Screenshot of the Day #136: Persian Hordes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderfall

Administrator
Administrator
Whatcha gonna do when they come for you?

This is my first Deity-level game. On my last turn, I captured a Persian city that covers a strategic chokepoint, with the intention of bottling the Persians up on their peninsula. This will shorten my defensive lines and shield my allies (the Zulu and the Germans) from the wrath of Xerxes...that is, assuming I can survive the onslaught of the Persian hordes that have just arrived on my doorstep. :) Apparently, Xerxes wants that city back in the worst way.

http://www.civfanatics.com/sotd/sotd136.jpg

Thanks to Brooke Wheeler for the screenshot.

good luck on that...but I don't think you'll survive

Well, you bottled them up! Unfortunately, it was a bottle of carbonation, and you sealed it, shook it up, and then opened it!

Okay, so maybe it was a stupid comparison. Put simply...

RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!!!

You can't see it in that screenshot, but there were 44 infantry in that stack, and he had two other smaller stacks with 10 or so each in the area as well. I had over 30 infantry of my own fortified in the city and on several of the surrounding hills and mountains, backed up by artillery, not to mention the five ironclads that arrived later. If Xerxes had hurled his troops directly against my defenses, he probably would have had a measure of success, as my largest stack contained only about 10 infantry and 4 artillery.
What he did instead was try to bypass my defenders, and this gave me time to use my artillery to hammer his army. He kept sending reinforcements, and I kept pounding on them and forceing them to retreat (as well as killing a few when I could do so without getting my defenders "out of position"). Even with his poor tactics, he managed to destroy several groups of my infantry and capture a number of my artillery pieces. It was a hard fought battle, but the Germans eventually rode to my rescue with their panzers and Xerxes sued for peace soon after.

Too bad you didn't have a Nuke;)

When I replayed (finished rather), a GOTM from over a year ago (GOTM9 I think), there were a bit more than that number of Persian forces - well over 50. They were no more in one turn. Of course, that was the game where I didn't know what I was doing, and the other month, I spent 15 turns correcting my mistakes. :D

I had a game where I invaded the Chinese, who where stuck on an arctic island with nothing to do but to build crossbowmen (Chu Ko Nu, my chinese UU). Check this screenshot.
I submitted it as a SOTD a long time ago, but don't think it got posted.

Oddly enough I saw a stack of doom from Persia also. Maybe he knows how to fight better than other civs. Anyway I just uses my stack of doom and fight his. Luckely I never go into war unless I can fight it.

In another thread, ages ago, on Xerxes's predeliction for huge stacks he was nicknamed 'Stackman' ...

But I've seen might SoDs from various civs. Persia's high profile in the regard is, I tend to believe, merely due to that the AI tends to do well with Persia, and therefore can assemble large armies more often as it.

Over-production.

In my first CivIII game (emperor level, huge map), I saw a large stack of German units approach my border. Germany was not a neighbouring country of mine and they couldn't be going to someone else, because they appeared on my only border. There were 60 units. I was amazed by that number, because in CivI and CivII, I didn't see anything near that number arrive on my border in 1 turn. Next turn the 60 unit stack passed my border and another stack of 60 units and one of 30 units arrived on my border. Nuts, I thought.
It took me 20 turns of unit building, drafting and bombardment to kill those stacks (Germany was the strongest country in the game). What a war that was and a great introduction to CivIII :goodjob:

One thing you might try is bombard all the railroads adjacent to this superstack and slow them down a bit. I've had bigger stacks than this wiped out by relentless waves of enemies coming in via railroad.

Originally posted by hbdragon88
That's nothing.

If you want a stack of doom, look at a shot that I encountered:
http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads4/SOTD_9.JPG

Fortunanely they weren't attacking me...

OMG!!!!!
@hbdragon: do you know if he/she survived that attack?

Nce job Lucky Dragon! :goodjob:

EDIT: Post 500! :D

England sent a stack of Cavalry like tha at me once, and declared war on the same turn. 34 of them -- all she had, as it turned out. Unfortunately, for her, she had not counted on rails and artillery. I sent a like number ot arty, wounded them all, and then shipoped tanks in to finish the job.

I had a similar situation where England & France both threw huge stacks of infantry at me. I wound up nuking my own city with 2 ICBMs to cut them down to a size I could deal with. Totally shifted the balance of power in the game. Amazingly my own citizens did not seem to mind that I nuked some of their own, and the other (neutral) civs did not seem to care since I nuked my own real estate. This only worked because I had nukes & they did not, otherwise they would have launched back at me for sure.

well Im glad I dont make moves like that

Originally posted by Inter32

OMG!!!!!
@hbdragon: do you know if he/she survived that attack?

They were attacking the red cities (Babylon). All four red cities you can see in the mini-map were eliminated by the Egyptians. That turn took like five minutes, even holding the shift key.

EDIT: Just the four cities on the outer edge of the continent, if you noticed that there was a fifth city in the interior. I had an ROP with them so they could attack all four. Even with the huge massive assult, they lost a lot in taking the four cities.

They were only cities they took over when they were eliminating the Chinese (you see the main territory in the other continent) so it wasn't a big loss for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom