*Spoiler4* Gotm24-Korea - End Game Submitted

cracker

Gil Favor's Sidekick
COLOR=darkred]Again take a few seconds to read this introduction carefully to make certain you DO NOT run afoul of the divided spoiler rules.[/COLOR]

This is the Fourth and final spoiler thread to support discussion of the Gotm24-Korea.

The objective of these divided spoiler threads is to provide a little organization to the discussion that will help more people find the topics that they are interested in without having to rummage through the entire game discussion.

The test for access to this spoiler thread is simple:
  • you must have submitted your final save file from playing the game.
You may discuss any information from the game but if you are posting reports of events and/or activities in the Ancient, Medieval, or Industrial portions of the game, those reports should be placed in the correct spoiler for that time segment of the game.

One thing we would like to hear in particular is how any players may have progressed in warfare events that would have occurred after the discovery of Flight in your game.

If you aimed for the Diplomatic victory, please make sure to summarize the key things that you did to help assure yourself of a victorious campaign to become Secretary General of the UN.

This thread is a great opportunity to post an overall summary of how your game progressed. This thread is primarily intended to discuss the capstone modern age events from those games that players did not choose to win in the middle or industrial ages.

We hope that all players have enjoyed this game and that you are looking forward to Gotm25-Mongols and perhaps the Persia Culture game in Game6-2 of the Medal Play Series.

I did enjoy that game a great deal... secured a diplomatic win.

Unfortunately my agressive days were over by the early part of the industrial age. I had a short conflict just before the building of the UN:

I had been gifting techs, luxuries and cash to the other nations from early in the middle ages, to speed up the tech pace and build goodwill with them. Unfortunately the unpronouncable Shia...<mumble>...wze (sic? :)) landed 6 cavalries on my shores. I sandbagged them in with 30+ tanks/mech infantry (free computers), they attacked and it was a very short war :)

That map was great - the combined Japanese nations were powerful and seemed inclined to trade amongst each other. Trading peacefully with them seemed fine, but conquest would not have been at all easy...

previous post

Still racing through the tech tree with no support from the AIs, I reached the modern age in 1290 AD I think, and also got Computers as my free tech. I used scroll-ahead to immediately get the research labs in most cities. With the help of the labs, research time for Fission was reduced from 6 to 4 turns ! The AIs hadn't even gotten Combustion by the time I researched it.

The Tokugawa were easily the most powerful on the other continent, so I figured they'd be the opponents. Gave everyone except the Goguryeo survivors (who had an MPP with Toku) Combustion for a military alliance, gifted around some gold, luxes and resources just to be sure, then triggered the vote in 1310 AD - everyone voted for me but Toku & gouryeo. Firaxis score 5512, Jason score 7700.

I'm glad the Asian pack makes another appearance in GOTM25 - hopefully I'll be able to see some more of the Japanese units in particular. At the pace I was researching, I might have been able to get to Modern Armour before the AIs got Tanks, so a military victory would have been possible too but would have been too much of a foregone conclusion.

What helped me get so far ahead in research was, I think, not getting into many wars (though this led to smaller territory & score), focusing on infra instead, the saved up-money from TGL used for rushing research infra and in particular, the high population I got early on from building the Pyramids.

Great game, and wonderful flavour ! :goodjob:

PREDATOR [civ3mac] 1.29

It happened as predicted in the last post.

Korea entered Modern Times in 1220. Free tech was rocketry. Delay Palace pre-build by stop working high-shield tiles for 4 turns. Research fission at 100%.

In 1240 Chosogabe put a lone cavalry on our coast. We surround it strong troops and donate them rubber. Nothing happens afterwards. In 1250 we grease everybody up to their ears. In 1255, fission is researched, Palace pre-build is switched to UN and completes.

UN vote is between Wang Kon and Toyohisa San.
The bastard votes for himself and Ieyasu San supports him. Everybody else votes for Wang Kon the Magnificent who is elected Sec General with 6:2 votes.
Firaxis score 7260. Jason score 8881.

