Screenshot of the Day #134: Weird River

Thunderfall

Administrator
Administrator
I was playing a random map with the Americans and I thought I got a great start with numerous rivers nearby, but as I progressed in the game I noticed something weird: one of my workers was able to cross a road over the river with 1/3th of a movement before the development of engeneering. Closer investigation of Washington revealed that parts of the nearby river on the right wasn't giving extra commerce to nearby tiles, and both rivers (even the one one the left) could be crossed over roads at 1/3th movement point.

Guess that river dried up, or maybe my map generator should visit the newbie thread in the civ3 forum regarding the functions of rivers in civ3. :)

http://www.civfanatics.com/sotd/sotd134.jpg

Note: This screenshot was submitted in September 2002. Thanks to Kemal for the screenshot.

Yeah, AFAIK this is a problem with custom-made maps. I don't think it can happen with randomly generated maps, but the text seems to imply this is the case. :confused:

On some custom made maps, it's not just the missing river crossing movement penalty and "reduced" commerce on river tiles, but there's sometimes also desert :( instead of flood plains.

The earlier mapeditor (before 1.29f, I think...) had the bug that if you added, deleted, and added rivers to same squares (which is very common when you are trying to get a river "just right") sometimes a square wasn't flagged as "river" even though the graphics were there so you ended up with rivers that looked right but that contained "holes" as far as the game was concerned.

The big problem with this early map editor was that even if you were playing with the later version of Civ you got the same behavior if you used maps that were made with the earlier editor (apparently the saved map then contained the buggy river data).

However, the screenshot indicated that it was a random map. With random maps this ought not to occur... Tundra has a commerce output of 0. Road adds +1 and it appears to be adjacent to the river which is another +1. Ought to be 2 commerce... Weird.

Err but he said "I was playing a random map" and "maybe my map generator should" -- this implies it wasn't a custom map at all.

Hehe, a screenshot from the times where I still built my cities trying to grab as much land as possible, needing hospitals to use all available lands. :crazyeye:
Times really have changed since that screenshot was taken, thanks for putting this one up as a SOTD, TF! (you could have checked for spelling though... ;))

I can confirm once again that indeed this was a randomly generated map on civ31.29f, and I have encountered this "problem" once in another game, also randomly generated, but it appears that since PTW, the rivers work as they should even when they're placed next to other rivers, as I haven't encountered the problem ever since (and I do take special notice each time I see such river-networks, I don't feel like having to built an aquaduct when I founded a city next to a river). :)

I still have a savegame from that game :eek:, so if anyone wants to take a look for himself:

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads4/bug.sav

These rivers wasn't real. They were only paintings on the sand. :)

Originally posted by Judge_Deadd
These rivers wasn't real. They were only paintings on the sand. :)

I like his answer.

Maybe a local barbarian tribe wanted to sabotage the placement of settlements and decided to paint the ground to look like a river. But in reality, they're over a few hills and waiting to strike down on you!!!

psst... there's a barbarian on your shoulder

Originally posted by DivineImpact

I like his answer.

Maybe a local barbarian tribe wanted to sabotage the placement of settlements and decided to paint the ground to look like a river. But in reality, they're over a few hills and waiting to strike down on you!!!

psst... there's a barbarian on your shoulder

:rotfl:

*Paalikles fetches his flyswatter and starts chasing the barbarian around*

Top Bottom