Screenshot of the Day #144: Wonderful Overthrow

Thunderfall

Administrator
Administrator
This was the first time I ever saw a city flipping to me which has control over a great wonder. And even an impressive one like the Pyramids. Rome had been in control of London since they crushed the English very early in the game and should have built a lot of culture. Tsingtao, by the way, has no wonder at all.

http://www.civfanatics.com/sotd/sotd144.jpg

WoW!!! :king:

Thanks to Andy Theel for the screenshot.

Amazing! That is certainly a once-in-a-million chance.

-224 gpt? 21900 gold? Care to explain? And computers in 1 turn in 1695 AD, are you playing on diety?

:crazyeye: Almost the same happened with me too a time...
I played on emperror as the egyptians and got the pleasure of taking over the united nations !
The city was founded by the Americans early in the game too...

The number of border troops you have probably helped a lot, especially when you consider the ROmans still have Longbows around...

Dang, that's lucky...

Also, I'll point out that the number of border troops and the culture/wonders of Tsingtao doesn't matter in that culture flip.

Who would not want that city? It has the pyramids and is big. Unless there was some rule that said the keeper will be nice to you forever.

Hi guys,
I sent in this screenshot. It's ancient, probably older than half a year. When I saw it on the site today and read "city flipped over with great wonder" I thought "damn, i had that before but it wasn't on the page".
When I checked that screenie out I was surprised because the map looked "familiar" to say the least ;) Well, then I read the text and noticed it was mine hehe.

As I said this game was played ages ago, PTW wasn't released back then and I don't even know what version it is. And to the other question: No this is no deity game, I have never managed to beat deity yet. I usually play on Monarch level, which I guess this was played on, too, but I simply can't remember.

Were the Pyramids built by the English? Then the culture pints generated by them are not Roman, which wouldn't lower the chance of the flip, and the odds would be much better.

City-Flipping Exposed:

3. Apparently each city has a "memory" and remembers the total amount of culture generated by any civ who has ever occupied it. This is the 3rd most important factor, because if the "attacking" civ has more historical culture in the city than the "defender", the chance of that city flipping to the attacker are doubled. This is one reason that conquered cities often flip back to their previous owners.

I had that happen to me once too ! In an Emperor game as Ottomans, my neighbours the Romans had been at war for thousands of years and thus neglected their culture even more criminally than they otherwise already do. They leaderrushed Sun Tzu in a city, and within three turns, it flipped to me :lol:

I've had it happen as well. Similar situation - city conquered by third party who really was too far away and not well off when I was all around and well-to-do.

It was the Pyramids as well, and I won by cultural 100K. But I kinda think it was with PTW.

Yes, a city with the FP can flip. It happened to me once. I conquered the Aztec capital thinking it would be safe to have my great leader rush the Forbidden Palace when the resistance cooled off. About ten turns later, I was still at war trying to finish them off and ..........it reverted back to them. This game was on Emperor but I forgot which patch.

Originally posted by Civrules
See?

I DOUBT that that will EVER happen in our PTW games. :(

Why? It's happened to me before. Try rushing culture in all your cities early on, and rather than attacking other civs just put cultural pressure on them. Even on Emperor this works, as long as you build enough settlers quickly enough.

Top Bottom