Analysis: What should I have done to progress faster?
The Great Library resulted in getting used to do no research. Improving infrastructure gave a lot of cash and I did research again only for steam. Thus Middle Ages took a long time.
Till the end the Korean workers were not done improving all tiles worked. I should have built some more.
I researched the optional sanitation wasting 4 turns.
Switching to democracy took 8 turns of anarchy. Staying republic, I might have needed 5 turns to research maybe 2 techs, but still I would have saved 6 turns.

My previous post ended with a (unprovoked) war against the Han and shortly before getting motorized transportation. Date was ending of 14th century, so you already see, that I was much slower than most of you. The war against Han had just lasted long enough, so he accepted my envoy and I made peace with him. He had gained one city. I changed to Democracy, since my people were getting angry at wartime while I destroyed the last two cities of pink on barb island.

Enter the Modern Times. I started to prebuild UN and to focus on pampering the other nations. Han, who had a stack of tanks near my border press-ganged me for Fission and (I don't know how he did this) he built the UN before me.

Now what? I didn't know what to do, since he did not hold elections. I played some more turns, building SETI, Internet, Cure for Cancer and Longevity. Then I decided to ask whether one could turn in a game that was not finished with the required victory condition (which was possible). So I went for space race, since I could not hope to win by military or culture. Finished in 1725. Score: 3694/Jason: 5018

To do's for next diplomatic victory:
- keep more military units
- save a leader to build UN
- have wars finished earlier to change to Democracy earlier
- plan for other victory conditions if UN fails

Originally posted by test_specimen
I changed to Democracy, since my people were getting angry at wartime while I destroyed the last two cities of pink on barb island.
:confused: Changing to democracy increases war weariness compared to republic. Also the Han-war-induced ww stopped the turn after you made peace with them.
Enter the Modern Times. I started to prebuild UN..... Han....... (I don't know how he did this) he built the UN before me.
Pre-building should start much earlier. Try to calculate in how many turns you will finish the required research and start the pre-build accordingly. You can make minor adjustments by micromanaging the tiles worked. Don't forget that the AIs have a production bonus on higher difficulties, e.g. you need 1000 shields, AIs only 800 on emperor, 600 on deity.

Up to MassProd.

I was peaceful most cities on wealth and with an ROP with Togukawa... trading and searching towards UN as fast as possible but ...

1240 AD : Sneak Attack of Tokugawa, grabbing one town the next turn with dyes. With all the MPP around, I should have been more cautious on defense :mad:. My army consists of 5 Cavs & 25 Infantries & 1 Rifleman & 2 Transports & 1 siege cannon & 12 Kensai. I am so dumb :cry: that I forget to upgrade outdated units despite sitting on GP.
I gather every-body against Tokugawa. He is #2 on the list so it is not that bad to have this global war. But I am not ready for it …I am searching Flight due in 3 turns and then I need to search Radio. My cities on wealth go to produce some tanks.

Han Alliance vs Tokugawa for 57 GP & 6 GPT vs Incense
Takeda Alliance vs Tokugawa & Espionage & 107 GP & 110 GPT vs Refining
Shimazu : Alliance vs Tokugawa & 59 GP & 141 GPT vs Refining
Chosogabe : Alliance vs Tokugawa & 57 GP & 12 GPT vs Refining
Oda has MPP so attack will trigger war against most of the other civs (except me !)

I have also marauding Han forces in my territory this does not look good at all. I should have built up some week line of defense in front of forces hoping they will return. I gather my workers to build Fortresses (Ligne Maginot like…) I should have done this much earlier instead of having all cities on wealth and pile of workers fortified while pressing return :(

1250 AD. How predicable :( Han forces sneak attack despite the deal I had with them, at least they will have a bad rep (I was dealing Wines & Ivory with them). Thanks to this two turns of preparation, I have some tanks ready for counter-attack but this is going to be tough. I do not no why I am not forcing other against the Han (too many mistakes in the last stage of the game . I was bored while searching at max)
A city in Japan flips towards Tokugawa, I wonder why. It is not too important as this city does no control any lux but still.

