Creative History Department

FortyJ

Deity

background image courtesy of Digital Blasphemy.

Welcome to the Creative History Department. Our halls are open to all citizens and we encourage you to read our collected works and if so inspired, contribute to them as well.

Mission Statement

We are dedicated to the preservation of our nation's history. We shall accomplish this through posted contributions of the tales and legends passed down from citizen to citizen over the ages.

Staff

Co-Founder: FortyJ
Co-Founder: Cyc

Fact Checkers:
responsible for checking new posts to ensure that they do not contradict with existing story lines and that they are consistent with the actual game play (ie. no stories about tanks when we only have horses)

Graphic Artists:
responsible for creating the designs of all awards

Director of Development:
responsible for all fund-raising efforts

Security Guards: CivGeneral & Mara Jade
responsible for safe-guarding the Department and the documents within

Custodians:
responsible for general maintenance and cleaning of the facility

We will be accepting applications for these positions. We have limited funds, so we must rely solely on volunteers to fill these spots. If you are interested, please contact either Cyc or myself via PM by clicking on our names in the list above.

IRC Chat Rooms

Official Room: #demogame_CHD

Thank you for visiting. We hope to see you all in here often throughout the course of the game.

General Rules and Information

This is the official departmental thread for the Creative History Department. The actual history contributions shall be made in a separate, forthcoming thread. We will provide a link to that thread here once it is open. Do NOT post history submissions in this thread.

This thread is intended as a reference for the actual history thread. NPC information, timelines and such can be found here. Criticisms, complaints, suggestions and more should be submitted here to maintain the purity of the actual history thread.

If you use graphics in your posts and the images are taken from other sites, be sure to provide any and all required references. We don't want to break any copyrighting laws here.

Story Rules

1. Stories cannot contain material in violation of CFC site rules.
  2. Stories must be consistent with actual game events. Flashbacks and similar tales of past events are permitted, but flashforwards or similar tales of events not yet transpired are forbidden.
  3. You cannot kill other citizens in your stories.
  4. You can only kill another person's NPC with the creator's permission.
  5. Writing about your own demise in the history is tantamount to resigning from the game, so do so sparingly.
More rules may follow, so be sure to check here from time to time for the most current list of rules.

Official Links - Storylines

Main Story
City of Huntington
City of Montpellier

Official Links - Facts & Information

Original Tribes and Official Calendar

Welcome to the Creative History Department.

This post will be the place where we list the Official situational information. Here you will find Players, current and expired NPCs, other cities that we have communications with (maybe even other tribes), possibly a calendar of events, and other incidentals of the storyline. This post will try to keep current all relative information for easy reference as the storyline advances. If you are aware of an update that needs to be posted here, please post below. :scan:

Code:
List of Non-Player Characters                      List of Players
_______________________                            _______________

1. Jean 2                                         1. CyC
2. The Birdmen 1                                  2. FortyJ (40J)
3. Miko 1                                         3. Stuck_As_a_Mac
4. Gerra 1                                        4. CivGeneral
5. Runner 1                                       5. Rik Meleet
6. Luc 2                                          6. TerminalMan90 
7. Elder Bonalone 1                               7. Grandmaster
8. Marie 2                                        8. Donovan Zoi
9. Thomas 2
10. Phillipe 2
11. Gaston 2
12. Francois D'bourg 3 
13. Mara Jade 4
14. Tzara 3 
15. Rosee 6
16. Jon 6 
17. The Ooliga Ifrit 6
18. Cosette 2
19. Desarte 2 
20. Mattice 2
21. Jeanette 2
22. Jutagan 3
23. Armand Vandelay 8
24. Yumbo 8
25. Pepe LePew 1
Code:
List of Elders From the Original Twelve Tribes ~

Rik Meleet - The Marse Tribe
TerminalMan90 - The Touloo Tribe
Bonalone* - The Paree Tribe
Fancois d'Bourg - The Bourg Tribe
CivGeneral - The Reim Tribe
Peri d'Ami - The Ami Tribe
Orleroy** - The Orle Tribe
Octavian X - The Lourd Tribe
DaveShack - The Nant Tribe
Noldodan - The Troy Tribe
Amirsan - The Rou Tribe
Bootstoots - The Cala Tribe

*Bonalone passed his Eldership onto Cyc
**Orleroy passed his Eldership onto FortyJ and Plexus

To: Creative History Department
Re: DG4 RPGish Thing.
How are you Gentlement
You are on the way to destruction. Oh... sorry, wrong subject. My real reason for being here is on a matter very dear to me, the RPG. As we all know, the DG3 RPG was useless while the DG2 RPG was great. We (and by we, I mean me) are currently working on a version where stories go in the city threads. I am asking the C.H.D. to serve as an archive to store stories (in .txt format) and have some of our greater works, such as creation myths and long rambling tales posted in a spotlight for all to see.
All your base are belonging to us. You have no chance to survive your time.... Errr... I mean
Thank you
SaaM

Nice avatar SaaM.

