Tech Editing and Positioning Tool

esc27

Chieftain
Download civ3TechEdit

Description:
This tool loads the tech tree from a BIC file and allows you to move the techs by dragging and dropping them over that eras background (or a custom one) to aid in positioning of the tech boxes. It also allows for adding techs and includes the same editing options for the technologies as the civ3editor.

Installation:
This program requires the VB 5 runtime files (MSVBVM50.dll) and the windows Common Dialog controls (comdlg32.ocx) to run. The files were not included to reduce size, but are readily available online.

Supported Civ3 versions:
I have only tested this with 1.29f of Civ3. I cannot guarantee it will work with other versions or any current or future expansion packs.

Instructions:
This program requires a pre-existing and uncompressed BIC file to edit. Further instructions are available under help within the program.

Notes:
This program does not currently support Era None techs.

The techboxes in this program do not currently have the same width border as the ones in Civ3. IT is important to leave a little extra space between techs.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have bug tested it to the best of my ability, but no guarantee is made that it is free of bugs. Use at your own risk and always back up the BIC file.

Please let me know of any problems or concerns.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

esc27
esc27a@hotmail.com

Think you could post links to where one could possibly download these runtime and dialog controls?

But anyway, it's a good idea for a utility - placement of new techs on the screen is the hardest part of adding new ones. Heh I remember back in the day I had to spend a bunch of time with trial-and-error, and figuring the grid coordinates by hand. :nuke:

You need to open the BIC in the Civ3Editor. Under the view menu choose options, uncheck "Compress BIC files" and save the BIC. Then try to open the BIC you just saved.

Donwloaded the OCX file, but still... *sigh*

Attachments

• error.jpg
    error.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 5,357
This tool is amazing! It's a lifesaver for me!
Also, if you're going to make a new version, wait until Conquest comes out (It's like five days away). IMHO that would be a better way to spend time beefing this up.
Also, it would be nice in a possible new version to add ERA-NONE techs, but whatever, this is an amazing thing! You're a lifesaver, it's amazing.

mmh.
When I try to open a BIC file, I've got a error message.

"Run-time error '6': Overflow"

..and the program shut down.

Any clues on what's going on ?

I've got Civ3 1.29f.

Originally posted by Supa
mmh.

I've got Civ3 1.29f.

Now I've got the same problem, can someone help me out?
Thanks.

Actually, the program works well with others bic files..
It shuts down only with my mod.

Maybe something is too big..
I've already noticed a little problem with some resources as Iron or Horse. Resources that are used by 15+ units and the listing is too large for the game. It's not a problem as the game doesn't crash, but perhaps the Tech Editor is more sensitive.

Originally posted by Supa
mmh.

I've got Civ3 1.29f.

I got mine to work, all I had to do was check "custom rules" in the scenerio, something I hadn't done. Did you do this? If you haven't this might be your problem.

A C3C version or this is SO needed...

Top Bottom