I am also forced to a defensive war because there is a MPP between Tokugawa & Oda and between Han & Shimazu. I have deals with Shimazu & Oda (there are polite towards me so I do not want to trigger the war, losing some rep), so I maintain an open gate in my maginot line in front of Yongbon in order to be able to kill some Han forces as they enter my territory as seen in the picture below

1290 AD: I enter modern ages without Palace pre-built for the UN (another blunder :mad: ) that will delay my win for at least 21 turns. I know I should pause but now it is too late. With Airports rushed on Japan, I can airlift my forces to Japan…
1315 AD : I make peace with Han, MPP are finished, I am going to plunder Togukawa just for the sake of it. He is #3 now. So I will face Takeda for the vote.
1330 AD: First leader is converted to an army and victorious army just after. This will enables me to build some more wonders for the fun of it :D. I did not have the time to return it and UN was being built.
1380 AD: I have the UN built, I give some techs and some GP and I go for the vote. Strange enough, I am to face the Han. Firaxis score 6035

At the beginning of this spoiler I desperately tried to catch up in tech.

I started a prebuild hoping that I would get Fisson as my bonus tech so could beat the Oda to the UN. It was not to be. My bonus tech was Computers instead. Since the Oda were not the #2 civ, I knew there was no way to get a diplo victory. Attacking the Oda (the #3) civ was not an option.

So I went after Miniaturization instead. I used my lamented UN pre-build to build the Internet. As I had not gotten one before that triggered my GA. Too late I passed the Oda to take the tech lead.

Using my GA I cruised to a Space victory in 1720 with a Firaxis score of 4484.

For some reason the Oda, nor anyone else, built any space ship parts.

[ptw] 1.27 Open

As I entered the Modern Age in 1315, I received a great suprise in that when I pressed F6 I had Fission as my free tech! Although, my relative lack of a prebuild hurt me here, and it took me until 1350 to build the UN and call the vote. Once the ballots were counted, I was on the winning side of a 6-4 vote against the Han. That was a bit closer than I prefer, but in the end a win is a win.

On a side note, I got another suprise when I built then UN.

Well....better late than never, I guess :lol:

I ended up with a Diplomatic Victory in 1350 AD.
Firaxis score: 5962
Jason score: 7750

In then end this game was great. Kudos to Cracker and the GOTM staff for going above and beyond the call of duty once again.

Open [ptw] 1.27, Medal 6-1

Link to previous post up to Industrial Age: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?postid=1300591#post1300591

Right after the declaration {of war at the end of the Industrial age}, Han attacked my weakest cities in the inner core, Puhang, Andong and Wonsan, taking them all in this turn and destroying my FP in Wonsan.

Massive infantry draft followed. Democracy hurts. The research for Flight had to be immediatly halted and then I paid alliances with the Baekje (average military, but far better than mine) and 3 powers in Japan, including the Oda. I also tried to pay the Shimazu, but as can be seen in the above picture, they had a MPP with Han and rejected the deal for any price I offered.

2 turns after the beginning of war, still structuring my infantary defence and having 3 cities taken, the Han arrived with these guys (near Cheju):

It was a problem. If they were able to defend the conquered cities with infs, I wouldn't be able to recover then in the short term. I had only infantaries and some guerrilas. So in the same turn I made a huge effort to recover Puhang, Wonsan & Andong and avoid the Han to place infantaries to protect them. The
screenshot above pictures the situation in the end of this turn.

My Baekje allies didn't hold the Han, but were able to give them some extra concern, and then I could notice Han's pace in the invasion was getting weaker and slower. By 1295-1300 they ask for piece (demanding 120g) and I refuse. They had no troops in my territory by then.

But later, in 1325, they bring the toys I was expecting: :tank:

Peace with Han. They pay me 180g.

The workers are near the border because the war was over in the end of the turn. The bastard Hans used their ironclads and battleships in a failed attempt to destroy my production in the shore. I built some artillery during the war, which helped a lot to restrain the ironclads in the region.

I got really worried by signing the peace with Han, since I was breaking the 5-sided alliance I signed with those many civs. But I had no option: Peace or tanks.

After that, Han resumed its war with my former allies the Baekje, taking all their cities and eliminating them from the game in 10t. The fear of the Japanese to the Han was so big that they soon forgot the resentfulness about my alliance violation. Also, I did such a big diplomatic lobby throughout the game that made they forget it soon. Phew.

Following the destruction of Baekje, I flipped 4 conquered cities from the Han. The Baekje and Korea were leading the culture in the world, so we were both unable to flip from each other. But Han was culturally weak (although tech and military powerful), so half of their plunder came to my hands in 2 turns.

