Gotm20-Spain Results and Congratulations

cracker

Gil Favor's Sidekick
This is another month where we as a community of players accomplished great things that have never been attempted before.

The results process combines the game submissions into a single composite result by using the Jason Scoring system and a set of embedded class identifiers that make it possible for us to uniquely identify the class level and software version of the games from each individual player. The conquest class games were scored using the same Best Date factors and Max Score factors for Jason the Jason score and additional 85% weighting factor to account for the added bonus units and head start factors that were provided in the Conquest class games.

In addition to implementing a three tiered class structure tha provides more players with the opportunity to play in the GOTM games while still preserving the comparative skill factors and the validity of the scoring and results process, we have begun to transition to a process of database automation that puts more information right in the hands of the players so you can get more out of your gaming experiences.

When you view the results for the Gotm20 game, you will also have the option to call up results and scores from all previous GOTM games using the same online database format.

Complete Gotm20-Spain Results

Congratulations again to all players who submitted games for another truly historic GOTM Event.

One issue that we want to focus on here by example is the issue of player responsibility when it comes to making sure that you make the responsible choice of what difficulty class level you choose to play in.

The Conquest Class games are designed to provide added bonuses to players who need additional help or confidence to play at a difficulty level that may be above where they have played in the past.

Each Conquest Class game is carefully reviewed and scored with the intent to make sure that we have the "no ringer rule" firmly in place. It is possible to exclude any individual submitted conquest class game from the final results pool based solely on the interpretation of the administrator and the staff that the game submission really should have been played by a player who should have played in the Open or the Predator Class.

If you have been playing the GOTM of tournament games in the past, you can easily determine if you may be eligible to play in and submit the Conquest class game by looking at your past submitted game results and determining if you ever submitted a game that scores in the top 50% of the submissions. One submission in the upper 50% means that you should not be playing the Conquest class game in any future games even if you personally think the future game may be a bit tougher than you are used to playing.

You basically use up your Conquest Class game eligibility when you demonstrate by your own performance that you no longer need those bonuses to play in the games and do as well if not better than 50% of the other players.

In this month's game, we had several conquest class game submissions by players who clearly met the "no longer eligible criteria.

One of the reasons, for implementing the Conquest, Open and Predator class games when we were at Deity level was to provide the flexibility to decide to allow these games to remain in the results pool without being excluded for not following the rules. Including thes games in the results does not reduce the global ranking points received by any other players and this decision does not mean the upper 50% rule will not be applied to all future games.

Eligibility to play in the Conquest class game is self policing in that a player's own performance determines if the are still eligible. You do not lose your eligibility by merely playing in the Open of Predator Class games. You only lose eligibility for Conquest when your submitted game result scores in the overall upper 50% of the results.

In this month's results the upper 50% performance cutoff is at position number 93 and this means that we have 14 of the 57 conquest Class players who played well enough to indicate that they should no longer be playing at the conquest class level:

denyd
zamint3
Balton
Gingerbread_Man
KELLO

bewareofgnomes
TriviAl
pman67
FrankTheMan
theREALone

Melifluous
Shura
Kiwi
Elandra

Encouragement and congratulations are clearly in order for these 14 players because they clearly outperformed their own expectations of their skill levels and can now look forward to the full challenge of the GOTM games in the Open and Predator Class games. They earned their promotion by rising to the challenges set before them in the context of the GOTM games.

A secondary implication of this automatic eligibility shift an promotion would apply to division eligibility for the Season 5 Medal Play Series of games. None of these 13 players would be elegible to consider themselves as participants in the Conscript or introductory level of the Medal Play Series.

I wanted to take a few minutes here to focus not just on the medal and award winners who deserve or admiration and congratulations but also to focus in a broader sense on the players who have performed well enough to place in the top 40 positions of the last two GOTM games.

The 40 positions represent less that 20% of the submitted games but clearly illustrate some important points about the quality of the community in general and also the emerging skills and performance levels that we see across all skill segements of the player pool.

Some new players to the GOTM games are put off by the fact that they see the names of many top performers at or near the top of the rankings on a month after month basis. A player who plays their first game and comes in at 170th or 214th place might make the wrong interpretation if the look up a fail to recognize that new and emerging players are constantly moving up into the top 40 positiosn by taking advantage of the QSC game discussion and the detailed spoiler and strategy discussions that accompany every game. It is almost impossible for any player not to improve in skill and also to not evolve to where they can get a lot more enjoyment out of the challenges that come from raising their personal game skills to new levels.

