A Civ II MGE "No-CD" patch...

starlifter

Deity
Since Thunderfall has actually posted a NO-CD patch (AKA "crack") in a different thread, and many have asked in this section about running Civ II MGE with no CD, I'll make some comments and include the link of TF's post.

TF's thread is here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=79489&t=4208#post79489

And the NO-CD crack is here: http://www.civfanatics.com/uploads/Civ2_No-CD_patch_crack_(MGE).zip

The No-CD Patch

FWIW, I downloaded and tested it. It works just fine on Civ II MGE 5.4.0f.

This No-CD patch is for a specific machine file (Civ2.exe) and specific version (MGE, 1.3). If you patch your Civ2.exe file with another program (like the Fascist Patch), you may well screw the pooch.

Rule #1: Make backups of everything first, and do patching in a separate directory (See detailed instructions further down).

Rule #2: "Double patches" are generally unsafe. E.g., don't expect to patch with Fascist, then NO-CD (or visa versa). Pick one. Then rename the .EXE file (e.g., Civ2_Fascist.exe, or Civ2_NoCD.exe) and make a shortcut to the new SINGLE patched .EXE.

Note: Double patched .EXEs are possible though unlikely, and you should not try it unless you can read machine language and alter byte codes by hand. But if you can already do that, you probably won't need to be reading what I'm writing here , LOL... :lol:...

Here is the crack's (probably inadequate for most people) readme file instructions:
HOW TO CRACK:
a) DOWNLOAD CIV2 GOLD MULTIPLAYER 1.3EN PATCH
b) UPDATE YOUR CIV2
c)COPY CIV2_13.COM INTO CIV2 DIRECTORY
d) RUN CIV2_13.COM
e) IF YOU WANT DELETE CIV2_13.COM
I've used a very similar patch for 2 years. It is especially great for laptops, or SCSI machines with the CD Drives deactivated :D.

MY RECOMMENDED INSTALL PROCEDURE

The way I like to use NO-CD patches such as this one are to modify the original .EXE file (Civ2.exe), but keep the original .EXE intact. Then I make a new shortcut icon to launch the NO-CD .EXE file. This way, I start either version (the unmodified .EXE, or the patched 'NO-CD' .EXE version).

This is what I personally do:
1. Go to your Civ II directory.
2. Copy the Civ2.exe file to a temporary location, like maybe c:\
3. Extract the Civ2_13.com file to your temporary location (like c:\)
4. Change directories to the tem. location (like c:\)
5. You should now see both the Civ2.exe and the Civ2_13.com files (and maybe other files too, but that's OK)
6. Double click Civ2_13.com (program runs and reports patch was successful)
7. You can delete the Civ2_13.com now
8. Rename the Civ2.exe to Civ2_NO-CD.exe
9. Move the Civ2_NO-CD.exe (or whatever you renamed it to) to your Civ2 directory
10. Make a shortcut icon to your Civ2_NO-CD.exe file
11. Put the new shortcut icon wherever you'd like.
12. You can now choose to start your original Civ2.exe file with the icon you've always used, OR you can start it with No CD required using the new icon!!

:)

COMMENTS

After a little more investigation, I discovered this particular crack is not just similar to the NO-CD Civ II crack I've used for 2 years, but it is in fact the same exact one! The changes to the .EXE are identical.

For those that don't use cracks very often, or that don't know much about the registry and programming... you should be very very careful when using a crack. 99.9+ % do their job honestly, but a small number are actually Trojans ("Trojan Horses").

A Trojan masquerades as one thing, but does another. For example, one particluar Quake III NO-CD crack installs Back Orifice (a nasty "remote control" program) on your system... which allows a hacker to have full access and control of your machine without your knowledge. If you can at least view your registry, you can spot this one easily... it is activated in the Registry Key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Many others Trojans are activated here, too. If you don't have a good registry editing program (like Norton's), you can use the MS Regedit. Go to Start menu --> Run --> and type 'regedit' (don't use quotes). An Explorer-looking program will pop up, and you just navigate according to the above "path".

Memorize (write down) what is in your HKLM\......\run Registry key, and after you install a crack and run the cracked program at least once, go back and take a look at this key for new/suspicious activity. :)

BOTTOM LINE: If you have no clue what I'm talking about, and don't wish to know, then never apply a crack until you *know* for sure it is "good" and "clean". Worst case, all your personal data (including passwords for everything you do) on your machine and entire network can be compromised, and/or hard drive contents trashed. :(

I've made a text file (can read & print with wordpad/notepad) for people to print out as a guide, esp. if you're having difficulty installing. Note: you may need to manually enter a filename and save it, if it downloads as something like "attachment.php"... but no big deal. Or rename the D/L file to something like Civ2NoCD.txt. ;)

Ive dowloaded the classic to Gold Multiplayer Edition patch and I want to play it w/o the CD. Ive installed the patch sucessuful and it seens to be working and then Ive installed the crack but is not working. What can I do?

Originally posted by SilexMT
What if I have MGE but my cd is the original SP version? Do I still need a patch?
Exactly what question are you asking? Does MGE play with a Civ2 Classic CD? If so, you would only need the NoCD crack if you wanted to play without having to have an CD, convient for people that play more than one game and hate to have to change CDs (they do get scratched up). Are you talking about th patch and not the crack? The patch makes many updates which improve the game play, IMHO. Do you need it? Only if the changes are worth it to you, otherwise, no.

I found this patch worked with my original version plain vanilla version of Civ II which was upgraded with the official 2.42 patch then upgraded with the Cedric's Civ2MGE patch then the official patch for that one.

Thanks to Duke of Marlbrough for suggesting that it might even remotely work.

This no CD crack doesn't work for me. I totally uninstalled Civ2 and reinstalled it just to make sure there wasn't other patches involved.
I know I have Civ2 MGE, but I'm not sure how to tell what version it is? 1.3? I looked all over the menus and can't find where it says this.
Any suggestions?
Thanks

Well, I loaded 1.3 Patch and than ran this crack, and now everthing works great.
I used to have a copy of this game eons ago where you didn't need the CD. One day I got a new PC and decided to go legit and buy my own copy (since I liked it so much). Only then, I suddenly had to use the CD. I've been trying to find a working NO-CD patch for years. I had actually tried this one before and it didn't work, not sure why, maybe I didn't have the 1.3 patch that time.
Well thanks a lot for this one! :)

I applied the crack to version 1.3 but the program still says I need the CD.
Windows XP.

Any suggestions?

Originally posted by Dr. Faust
I applied the crack to version 1.3 but the program still says I need the CD.
Windows XP.

Any suggestions?
I also have the same problem. Help please!

Edit 1: Wait, I have 5.4.0f, but I suspect it's a Windows XP thing...

Ok, let's see...

5.4.0f is your Civ2 version? Do you have Civ2 MGE or Ultimate Civ2?

I've put Civ III MPG on my Acer TravelMate C110 tablet PC. Obviously, it's not very convienent to have the external CD drive attached when playing, so I installed the no-CD patch.

I also tried to install the no-limits patch, but they two seem incompatible. Is there a no-CD patch that works for the no-limits patch?

Originally posted by bartdanr
Is there a no-CD patch that works for the no-limits patch?

No, unfortunately not. It's either one or the other or two installs

Hello
I am new here but am in need of some help, I have civ2 mge version 5.2 5f and have folowed your instructions to patch it to run with no cd but it still reports it cannot find the cd, any ideas what I might be doing wrong pleas?
I want to play it at work on a l/top running win ME but with no cd drive.
Many thanks

Top Bottom