Resumed research in Flight, and traded for Motorised Transportation with another Japanese clan than the Oda.

1370 - Modern Era. Free Ecology (bleh :vomit: ), Fission in 15t. Pusan started pre-building its Palace. I didn't want Seoul since I could micro-manage to increase production in Pusan and still pre-build the Palace there, giving superior performance.

1400 - Evil Han started building UN. And Fission still 6t away from me. That scared me. AI in Emperor has faster production. And if Han had the actual Industrious strength of China, it was very risky. If anybody but me gets the UN I'm out of the election, since I'm not the 2nd eligible civ.

1430 - Fission. Swap Pusan to UN, 6t to finish. Would it be enough? Spy Han's performance... 18t to UN... HAHAHA! Cool.[dance]

Then I made a move intending to guarantee the Diplo Victory once and for all. Sold Fission away to everybody in Japan. To 2 clans, gave it for free (they were poor bastards).

But soon after that, I realised that I created a new risk! Some clans were still in war with each other. If somebody gets a leader, they would get the UN immediately and destroy my hard-earned game then.

Fourtunately that didn't happen and in 1460 I got Diplomatic Victory. Results:

Han only got their own vote. Their ROP-rape over me doomed their diplomacy forever.

Firaxis 4032, Jason 6232.
Not a great score, since I didn't occupy much territory.

Some observations:

1. If Han hadn't betrayed me, the victory would have came at least 10-15t before, maybe in the early 1300's. I had to reduce the research to Flight during the short-lived war which seriously threatned my existence.

2. I was blackmailed only once in the whole game. Actually twice, in the turn I built the UN (before election) a gracious Japanese clan demanded me coal, which I gave.

3. It would have been a good deal having early wars for expansion. A second core would have helped, no doubt. My lack of experience in diplomatic victory made me avoid wars that shouldn't be avoided. :D

4. I got surprised with the low base date for Diplo Victory in the Jason Score Calculator. 790ad?? Even in Predator, Diplo before 1000ad would be indeed a great game!

Sorry for the long post, but the game was a very different experience for me (a milking warmonger) and I wanted to share it with the friends from CFC.:thumbsup:

1.27f
Predator

Link to my Ancient Age Post

Link to my Middle Ages Post

Link to my Industrial Age Post

Waiting for the United Nations

I left off the last thread in 1150AD, after getting Mass Production. As I mentioned, I didn’t build any military units after upgrading my infantry, at this point I was just speeding through the tech tree at 1 tech/4 turns. It was close, as Radio kept showing up as a 5 or 6 turn tech when I would go to choose the next tech, so I put it off to last. Meanwhile, I started rushing Commercial Docks in my larger coastal cities, to boost their income. When Radio came around, I was still able to get it at 4 turns, with 100% science. When I finally hit the Modern Age (getting Radio in 1230), I got Rocketry for my free tech (oh, well, Fission would have been nice!), and started on Fission in 6 turns at 100%. I had to pull about half my laborers in Kangyang, where I was prebuilding, as otherwise the Palace would be complete in only 3 turns. I continued renewing trades and ROPs, even if they didn’t have much to give. I also followed (I think it was Qitai’s suggestion) and if they were broke, I would gift them several hundred gold, then sell them the luxuries. Anyway, in 1270 I completed Fission, looked at the Big Picture, switched to the UN, and …

We Have A Winner!

Final Score: 6732, Jason Score: 8532

This was a great game, my first diplomatic win (I usually build the UN just so the AI can’t call a vote). I am more of a builder type, but I have never had to work so hard to keep my reputation clean. Many thanks to Bamspeedy’s article on AI attitudes. It was especially frustrating trying not to autoraze early. If I were to do it over, I probably would have made more of an effort to finish off my neighbors before making contact. I had considered building the Great Lighthouse, but got too wrapped up in trying to capture the Pyramids and let it slip away. I also thought the Han would get it and I could steal it from them. With that, I could have managed contacts and kept the Japanese from meeting my neighbors until, well until there was no one left to meet. Short of that, I should have built some Junks and put some patrols on the edges of the coastal waters, where I would have had a better chance of making first contact. A third mistake was when I finally did go to finish off the Baejke’s last two cities. After taking their capital, I assumed the new capital would not autoraze, but I should have let it grow culture for at least 10 turns I guess. As it was, that was my only autoraze, so it didn’t hurt too bad.

