regarding discoveries

CrazyScientist

Those crazy scientists...
What exactly is the formula that related you Civ's science output to the number of turns per discovery? I've noticed that at certain points in the game my discovery rate drops even if I am producing more science beakers as a whole than I was previously. This happens especially when I have just grabbed a whole bunch of science at once, like when trading with everyone after getting Marco Polo's early. Can somone explain to me what the deal is here?

I think the number of beakers needed for a specific tech is x*num. Num is the number of techs you alrady have minus the ones you started with and x is a value depended on the skill level. It ranges from 6 on chiefton to 14 on diety. For the computer it ranges from 14 on chiefton to 10 on diety.

in a nutshell..it is culminative.Each techs adds more to the next.

very simply(not actuall#s)
1st tech-10 beakers
2nd tech-15 beakers
3rd tech-20 beakers
etc.

There is a big hit on tech #21 iirc.Requirement takes a bigger jump then.

There are some factors that effect the # required.Game level,map size,your tech level in relation 1 "key" civ......

who wants to explain the ket civ thing? ;)

What exactly is the formula that related you Civ's science output to the number of turns per discovery? I've noticed that at certain points in the game my discovery rate drops even if I am producing more science beakers as a whole than I was previously. This happens especially when I have just grabbed a whole bunch of science at once, like when trading with everyone after getting Marco Polo's early. Can somone explain to me what the deal is here?
I will say up front that the exact way Civ II figures the current cost of science is not simple, and I won't explain all the details. But I'll give an overview, and there is a guy at Polyton that discovered the exact details, but I can't remember his name, and the Polyton page loads too slowly for me to browse their site for the link. I'm sure Smash can give it when he notices this thread, though.

The cost of research depends on:

1. # of techs (AFTER the starting techs you got)
2. Difficulty level (Science Increment)
3. Civ II's Science Increment Adjustment (only applies at Deity level)
4. Base Cost of tech
5. Base cost modifier (penalty or bonus)

Note: #5 depends on the current reference civilization, which in turn depends on your "Power" rating (E.g., "Supreme" or "Inadequate", etc.)

Now, if the reference civ (AKA "key civ") changes, your cost of science can jump significantly. It can go up or down. You probably only notice when the cost goes UP, hehe...

Just like the "real world", if everyone has knowledge, science comes faster. If you GIVE all your science to the AI civs, you cost of science will usually decrease, unless you are the ref civ (AKA "key civ"). If you are the ref civ, the cost will not change with gifting, BTW, and so there is no need to gift.

Many people don't like the AI on par, tech wise. If so, don't gift. If you give a civ Tactics, for instance, well... that might have military consequences. But the scientists in your civ will probably love it!!

NOTE... you will only see the science cost adjusted every 3rd advance that you gift, and then only if you gift to the correct civ.

In essense, if all the other civs are in the stone ages, your science will usually be expensive (unless you are the ref/key civ). The big fluctuations occur as your "power" rating changes, when such changes cause a switch to a different ref civ (which is itself at a different science level than the prior ref civ).

The CivFanatics search is not going thru for me, due to BBS overload right now... but you might try that, too.

:)

EDIT1: I see Smash was posting while I was writing the above stuff, LOL.

Whaddaya know, I just posted this link in another thread!

The Cost of Research Explained

An Apolyton thread based on the key civ tech gifting discovery by Samson. Maybe slow to load, but worth reading.

So the jist of what I'm hearing is that the specific formula is incredibly complex, but basically the more techs you have, the slower your research goes... but this effect is less pronounced if all other civs have a similar number of techs....unless your power is supreme, and then it doesn't matter how many techs the other civs have?

Whaddaya know, I just posted this link in another thread! The Cost of Research Explained An Apolyton thread based on the key civ tech gifting discovery by Samson. Maybe slow to load, but worth reading.
That's the guy's name!! Thanks. I'll keep that link, too, to pass out for others.

Does anyone else besides me have trouble getting the Polyton pages to load? I've tried 2 different ISPs from here in Seattle, and it is almost impossible to get pages to load.... once in a great while, though, a page will indeed just load right on up.... Usually, even after 10 minutes... and hour... even 3 hours, the page will still not finish loading. Oh well :confused: :cool:

:)

...the more techs you have, the slower your research goes... but this effect is less pronounced if all other civs have a similar number of techs....unless your power is supreme, and then it doesn't matter how many techs the other civs have?
Close, but No.

1. The further ahead of the "key civ" you are, the more expensive your science cost will be.

2. Determine the "key civ". If you know the key civ, you need only bring the "key civ" on par to cut your own science cost.

3. If you are "supreme", the key civ is Purple.

4. If you are the key civ, gifting has no effect, because science is fixed to yourself.

Top Bottom