New unit: Roman/Hellenistic Siege Quinquereme

aaglo

Furioso!
Here you can find one of the weirdest ships in the ages of antique. A siege ship. Basically it is two quinqueremes attached, and a tower planted on top. Well, picture tells more than thousand words.

This ship will have my new standard for death animation - fading death ;) (or if it doesn't look good in the game, please tell me).

Download!

Preview:

Attachments

• siegedemo.gif
    siegedemo.gif
    87.4 KB · Views: 5,672
first post!

cool ship - always envied AOE games for siege-type ships

oh, and the death flc - the underwater part could do with staying there for a bit b4 vanishing

Then there must be something wrong with your tech tree... ;)

Yep, I know it's a very 'special' unit for special scenarios - not for epic random mods.

And may I remind you, that dark lump making the parabolloidic movement... that is NOT a cow. It's a rather small wooden rabbit. NO, a badger. :)

I think I can fit it into my game as a early war ship wirh bombard. Expencive slow and only available in the early years but it could be worth it to gain controle of the waves.

O and you did an amazing job, thanks! :goodjob:

Edit:
Possibly a very good unit to give to naval civs.

I will give it an increased transport ability too. Excellent. It will fit into my mod perfect with the invasion happy expansionists.

You have improved your skills in making sinking-ship animations, I see :)

It's very good, a very nice idea indeed. Actually, do you take any requests? Such as a Roman siege-tower?

Wow! I've actually JUST realized that small catapult on top! That's so cute! I'm serious, I'd hate to call it "cute", but it's so tiny and all!

Proposed unit stats:

Attack: 1
Defend: 2
Speed: 2

Bombard: 2
Range: 1
Rate: 1
Non-lethal bombardment is yes

Cost is 30 shields
Upgrades to Frigate
No resources required
No transport ability (need galleys for that)

Sinks in sea and ocean tiles same as galley.

Must have Mathematics and Map Making to build

By the way great looking unit!!!

:beer:

Finally it's here after so many months wondering who could handle this task !

This unit is what I had in mind when I requested it, THX ;)

now with all the news ancients ships my GLC mod will be greatly improved thanks to aaglo !

Excellent aaglo. :goodjob:
It looks just perfect (and I love the death flc. :love: )

Originally posted by denyd
No transport ability (need galleys for that)

Just a quick note about these vessels:-
They were NOT made for sea battles, but for assulting coastal and 'one-tile' island cities.
I hope aaglo doesn't mind if I repeat something that I posted while this lovely unit was being created.....

“Siege Galleys first became available in the 4th century BC, when larger warships such as quinqueremes became common. Used to great effect by Alexander the Great at the siege of Tyre in 332 BC, by the Macedonian successor Demetrius Poliorcetes (“besieger of cities”), and by the Romans during the siege of Syracuse in 212 BC, these ships were not intended for sea battles. Indeed, they were utterly unsuitable for such a role, being so slow due to weighing twice that of a normal galley but only having the same number of oarsmen as a single ship, being top heavy and unstable in any sort of sea swell, and lastly the huge tower making them almost unsteerable in any sort of wind….but sea battles was not their function.
Instead, these hastily improvised vessels, consisting of two hulls lashed together with a light wooden tower covered with damp animal hides on top, were quickly adapted in only four or five days usually within sight of their intended target coastal city. When all was ready, and the weather was right, these lumbering giants would be filled with soldiers and propelled against the seawalls of the enemy. Archers, catapults and ballista’s would sweep the walls, drawbridges high in the tower would be lowered onto the battlements, and the soldiers would then storm into the city.
Once Rome had absorbed all the nations around the Mediterranean the need for such devices was unnecessary, and the later Byzantine Dromons and Arab vessels were unsuitable for such a function, so Siege Galleys fell out of use by the 1st century AD.”

May I also offer some suggestions for stats:- :)
Attack zero, defence 1, move of 2, bombard and range the same as a catapult, can carry 4 foot units (they are only on board for a few hours, so being cramped is not a problem), requires no resources, sinks in anything other than coastal waters, costs about 40, and becomes available with say Monarchy, or as denyd suggested, with both Mathamatics & Map Making.

Oh, and the idea of ‘Marines’, who have some sort of special amphibious ability, is really a modern concept.
In ancient times, ALL foot soldiers, be they Phoenician, Greek, Macedonian, Carthaginian or Roman, were expected to fight on both land AND sea (oh, they may have taken their armour off, but you don't need much training to jump into knee deep water and wade ashore ;) ).

aaglo-
when I thought you reached the pinnacle of your ship building career, you proved me wrong. So forevermore, may you be deemed with the Amenhotep7 Sid Meier's Civilization III Shipbuilding award! I'll attach it:

Maybe one day it shall become prestigous...:rotfl:

Attachments

• award.jpg
    award.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 4,111
I must say the whole thing is amazing... And that fading looks great in the preview. Has anyone tested it out in the game to see how the transparencies look?

Thanks all :)

Comments:
- Roman/whatever siege tower has already been requested (see my sig).

- I won't change the death flc's (the way that zulu proposed), sorry. I'm not going to stretch the length of death animation to 30 frames. :) I hope we can live with that.

- Unfortunately I don't care about awards. They don't increase the inspiration - they only make people bold. ;) So, that was a kind but unnecessary gesture, Amenhotep.

- Kryten hit the target here I think, except for the no. of transportable units. I'd say 3 is enough.

Thanks again all for letting me do this ship :)

I know...It was more of a joke than an actual award...Notice the laughing dude... Good job, again. :goodjob:

Top Bottom