I loved the Korean names/units/etc., and the Japanese islands gave the game a real historical feel. I would have liked to get more involved in the interaction between the various Japanese clans, but I was afraid of making a diplomatic mistake, so I tried to stay out of it. I may play this one again, taking a more “active” role in Japanese politics, and landing on the islands. I never got to see any of their units, except for a couple they were building when I established embassies. In that respect, this game still has quite a bit of replay value. I also think this map was almost designed for a palace jump, and would like to try that if I replay it also, it is just hard for me to part with my original home (Sentimental value!). Thanks again, Cracker and Staff!! :goodjob:

Originally posted by Justus II
... I would have liked to get more involved in the interaction between the various Japanese clans, but I was afraid of making a diplomatic mistake, so I tried to stay out of it. I may play this one again, taking a more “active” role in Japanese politics, and landing on the islands. I never got to see any of their units, except for a couple they were building when I established embassies. In that respect, this game still has quite a bit of replay value. I also think this map was almost designed for a palace jump, and would like to try that if I replay it also...
Hopefully this is not too transparent of a design objective. This game is designed to give you lots of replay options and there are still a number of hidden features that you may not have discovered within the confines of "trying to play nice".

What I had hoped for here was to reveal a surprising and enjoyable game that then would still have enough interesting content that would let you want to replay it two or three times with your friends just to share the experience and pursue some new challenges. Just try to invade Japan without reaching a similar conclusion that Truman and his advisors reached. ;)

We have missed you during your hiatus and it is good to have you return to play an provide your observations and share your game experience.

Many of you know that I often play these games in 10 to 15 different ways before they are released to you. I rarely play fully to a victory, but this is one game that I am still playing in the background for enjopyment even though I am already knee deep in testing Gotm25 and Gotm26.

ptw open

Well, we left of entering the IA in 980 AD still in depotism (stupid mistake) and at war with the Evil Han. I rushed production at the cost of many lives and revolted to Monarchy (6 turns). Lost a lot of former Bajeke cities to the Han before peace was delared and we revolted to Democracy.

1030 AD Democracy is born. Will focus on research and rebuilding an army

1630 we hear Oda completed something called the United Nations - but never hear what it was supposedly constructed for. (Maybe they were using it to inspire their population in their wars with their neighbors to make a "United Nation" on their continent)

1725 Evil Han declare war on us again

1750 Oda dow on Korea

1752 Chosogabe Dow on Korea 2ndary to mmp

1754 Takeda dow on Korea

1758 Our democracy is overthrown ( only have 2 cities left at this time)

1762 The evil Han have wiped Korea from the map (As a side note, Korea got their 2nd great leader from our final stand during this turn and was killed before being able to do anything)

Korea score: 1262

Originally posted by tao
:confused: Changing to democracy increases war weariness compared to republic. Also the Han-war-induced ww stopped the turn after you made peace with them.

True, but I was still in a war. I could either just raise the luxury rate, make some entertainers or endure ww. All three would have crippled some part of my production (luxury rate - lower income, lower research; entertainers - cities starving, lower production). Since I wanted to change to Democracy anyway, this seemed the best time. I knew that I could finish the war before Democracy started, pink had only two cities left. When Democracy started I was already at peace with everyone.

PTW1.27
Spoiler 3

tao,
You seem to have beaten me by one turn. That's OK, I can't blame it on bad luck. But perhaps I should not have stayed in Monarchy right up to the end, even with 100% research.

Recap
I eliminated Baekje, Goguryeo and Mori before they had riflemen. But Oda, Tokugawa, Shimazu and Takeda had them by then and would get Infantry. Kuroda was very weak (I learned later that they had been inches from elimination by Mori in the ancient age).
2-3 Japaneses civs were at war with Han ever since the middle ages, fighting endlessly over the ex-"Barb Island."

Diplomacy
So I decided to combine MPPs with alliances against Han. In the early 1100s I got to work on Han, capturing half the cities. This was enough to get everyone up to gracious. I also gave away all kinds of resources, luxuries and techs.

