New Unit: Meso American Spearman 9/26/03

Kinboat

Conan the Librarian
I had a day off and got on an animating kick so here is the second of my Native American units... A replacement for the spearman for Meso American civs. Call it Eagle Warrior or my favorite 'Choosen of Quetzalcoatl'... If I recall the Feather was the symbol of the Aztec god Quetzalcoatl (plumed serpent), and this guy certainly has enough feathers to qualify.

File 658kb:
http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads5/Meso_Spearman.zip

Preview of attack SE and NE directions:

hi!quite good the new unit.animations very realistic.however,i will be a little inpolite....,but i want to express free my opinion,right?we ve seen MANY hoplites!can u create or complete the machine gunner infantry with tripod which it was the front line infantry almost in every army and used extensivly in every war since 1900?if someone search the downloads he will find at least 15 available hoplites for adding,and they can be used in very special cases.

Originally posted by aracuan
hi!quite good the new unit.animations very realistic.however,i will be a little inpolite....,but i want to express free my opinion,right?we ve seen MANY hoplites!can u create or complete the machine gunner infantry with tripod which it was the front line infantry almost in every army and used extensivly in every war since 1900?if someone search the downloads he will find at least 15 available hoplites for adding,and they can be used in very special cases.

Eer... first this is NOT an hoplite. Second flavor units are needed for ancient - medieval times because the units are so different in look (ie : this Eagle warrior does not look at all like an hoplite (except for the spear and shield)). Third : ask for a unit if you want it made but don't complain for the ones that are delivered. Four not everybody just focuses on modern units. Fifth : there is a machine gunner provided by Firaxis in PTW so it is unlikely someone will do one just for you not to buy PTW. Otherwise, well, welcome to CFC :D

@ Kinboat : great unit as usual. Smooth move as well. Just wish my units were 10% as nice as yours. That would be enough to make my day.
:goodjob:

Kinboat, this unit is S.W.E.E.T. !!!

I knew the story about Quetzalcoatl was more than just a legend!

first of all ok,lets say that its not exactly a hoplite,but a warrior wait eagle head.whats the great difference?they do almost the same job,arent they?and i m not stingy-i already have the PTW and there is NO machine gunner infantry!so make better checks first in PTW and then answer me.and something last,machine gunners infantry dear loulong,where used in vast numbers,eagle warriors-who knew them????!!!do they made thei presence in a lot of world battles?learn history...!

first of all ok,lets say that its not exactly a hoplite,but a warrior wait eagle head.whats the great difference?they do almost the same job,arent they?and i m not stingy-i already have the PTW and there is NO machine gunner infantry!so make better checks first in PTW and then answer me.and something last,machine gunners infantry dear loulong,where used in vast numbers,eagle warriors-who knew them????!!!do they made thei presence in a lot of world battles?learn history...!
aracuan hoplites were from greece only, you should know that since your greek. And PTW does feature a machine gunner, look in the extras folder.

edit-and great unit Kinboat, I hope you´ll release the other soon:goodjob:

(snip) ... eagle warriors-who knew them????!!!do they made thei presence in a lot of world battles?learn history...!

Unfortunately some spanish guys made it certain, that they were not seen much by the europeans.

aracuan, your regard on certain things could need a bit of adjustment :)
Most of us unit creators make these units due to polite requests. Always those choises of units may not suit for everyone's needs, but that doesn't give a person the right to start saying "why on earth did you do this unit, when there are much important ones to deal with?" Importance and priorities are funny things, aren't they.

Please consider, before you start questioning someone's work in this manner, and the air in these forums stay fresh and clean :)

i already have the PTW and there is NO machine gunner infantry!so make better checks first in PTW and then answer me.and something last,machine gunners infantry dear loulong,where used in vast numbers,eagle warriors-who knew them????!!!do they made thei presence in a lot of world battles?learn history...!

