New Wonder: Area 51

AK47

Retired Wonder Architect
Well, this is my first wonder attempt. Something for The Missing Links again.

Area 51, a top secret US military base in the desert, where supposedly they are hiding crashed UFOs and stuff, studying the technology.

I'm making this available with Flight, and giving it Double Research Output in the city, but making 2 citizens unhappy (after all, we don't like it if our goverments are hiding stuff from us).

There's no splash, sorry, but I have no clue how to do that. Maybe someone else wants to do it?

Ciao.
AK.

Edit 01/12/03:
Zip is now updated to the new building and includes the splash.

Attachments

• area51.zip
    87.6 KB · Views: 880
and here's the preview:
(Edit 01/12/03: original version replaced by this one)

Attachments

• 51large.jpg
    51large.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 2,032
Splashes are easy.

1. PCX-format
2. Size of 320x320
3. 256 colors indexed, with the two last colors of palette (two first in Photoshop - in PSP it's two last) not appearing in the picture

File goes into "Wonder Splash" folder and pediaicons.txt requires an entry. With vanilla Civ3 making the entry is tricky, with PTW or better, it's a cakewalk.

OK - thanks.
You mean there's only 1 image necessary ?
I thought this had to be like a sequence of flics or something?
I'll give it a try tomorrow then. It's about 3AM here and I'd better sleep now :D

Originally posted by AK47
OK - thanks.
You mean there's only 1 image necessary ?
I thought this had to be like a sequence of flics or something?

Just one. :)

Very Nice idea for a wonder :goodjob:
I think we all know the usa is hiding something there ;)

I made a wonder splash:

I think using just the "keep out" sign as wonder splash fits with the mystery of Area 51

Attachments

• area 51.zip
    43.7 KB · Views: 268
Thanks, Kenta. Cool.
Actually, I was just working on a splash as well. You people will have the luxury of choice !!
My version is now included in the .zip at the top of the thread. This is what it looks like:

Attachments

• area51.jpg
    area51.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 2,082
AK47, the small picture looks for me rather like an old faktory than a secret military base. (But if you wanna hide a secret base that's maybe the perfect camouflage ;) )

However, the wonder splash looks great :thumbsup:
I like it very much and will use it now.

yeah, well I didn't want it to look like a moden-day secret airbase, but more like a 1950s-remote-desert-vague-undefined-unsuspicious-abandonedwarehouse-Xfiles kinda building :p , which I think is exacly what it looks like:crazyeye:
I do have the start of an alternative "modern airbase" version, in case more people tell me they don't really like the current one...
AK.

I do have the start of an alternative "modern airbase" version, in case more people tell me they don't really like the current one...

I like the current one, and certainly love both of the wondersplashes, but Area 51 was beleived to have been storing Alien Materials after World War 2 (1947, I think) and, in some of the games Mods, World War 2 is included as the end of the Industrial era and the current age is represent by the Modern Age in the Tech Tree. As such, a second graphic could be used to make it era specific.

Another idea I thought of was, if it is a Wonder, it could expire with a Tech called "Government Openess" or "X-Files" or something, I dunno.

1947 is correct...
After something happened in Roswell ppl thought (and still think) the us military brought a crashed ufo and the dead alien pilots to area 51.

Personally I would prefer a look more like a secret air base, but this is fine too

After something happened in Roswell ppl thought (and still think) the us military brought a crashed ufo and the dead alien pilots to area 51.

I myself don't know what to think of Roswell. Some speculate it could have been an Aierial test using crash dummies and it was hushed up because, well, military secrets aren't the sort of thing you like to see leaked.

I completed the 2nd version, looking like an airbase, including UFO...
Now which one do you like best ?
Or should I just include both in the zip ?

Attachments

• 51large.jpg
    51large.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 1,560
I like the second version better. If anyone's curious, there are some satellite photos of Area 51 here. Scroll down to the bottom.

I love the 2nd version! Please post it soon. :goodjob:

Unexisted, your splash is great. The mist and the people pointing into the air give the picture a nice mysterious ambience.

Please both!
The second one fits great with your wonder splash. The first one I will use as a different wonder with Unexisted's wonder splash.

edit: typing errors

I hadn't considered this, but actually you're right. My 1st building and Unexisted's splash breathe the same kind of atmosphere (I think), while my splash and the 2nd building go very well together.
I'll put everything in 1 single .zip at the top of the thread, hopefully tonight.
Ciao.

Top Bottom