are already deadly, I could wipe up entire hordes of India's T72 by blasting em till they are redline where my commados and tanks just pick up the pieces!
Bombard rate is 2 for all ground based units, cruise missile are rated 3. I rather not change all these to stick as close to the original as possible.
Note that rocket launcher and bunkers have higher bombard str and bombers have lethal sea bombard.
Hope you're still .... surviving. Else it is time to downgrade difficulty level :p

Gen. Maximus- about the bunker a was mistaken, the Indians destyoes a few sityes and the border was moved so my bunker was in Indian territory.
You are right indded about the 3 and not 4 Nuckes.

My turn was very long, while the computer was really fast( exept killing me for some 10 minutes!!!!!!!!

I think the bombard rate is'nt high enough, a bomb and bomb...hardly injurs some units.
I do'nt see a way to stop the Indians after 3 turns( The arab landed everywhere, I get some help From Iran and Afchganistan but it's not big enough...

The Indians just nuke everyone( not me at the last time).I nuked them twice!

Were you able to bit them back!?
In how mach turns?!

Thanks for your clarification of no bug.
It is normal for the arty not to be that effective except in great numbers. It is standard tactic in Deity/Emperor where you build up to 50-100 arty and pound 'em away at heavily fortified AI cities. About 1/3 of the artilery will make damage.
I did not give India opportunity to further nuke me after the 1st turn. Since China was on my side, I believe India took a # of ICBM beating.
How to take care of Arabs-Western allies? Nuke em when they land. At one time they landed a bunch of M1s on the southern shore, one nuke to redline them, another nuke on the same spot to 100% 'vaporise' them. But Iran declared war on me for using nuke on Arabs hence losing my oil supply:( Remember your bombers can sink ships. Play defensively, take shelter in your harbors.
I had mention in the readme that I played so far to turn#10, where India's attack has been blunted, Kashmir region is in my hands as well as Ahmadabad oil region. I was without oil for 3 turns at one time!! I had also expanded east closer to their capital to buffer my core cities from direct attack. Their India's capital area are a region of nuclear wasteland. You got your GA yet? if not you should activate war mobilization. You need to churn out tanks every 2-3 turns in your main cities, and 3 turn nukes in Karachi.
You got to be bold enuff to nuke your own teritory, say you got a few dozen AI units adjacent to your bunker, I will move my moveble units away from the bunker, nuke that enemy with my bunker taking collateral damage. Good luck!

Hmm... this looks pretty interesting. I may have to look at it.

Has been a week since I posted this scenario. From the # of views, estimated about 50 people downloaded the scenario and play. So any comments on the map and gameplay setup so far from those who had played? I am also wondering which difficulty level is more popular as well. FOr those who has tried, pls post your comments. Thanks.
I would like to thank Maciek and Impreza from the creators of The World 2003 Scenario for their generous offer of help. Appreciated your elaborate messages. I would be updating the bix file with the leaderheads provided by Maciek in the upcoming days when I can find the time. Too consumed with work!

I LOVE THIS SCEN!!!!!! But there's just a tiny bit of a problem: On the first turn I got China against India (in your readme it said something about mutual protection pacts not available, but they were!), I piled up tanks and took out a bunker and an Indian city (I abandoned it after I took it, heh heh heh). India nuked me, and the rest of the world declared war on India. I stopped the Indian counterattack with Bunker bombard (Lethal Land Bombard, those things are way too powerful!!) and nuked India. But I was playing on regent, and I might upgrade to monarch or maybe even deity. Now, for the problems:
-Bunkers almost useless. I bypassed them (thanks to USA's ''shock and awe" Iraq strategy) and captured the cities instead, and left them to rot.
-T-90s and other high-grade tanks got killed by Anti-Tank Infantry on plains and grasslands. Its name notwithstanding, I thought they only had 10 defense!
-Afghanistan has paratroopers and cavalry. Kinda crazy :)
-NO IRON. How did Pakistan get its railroads in the first place, w/o iron?
-China and the other neutral countries are too weak. I easily swayed them over to my side. (My military outnumbered theirs)
-Kinda funny, seeing the German cross marked on Southeast Asian tanks (no offense intended, though)
-UU are too weak. I'm not complaining, though. Through luck I managed to kill a Guerilla with a Jihadi and trigger my Golden Age in the first turn.
Other than that, this scenario is pretty good :)

Thanks Sickler for your comments. The reason you can MPP and you you finding AI being 'weak' is simply you're playing Regent! As mention in the readme and above thread, for Regent level AI units have been reduced considerably by 5 to 60% especially on AI offensive units. On higher levels, no MPP available at start at India is 2x stronger as what it should be. You will ger hordes of infantry and tank rush crashing into your borders on 1st turn alone. India tank unit placement are done such that you will continue to get tank attacks in waves after waves so you will continue to see unabated attack in the first few rounds.

To comment on the problems now:
- Bunkers are defensive, so not expect it to aid you offensively. Note that bypassed bunkers can take potshots are your units as well as bombarding your units. You will want more of them in higher difficulty levels! Btw, the bunkers DO NOT have lethal land bombard. Only bombers have lethal sea bombard. I doubled checked, this is correct.
- Antitanks have attack factor of only 6 only, there is no way it can engage your T-90s with defense of 15. But if you mean that your T-90 with attack factor of 22 was killed by antitank unit with def of 10, you're just plainly unlucky as the odds are more than 2:1 of winning. This odds are fair following the Civ3 norms. If you note that in the original Civ3 the odds are more like 3:2 for attacker vs defender. (see tank vs infantry at 16:10 and modern armor vs mech inf 24:18)
- Afghan has one one paratrooper (USA). THey have an M1/Bradley and some Marines too, all from the US security force. (See readme on Afghan background). Afghan has no rubber, they cannot build modern infantry or paras. Their main units are guerillas and calvary. Hey, calvary was used in the last Afghan war. If you follow closely with the news of Taliban fall in Afghan, the Northern Alliance forces charged the Taliban held city of Mazar-e-Sharif on horses from the hills leading to the fall of the crucial northern city. Have you watched Rambo 3, the Afghans militia are all on horseback engaging Russian armor and gunship!
- No iron? You're suppose to import it or secure one, there are no iron mined in Pakistan anyway. India and China has both Coal and Iron resource per real world facts. The reason I make it difficult is to prevent over-railroading. The railroads on the map is drawn based on Atlas accuracy, no extra RR given.
- "China and the other neutral countries are too weak?" Play Monarch/Deity to see the difference! Remember no MPP! Your entire borders are fragile...
- "German cross marked on Southeast Asian tanks". Unit graphics from WWII, cannot help it :( There are T55, T72 units flcs downloadable out there but find the in game WWII very nice and has quality detail.
- "UU weak?". That's the challenge! Acts of jihadis are of course exploited by the media to boost moral and productivity of the local populace!
Do try at higher levels are tell me how you find the scenario again. All the best!

Top Bottom