President's Day sale

Doubtful Teeks

Chieftain
I use Prezday alot, and I was wondering how others do it.
I usually start after 8-10 cities or when my continent is filled.
Then perhaps one later for colonies on islands. I try to go to size 12 with one sale, but sometimes i just have to quit in order to keep infrastrukture acceptable (happiness).

Any views welcome.

About PrezDay: When do you start, at what city size? Do you have aqueduct when you start it? What wonders are a must? Around which advance do you start PrezDay? And any further useful ideas? :) Thanks in advance :tank:

Originally posted by The Republican
I use Prezday alot, and I was wondering how others do it.
I usually start after 8-10 cities or when my continent is filled.
Then perhaps one later for colonies on islands. I try to go to size 12 with one sale, but sometimes i just have to quit in order to keep infrastrukture acceptable (happiness).

Any views welcome.

Originally posted by Bretwalda
About PrezDay: When do you start, at what city size? Do you have aqueduct when you start it? What wonders are a must? Around which advance do you start PrezDay? And any further useful ideas? :) Thanks in advance :tank:

I'm sure opinions will vary on this. But a ConsulDay/PrezDay of course require size 3 cities just to have the demographic growth kick in. Generally, I try to use it whenever it will result in multiple cities growing at once; or else when the growth of my trade city will result in an increase in trade throughout my civilization. Hence, I will always utilize it after building the Hanging Gardens/Mike's Chapel combination for an initial demographic boost; and I usually make sure to rush build an aquaduct in my trade city -- usually the site of the Gardens -- to maximize its effect. After that, I generally use the Day incrementally whenever I have a sufficient number of cities with the aquaduct/marketplace improvements; and the sewer system/bank improvements; and the mass transit improvement. (In the latter case, because I hate cleaning up pollution, I try to hold city size at around 16 for most of my cities until after the development of Mass Production.)

Also, We Love the Consul Day/President's Day is also useful when building Settlers/Engineers; by producing these units such that they are all finished on the same turn, a two-turn WLKD results in a net population loss of zero. For this reason, when I get the Refrigeration Advance and build supermarkets, I usually go through a period of PrezDays while I substantially increase my Corps of Engineers. ... You can never have too many Engineers!

Thank you for the ideas! I guess the first PrezDay is the most important: can you give a hint WHEN do you start it?

Sizes vary, but as Andu says you will need enough size to get trade for happiness (two "units" of luxuries will give one happy citizen). Yes, I usually do have aquaducts before the sale, if not i buy them. The one wonder which is essential is Mich's Chapel, and also the Hanging gardens can be useful to make sure you don't need any luxuries after the sale.
I've never thought about the settler/engineer tweak proposed by Andu. Thanks, man:)

It can often be useful to have Monarchy as an intermediate stage to be able to expand, build roads and deal with enemies when your cities are rather small.

My last sale at King level started at 1200 bc, which is rather normal for me. It depends whether I have to stay in Monarchy longer to repel the first enemy incursions.

omg!!! *slap slap* so that's how it works! *slap slap* Im such an idiot. Your cities grow then the we love the whatever day is on!! doh!!! i always set my luxuries to 0 in my democracy!! no wonder they're so slow. *slap slap*

Top Bottom