You are mistaken with all your points :)
- There are two machine gunners in PTW (american and german). It is quite funny that you're getting mad having them on your hdd :p
- They aren't much needed except for WW2 scenario (it doesn't make sence to put 10 types of infantry with every possible weapon if it all happens in 1 era).
- Meseamerican warriors were much needed and requested by people. Civ3 is a game that replays the world history and units from all ages are needed.

Loulong has 1588 posts. You have 8. So before being aggressive and saying that there is no machine gunner when someone who obviously has been here for far longer than you say the opposite, you'd better double check your information. Or perhaps be a bit more diplomatic like "HEy, you say we have MG with PTW. That's great, but I can't find them, could you direct me to them".
Second, machine gunners have never been the front line infantry in any army. They are support weapons only.
Beside, it's not because your history starts in 1900 and you don't know anything about the rest of the world or other time period that it didn't exist. So I suggest that you apply our last advice "learn history" to yourself. Instead of focusing on your own demand, take the opportunity to increase your knowledge and widen your point of view.

Wao, nice barrage firing defense ! :D

Thanks for the support (on the ideas at least) guys !

Aracuan, don't take it badly please. You were a bit offensive and wrong on one of your first posts but that happened to quite a few people. People are usually very helpful on these boards (provided they know/can) so we would have gladly helped to find out where these machine-gunners were.
BTW one guy started to make one for the early 1900 but the project seems a bit on hold. Maybe you should revive that thread.

Remember : KALOS KAGATHOS

PS. On the (funny) side note : I teach and research history ;)
PS 2 : Steph, be careful when you mention the (relative)importance of the number of posts. Otherwise Yoda will just consider he knows more than the rest of us all. ;)
PS 3 : Kinboat, sorry for the threadjacking :o

Yes aracuan, comments like those wont do you any good. There are many modders and scenario makers here who rejoice when units like this one are released, we who like to give a good historical feel to civilization 3 want to have as many historical accurate units as we can, that means some times adding units to the game that are meant for just one or two civilizations, not caring if those units were seen in the real world for a time period longer than 10 or 1000 years, used in dozens or thousands.
And your reasoning is flawed, you say that we dont need another "hoplite" unit, how many ancient spear units are there in civ3? 3,4? What about modern infantry units? We have the Infantry, the Paratrooper and the Marine, with PTW we get the Guerrila too besides the WW2 era infantry, flame thrower, machine gunner and anti-tank basooka man :) Simple maths, we actually have more modern infantry units than ancient spear infantry units.

Im working on a mod pack that goes from ancient to future times, have almost 300 units and still adding, guess there will only be a final version when Civ4 is released and I uninstall Civ3. Its just awesome playing with an European civ, reaching America in Caravels after you discover Astronomy, unload a few Arquebusiers, Knights or Conquistadors (spanish) and find a bunch of indians armed with spears, axes or clubs :D

Originally posted by LouLong
PS 2 : Steph, be careful when you mention the (relative)importance of the number of posts. Otherwise Yoda will just consider he knows more than the rest of us all. ;)
Someone who is just 16 and use as a pseudo a 900 years old Jedi Master, is already hopeless ;)

Originally posted by Madeira
And your reasoning is flawed, you say that we dont need another "hoplite" unit, how many ancient spear units are there in civ3? 3,4? What about modern infantry units? We have the Infantry, the Paratrooper and the Marine, with PTW we get the Guerrila too besides the WW2 era infantry, flame thrower, machine gunner and anti-tank basooka man :) Simple maths, we actually have more modern infantry units than ancient spear infantry units.
Not entirely true. In my mod I do have to many units for American and Japanese, and even some European. However, I'm lacking units for China, India, and Zululand, as well as middle eastern.
Beside, we really lack industrial / modern flavour units, because as you said, we have more role (infantry, paratrooper, marine), but not enough flavour unit to make these roles vary with civilization.
So I disagree with your math. But it doesn't mean Kinboat's units are not welcomed

Originally posted by Steph

When someone who is just 16 use as a pseudo a 900 years old Jedi Master, I think is already hopeless ;)
Bah! im not 16 untill November:p

Top Bottom