Moden age
I had a leader saved for UN, and a prebuild in the ironworks city in case I would get Computers. And I did. But when I was five turns from Fission Takeda decided that they wanted to land troups by an undefended city in the ex-Mori area and declare war. During this last war they were only "Annoyed" but there was no time to make peace and butter them up. So I lost their vote, and Han's of course, and Shimazu's. But the others knew what was best for them. Call me Kofi.

Summary
The Japanese civs were annoyed with me for the most part in this game. This clearly shows that it doesn't matter what happens 50 turns before the vote, when Wang Kon's irresistable charm sets in.

I learned that I must remember not to have undefended cities if I don't want to go to war.

I should also have been quicker in capturing The Great Lighthouse. I had set my troups up for a Right of Passage violation and checked Goguryeos World Map only to see that they had landed in "Japan." So then I had to retreat and wait for the ROP to expire. The game would have looked completely different if the other Korean civs hadn't made contact.

The map was very challenging and neat. I enjoyed the graphics, including the (talking) flags.

Last Minimap, 1260 AD

Attachments

• minimap 1260 ad.jpg
    minimap 1260 ad.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 610
[ptw] 1.27f OPEN

Continuing from my previous post.

1040AD Motorized Transport, have to start flight. Pull citizens off all shield tiles to slow down palace.

1050AD Hmm, wasn't thinking, after starving for one turn, governor put the people back to work. I'm going to have to take drastic measures to slow down the palace. Pillage all the mines in the palace city. Move 3 workers to each hill to road and then rail and be ready to mine if we get lucky enough to get Fission free.

1080AD One turn to Flight and Modern Ages, Rails are in place on the hills and I have a bunch of workers waiting to mine if needed.

1090AD Takeda attacks Tokugawa!! The very first war on other continent (since I've known them). Flight done, get Rocketry! BLAH! Fission is 7 turns away! Oh man this is not good. I'm only 3 turns from palace and since I can only starve 1 citizen per turn I'm in deep doo-doo. Rush a couple settlers to plant nearby and steal some shield tiles. Notice that other civs have flight so they got it the same turn I did. Big help. :rolleyes:

1100AD Settle 2 cities and take 2 shield tiles. Rush 2 more settlers just in case.

1110AD Settle 2 more cities and steal 2 more shield tiles. THEN it dawns on me. I could have slowed things by half if I would have just sold the factory!! Sell it now to make sure.

1120AD Ok, palace is up to 6 turns, Fission in 4, will be no problem to add enough shields when it's down to 1.

1150AD One turn to Fission, destroy 2 of the cities I placed and mine the coal bringing palace down to 1 turn.

1160AD Fission, big picture, switch palace to UN, hold vote, and win a landslide 8-1 over Han for a Firaxis score of 6819.

So, I like how fast I did this, but still think it could have been faster. I need to figure out how to direct AI research better. I tried to steer them but it seems they either didn't do what I wanted or they were just too darn slow. May have to make the leap to Predator to combat this.

I also need to get the two cores further apart. Palace and FP 3 tiles apart was about the same as no FP.

Should have started free gifting (instead of selling for gold) earlier to increase AI research rate.

Should have started UN prebuild later. I was really sweating at the end.

I didn't really mention it much throughout the posts, but I was building mostly defensive units with a handful of cities to make sure my military stayed average with respect to Han. I didn't want any more wars, just peaceful, fast tech pace.

Mac 1.29

Ancient Age Thread.

Middle Ages Thread.

I skipped spoiler 3 because there was no difference in my game before and after mass production. The industrial age dawned with Korea at war with the last remaining continental civ, the Han. My 18 medieval infantry, steadily backed by more knights, encountered first pikemen and then musketmen, augmented by medieval infantry, longbowmen and riders. At first I thought I had bitten off much more than I could chew, but after several turns, the Han's productiuon back was broken. (Isn't that always a great realization?) In the end, I finished them off with cavalry, after acquiring military tradition in a trade with the other continent.

