New Unit: Numenor Ship

aaglo

Furioso!
Hi all!

Here is a ship that was designated to become the Numenor ship for the LOTR-scenarios. Actually, it has no recemblance whatsoever with the numenor ships painted by the-guy-who-paints-well-and-a-lot-of-lotr-stuff. The only similar things are the sail logo and the fact that it actually is a ship.

There are two different attack animations:
- flaming arrow attack, for the LOTR scenario use (there is no gunpowder in the world of LOTR).
- cannon attack, for miscellaneous scenarios. While the ship is not based on any real existing (or historical) ship, but I'll think it'll pass for some flavor ship for the civilizations long gone - who knows what kinds of ships they've made, if they survived ;)

The 'fading death' is included, but it has a small price. In the death flc, there is no shadow for the ship - I don't know how to cast a shadow to a fog in pov-ray :D - but I think that's not such a big problem.

Enough with the blabber, here are the files:

Download!

Animation preview:

Civilopedia picture:

Attachments

• numenorlarge.gif
    numenorlarge.gif
    6.2 KB · Views: 4,153
I think I might actually use this :)

My goodness! All I did was refresh and up pops the Numenor ship! ur gonna have to change your sig, aaglo...again!:rolleyes: Good job!:goodjob:

Great unit. Any suggestions to how to use this unit as a non-LoTR unit?

Awesome!

Originally posted by SpincruS

Wellll...it could be a Mediterranean Galleon

Originally posted by thestonesfan
Wellll...it could be a Mediterranean Galleon
You mean like some sort of Venetian-Genoan galleon? Ottomans had sort of different ships, you know...

Originally posted by Chris85
Looks nice, I might replace the galleon for this unit. :cool:
Agreed. Great unit, aaglo. :goodjob:

Could you make a version without these numenor symbols on the sails? Or using corosses instad? This would be great! And if the sails also could be a little lightbrown or -yellow then it will become one of the best units ever. :)

hey aaglo, I see you to-do list is getting short :p
look at this url:
http://dougram.battletechnology.org/GamesWorkshop/ManOWar/Models.htm

These are box-scans of an old battle game by Games Workshop (warhammer makers). if you look for inspiration ;) these are really weird, esp. the Black Ark or chaos ships. You won't find such fantasy ships anywhere else.

Originally posted by SpincruS

A favorite theme: what if some of those extinct Civs had survived? -- The tiered stern evokes Asia; I see an Age-Of-Sail ship built by a New World Civ influenced by both Europe and Asia.

BTW aaglo, I think it is -- and should be! -- the highest compliment that people are striving to figure out where to fit your work in their mod ... In case you can't tell from the above, I certainly am :goodjob:

Best,

Oz

Looks great.

GIDustin

Love all your ships :)

For the shadow on the fog thing you could render one version on a solid base... Cut out the ship and paste the shadow onto the version with the transparent sinking... Steph's program has an overlay function that might help (although I've never used it) I've thought about ways to do this since I was making a Sea Serpent and wanted to be able to see the under water as well as the above water sections. Actually I can see several problems with this but I'd have to tinker with it to actually see if it would work.

Top Bottom