I know I speak on behalf of all the GOTM staff members when I say that we want to use the attached table image below as a basis to focus on a number of individual players and acknowledge their personal performance and achievements in Gotm20-Spain as well as in other recent GOTM games:

Qitai - Is performing fantasticly, in only his second GOTM game after several strong seasons as a tournament player. His Silver medal in Gotm19 and Gold Medal in Gotm20 combine with dominating QSC performances to reinforce that excellent players focus on game winning skills from even before they begin each game and that they do well in almost any game situation.

DaveMcW, Alexman, Moonsinger, Bremp, and SirPleb - Are always top skill performers in the games but you see them moving around in scoring positions and trying new things that focus on specific strategy choices that they feel would be fun or appropriate for each game.

Snaga - Is another new and amazing player appearing in only his second GOTM game and is truly demonstrating his command of the domination aspects of the game. He is clearly a long term player, but represents a great example of what we might hope our community can attract in terms of players who have not played in the past but who now may find the extra challenges of the GOTM worthy of their participation.

Mark Cutt - Is another strong emerging player who has only joined us in recent months but who is clearly performing at or near the top of the results in each game.

Zwingli and tao - Represent some of the top players who have only recently joined use from the MAC tournament land where they were seemingly permanently trapped in an outdated version of the software. What is even more amazaing about their performance is recognzing that they have overcome a 9 month experience and knowledge gap to adapt the drastically increased tech costs and trading challenges that they did not have to play against just 3 months ago.

Ronald, Yndy, and ADel - are nother set of players that reliably finsh in the top 30 positions by focusing on strong early game skills as well as chosing a variety of enjoyable ways to win ther different games.

Green Light - Is the top scoring emerging player in this month's Gotm20 game. He only begin playing the games regularly in Gotm18 and when he finished in 46th postion and in Gotm19 he was at 53rd position but this month he surged up to 13th position indicating that he is probably always well within reach of the leaders in any given game.

Mazarin - first joined us in Gotm15-Russia at 146th position but has actively played in the past two games at a much improved level. Will he share with us what he has done to make the great improvement?

Kemal, Karasu, Creepster, Darkness, and Hurricane - are consistent top performers taht always seem to be well within reach of the top three finishing games of any victory condition.

Acivguy - a new and emerging player who so far seems to have taken out a long term lease on 16th position?

Txurce - another refugee from MacCiv-Land but in this case he seems to be gaining positions by leaps and bounds in an oscillating adaptation mode. Position 5s in Gotm17, 15th in Gotm18, 73 in Gotm19 and now up to 19th in Gotm20. An example here that seems to be absorbing all the new features of the game and emerging as a future consistent player.

Black Hawk and Sinner - both of these players first joined us in August 2002 and have since become consistent strong players playing in virtually every game.

Xevious - first joined us for the painful Babylon experience in December where he like almost all other players was disemboweled by Conquest at the hands of Xerxes, Shaka, and Tokugawa but managed to survive in spirit until the new year and is now regularly in the top positions.

Renata - first joined us in Gotm17 when the games became available in PTW and her debut was at 45th position while her sophomore game won her a fastest space ship victory award. Consistently in the top 30 to 40 positions and always in the hunt for an award.

This now moves us into a range with a large number of emerging and improving players that are playing great games and moving into tough contention for recognition for their excellent game play:

Rabies, Drazek, Gozpel, mad-bax, Greebley, and jeffelammar - all turned in ecellent game form Gotm20 to move them up into the emerging contender game categories.

We could continue down the player list ane every individual player represents a fantastic set of play examples of making choices to enjoy their games in new and exciting ways that expand their personal enjoyment as well as the quality of the shared experience.

We as your staff want to just take this opportunity to that every player at every skill level for continuing to play strong games and to make the final results of the GOTM games add up to be such a special experience.

@Cracker: I can't for the live of me remember what those 'shield' represent in Rank column. Could you refresh my memory? :rolleyes:

On topic: it's unbelievable that there are 186 people who submitted a Deity GOTM :goodjob: and then some.

I'm always blown away by the fastest Spaceship victory, which Kemal reached in 1275 :worship:
I can't even do that before 1750 :cry:

I decided this time to go for a different victory. My first 100K Culture victory seems to be an unpopular choice this month. Congrats to the 2 other people (Greebley and ambiorix, a fellow-countryman IIRC) who went for this victory and ofcourse ended up above me!

It was a great game and I would like to congratulate especially the Predator Class players Dave, SirPleb, CamienOctavian X and Nightfa11 as well as the ones that played Predator but did not meet the submission deadline.

Also congratulations for my peers Ronald and Adel and to mudfoot for almost 300 hours of play.

Same for Qitai and Snaga and everybody who played.