And what did the other continent think of my having broken a RoP treaty in invading the Han? I had hoped to polish them off by navigation, but I didn't come close. Fortunately, Plan B kicked in. I had sold all of the Japanese civs my maps shortly after first meeting them. And all of the usable land on my continent was taken. As a result, the AI ships never sailed up to the shores of the Han, even though they were occasionally a tile away from contact. And so - according to a rather tentative plan - my reputation remained unblemished with the potential UN voters until the end of the game.

It took me five turns to research electricity, but every other industrial tech was learned in the minimum of four turns. After total separate-branch cooperation from Japan throughout the Middle Ages, I expected some help in this era, despite expected detours with communism, espionage, and secondary medieval techs like free artistry. I gifted each Japanese civ just as I had since meeting them - I took what gpt was available, but everyone advanced the same turn I did. And what did I get? Industrialization and sanitation. This surprised me, and after a while I quit charging them gpt, but it didn't help. They were researching at a much slower rate than me.

The game's conclusion had a mildly comical twist. I had just settled the barb island, strictly for entertainment purposes. One of the few Japanese civs who still owed me gpt landed a single cav, and attacked my infantry on the game's penultimate turn. I had saved a Leader from the Han War to rush the UN, and did so in 1080 - one turn slower than if I had prebuilt the palace and used the Big Picture screen. The UN vote in 1090 was six for me and two for my new enemy.

What worked best for for me in this game was setting up the two palaces so that the entire continent was evenly covered, and gifting the AI with tech from late in the Ancient Age. (Perhaps as a result of the even gifting, the Japanese civs never warred from the point that I met them.) My entry into the Middle Ages was mediocre, due to the Baekje having been crippled from the start by me, and the fact the Japanese civs were far behind me when I met them. Knowing now that the AI research would slow in the industrial era, it may have been worth my while to quit taking gpt earlier... but I did need it for a while. Finally, I wasted four turns researching music theory, especially since I was beaten to Bach's!

Originally posted by Txurce
I had saved a Leader from the Han War to rush the UN, and did so in 1080 - one turn slower than if I had prebuilt the palace and used the Big Picture screen.
It needn't be so. At least with PC-PTW1.27 there is a trick: Place the leader in one of your most recently built cities and fortify it. Then when you learn the required tech, get a city window opened via the big picture screen or through the completion of a build order in one of your older cities. Scroll to the city where you stored the leader. Change the build order to the thing you want to hurry. Right-click and activate the leader. Exit the city windows and while the computer deals with the build orders of your cities you will see the build army button and the hurry production button at the bottom of the screen. They are pressable. Just press before the computer has dealt with the build order for the town storing the leader and don't press the wrong button.

[civ3]

It looks like I’m one of the few who did not go for Diplomatic victory . . . I’m such a warmonger.

Following Qitai suggestions, I was able to build the 4-turn warrior-settler combo factory and both my army and my territory grew quickly. At 1000BC I had 14 cities, 34 citizens, 23 warrior and 3 Bushi.

Korea became a Monarchy in 900BC. I build the Great Lighthouse in 610BC. In 230BC I built the Great Library and my GA started.

I did not dare to launch suicide galleys until I got the lighthouse, therefore I found the other island only in 550BC.

In 730BC I started an uninterrupted sequence of war by declaring war to Gogu. War against Baekje and Han followed. In 130BC the native island was united under the flag of Korea.

Great Library made me progress without cost, but in 170BC (after GL had given me Engineering) I started researching on my own and I got Samurai Code in 30BC.

I did not upgrade immediately. I waited for Invention (90AD) to build Leonardo Workshop with my 2nd Great Leader (the first was used for the FP) and saved a lot of gold in the upgrade of my Horsemen to Knights.

In 150AD the first 5 junks leaved Maokp'o to the new land. Shimazu were selected as the first victim and in 230AD I declared war on them. In 350AD I attacked Mori, in 460AD Kuroda.
In 530AD I discovered Military Tradition and upgrade my Knights to Chivalry.
In 630AD I attacked Kuroda, 720AD Toku, and Takeda in 840AD.
In the meanwhile I used other 3 GL to build JSB, Smith and Magellan.

Korea dominated the world in 850AD.

Megalou: thanks for ther tip. I'll go back to a save and see if it work on 1.29.

MarkCutt: very swift conquests. You may end up with the top score!

Top Bottom