New Air Unit: La7 Soviet Fighter

W.i.n.t.e.r

Frozen!
The La-7:

The Lavochkin series of fighters represents one of the culminations of Soviet resilience against overwhelming odds. As the Nazi war machine drove deep into Rus Ural mountains in one of the most incredible logistic maneuvers in history. After vital military production was resumed, the Lavochkin design bureau was able to build on the previously interrupted development of the promising LaGG 1/3 fighter series. The current LaGG 3 design and its predecessor, the LaGG 1, were both arguably effective fighters, but technology's progress was only weeks behind. The once nimble LaGGs were soon outclassed by the latest marks of Messerschmitt Bf-109s and Focke Wulf 190s. Even the few Italian Macchi 202s on the Russian front outclassed the Lavochkins.

Development began on upgrading the powerplant of the LaGG 3's excellent airframe and a shift from in-line V-12 engines to an M-82 Ash 14 cylinder, twin row radial engine. S.A.Lavochkin managed to modify the LaGG-3 to accept this engine, despite the lack of official support.

The resulting aircraft, the La-5*, was the first in a series of excellent radial engined thoroughbred fighters culminating with the La-7. The disadvantages of the La-5 and La-7 included too simple cockpit equipment (but absolutely sufficient for a daylight prop fighter), a bounce-inducing undercarriage, and in the early stages very poor production quality.

Again, a filler for those still lacking Soviet/Russian air units of the second World War. Until there is a better 3D made one, give my creation a go ;) The La-7 fits sizewise with allmost all of Ripp's and Wyrm's fighter creations! I recommend to use it as replacement of any early standard Russian fighter units and as a counterfit of the German Me-109 (and perhaps you will keep it in your mods as a variant of any 3D version once that one hat should be out...)

with new death animation
unit has civ-colours
by W.i.n.t.e.r 4 TRT
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Known Bugs:
Based on Hexagonal Model

Missing elements:
La-7large.pcx; (pedia icon)
La-7small.pcx; (pedia icon)
La-7_32

The file:
http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads5/La-7_Soviet_Fighter.zip

Cool. Now I have to figure out what to do with it, most likely it'll be a Russian UU replacement for the fighter.

I am personally aiming at "upgrading" my entire fighter pool to units that are about this size. Gone are the days when you could barely see your airforce :)

So this is basically the replacement for early Soviet/Russian fighters. My mod includes several layers of piston engine fighters that update to always slightly better craft. The La-7 is to be the first of the WWII era (my FW-190A is the second level after the Me-109). Also technically the (developing) La-5/La-7 series is comparable to the Messerschidt and earlier FW-190 designs.

Originally posted by Wyrmshadow
You mean one of these things I did for SOE? Sorry but the rest of you will have to wait for SOE, I promised the guys that I wouldn't release any of the stuff I did for them before SOE is out.

Sweet :) a bit large- but generally speaking: Sweet :goodjob:

Just what I've been waiting for! A Soviet WWII fighter! Yeehaa! Feels like Xmas!!! :lol:

Originally posted by Wyrmshadow
You mean one of these things I did for SOE? Sorry but the rest of you will have to wait for SOE, I promised the guys that I wouldn't release any of the stuff I did for them before SOE is out.

Is there a unit preview of SOE somewhere ???

Top Bottom