Edit: @ mudfoot: That's the commendation for lowest scoring victory of a type (in your case Culture) designed to congratulate you for your ambition of reaching the goal.

Congratulations to the top 5; Qitai, DaveMcW, Snaga, Alexman and Moonsinger.

Much respect again for those who submitted despite a loss.

I am chuffed to be in the top 40, but without a GL appearing right at the end I doubt it would have happened. Still, it's a genuine improvement for me.

Getting into the top of the pack is one thing. Staying there is something else entirely...

Thanks Yndy!

Btw, ofcourse I didn't play 300 hours! :rotfl:
I'm just lazy and I don't believe in shutting down my pc or Civ for that matter once I have a GOTM going. IIRC I even submitted around the 20th :D . The amount of time played should be recorded in a somewhat different way, e.g. only record time if there is mouse or keyboard use. But as it is now, is fine by me! This way I get to freak out a lot of fellow Civ'rs! :devil2:

Congrats Qitai! :worship:
The victory dates were very close, but your base score was 12% higher for the Jason score advantage.

Congrats to alexman for an even closer 4th place finish. I think you deserve an honorary bronze medal for that!

Also, an Ironman award to smackster for the latest victory/loss date. :)

I'm very happy of my 8th position mainly because it was an improvement from the 14th of QSC20. It means that I'm improving also my Middle Age / war skills.
:goodjob:

Thanks. It was a surprise for me. I thought DaveMcW won. Didn't realize I had such a lead on the raw score. DaveMcW really deserve the win more since he is on Predator. And I am not even sure if I can finish a conquest on 650AD. I am particularly awe by his 200++ Cavalries.

Congratulations to all who won. The long list of winners amaze me.

Is there any bonus score for Predator players as for the QSC?

Congratulations to the medal winners , but also congratulations to the amazing amount of people submitting a deity win this gotm, compared to the previous two. And even with a difficulty of deity some new players take up the challenge to play the gotm, and turn in amazing games. :goodjob:

Once again a sign that the overall playing standard of the gotm has dramatically increased over the past 6 months.

Congrats to medal winners as well as all the other players. Particularly those who played predator. I really had a difficult run in the open class. I can't even begin to imagine how you predator players manage! :goodjob:

Also, like CruddyLeper, much respect for those who submitted a loss....

I am obviously proud to win a cow, albeit in 61st place. I presume this is because I was the most sluggish player and finished several hundred years behind the chaps and girls ahead of me. Congratulations to everyone who finished, especially those who finished behind me. I think the weaker players are what make GOTM a great site, and I am very impressed by people who have a dog of game and still submit. Stories of defeat are often great fun to read.

I am as always very impressed my the top scores, but am particularly impressed by those who managed to play quickly as well. Presumably not wasting time playing after 1200ad or so helps.

I am clearly going badly wrong somewhere with my own game. No wonder Mercia never became a world power. I think mainly my mistake is being far too behind on science, and being too tentative at war. I clearly need to learn a lot more from the top players before I can blow another month of sleeptime on GOTM.

@Offa

The cow means that you had the highest base score, which is not a bad result
:goodjob:

One the lowest scoring winners :) (Hey I got me a lowest scoring medal even :lol: ) Still, it's better than I thought I would do.

I've done a little investigation comparing QSC to Full results. The following is a little spreadsheet showing how players changed position between QSC and finishing their game.

A little explanation about the table. It's sorted by final finishing position. The Rank columns are position out of the whole QSC(93)/Full(185), the Filtered Rank columns are position out of those that completed both the QSC and Full game(65). The final columns are the ones I was really interested in, showing how much the player's position changed between QSC/Full. The 5 most improved are in green, the 5 most disunimproved (that's an antonym for improved, just made it up:)) are in a rather nice pink colour.

I was expecting to be the most disunimproved, but Smirk beat me to that rather dubious honour!

Originally posted by Dianthus
I was expecting to be the most disunimproved, but Smirk beat me to that rather dubious honour! [/B]

MuWaHAHA! What do I win?

I didn't have time to finish the game, so I basically forfeited by giving all my cities except my capital away and then got a quick war to lose my capital. I will bow out of the disimproved competion since I was exploiting playing badly. ;)

At any rate, where are all the user choice awards for this month?

Woo-hoo! I finished 2nd fastest out of everybody who Won! (Behind several players tied at 0:00) :D

Maybe my name will show up on the rankings now (can't find 'em, and I know I submitted for a previous GOTM, I just can't remember which :blush: )

EDIT: Ah, I think I lost that one, and it appears that only people who've won at least 1 are on the ranking...

BTW, Congrats to all the other players...that was a toughie! :thumbsup:

Top Bottom