The RPG system from DG2 would certainly need some very dedicated individuals to run it and I'm uncertain if anyone is willing or able to do so at this time.

On the other hand, Cyc and I both hope that the CHD serves as a launching platform for other role-playing sessions and historical tales in other threads (particularly mayorial threads). While we hope the CHD serves as the main thread for our entire civilization's history, we recognize the benefits of having subplots and other side ventures in other threads.

Thank you for your words of encouragement, and I look forward to reading some of your tales once the game gets underway.

Cyc and 40J,

Is it too soon to start writing histories? I plan to write something that predates history and is not dependant on our starting position or chosen civ.

Or are you planning to wait until the start of the game?

Perhaps I will get myself going and make it a flashback once the initial history thread is opened.

I can't wait to both contribute and see what others post!:D

Good job so far fellas :goodjob:

Thumbs up on the initiative guy, after all it's the stories we'll make as a nation together that make this game all the fun it is.
Hopefully, you'll be hearing from me :)

quoting Stuck:
I am asking the C.H.D. to serve as an archive to store stories (in .txt format) and have some of our greater works, such as creation myths and long rambling tales posted in a spotlight for all to see.

Am I mistaken in thinking that what you're asking here is for the CHD to be a repository for some of the great tales posted in prior RPG's? You'd like to store some of the more classic short stories in a scrapbook style here in the Office thread? If I'm not, then it sounds interesting, although I don't see a an immediate answer to your question. Let me think about this.

quoting TM90:
Is it too soon to start writing histories? I plan to write something that predates history and is not dependant on our starting position or chosen civ.
Or are you planning to wait until the start of the game?
Perhaps I will get myself going and make it a flashback once the initial history thread is opened.
I can't wait to both contribute and see what others post!

Yes and No, TM90. As you say, you can start on a storyline by yourself and develop it the way you want. But it is too early to participate in any joint venture in the CHD. Tentatively, the CHD is planning on opening the storyline thread around the Christmas Holiday. It will involve a "pre-history" angle that will lead to the begining of DG4. After Creation Day, we plan to follow the guidelines described in my post in Stuck's RPG Thread. As the initial storyline will be developed by FortyJ and myself at least until the second city is founded, your "pre-history" piece may be better placed in another cities thread. BTW, we can't wait to see what you and others contribute. :thumbsup:

quoting Charon:
Hopefully, you'll be hearing from me :)

We agree!

Cyc-
Thats not what I had in mind, but it seems like a great idea. Also, I didnt realise that was there. I am going to start a RPG Mainthread in this forum, to be a branch of the C.H.D. it will have the noticeboard for current stories, hopefully to be stickied. Also, we can have a sugestiob section for it. Well, ill make it.
SaaM

In relation to the RPG in the sence of former games, i think the RPG should somehow be seperated from the "creative" section of the Demogame.

It's hard to track the stories when they're all jumbled solely in all these organization threads.

At this point, Falcon 02, I agree. The collection of stories from prior RPG's should go in a thread dedicated for just that (if it is to happen). I also believe the CHD will only have two threads to run its operation. This "Office" thread and the "Storyline" thread. I believe Stuck were in error when he opened his new "Branch" thread, and that it should be deleted to eliminate some of the confusion.

Regarding the Past RPG archives, keep in mind that we now have a website as well. We may be able to dedicate a page to nothing but links to the chosen thread pages. I will need to speak with Fionn about this.

Also, I am a bit confused about SaaM's opening of an RPG thread so early in the game, although I am not sure if this is what was meant by FortyJ's comment:

On the other hand, Cyc and I both hope that the CHD serves as a launching platform for other role-playing sessions and historical tales in other threads (particularly mayorial threads). While we hope the CHD serves as the main thread for our entire civilization's history, we recognize the benefits of having subplots and other side ventures in other threads.

While I can see Cyc's objection to this, I would like to hear Forty's opinion as well. But for now, since the CHD has been the intended "RPG" concept for quite some time now, I am closing SaaMs thread to reduce confusion. If it is later determined that this site can be of use, I will gladly re-open it.

In the meantime, SaaM, I would encourage you try for a role that is endorsed by both founders of the CHD.

It seems that I've managed to create a little controversy and we're still 3-4 weeks away from even starting the game. Is that a record?

Regardless, please bear with me while I will attempt to address some things and hopefully clarify the official position of the CHD with respect to a few things brought up earlier in this thread. I think, that in order to accomplish this, we must first analyze the concept of our Role Playing Game.

I can't speak as to what happened in DG3's RPG, but in the DG2 version, it seemed to emphasize the game with a few offshoots into role-playing (the Fanatikan Underground, the death of Shaitan, etc.). The problem I had with that version was that the "game" portion of the RPG had virtually nothing to do with the actual Civ game being played. The events that transpired in the demogame had little or no effect on the "game" portion of the RPG or the "role-playing" portion of it either, with perhaps one or two exceptions.

What the CHD is attempting to create is a role-playing feature for the demogame that remains consistent with the actual events transpiring within the demogame proper. In short, we will provide the "role-playing", but not the "game" - that, we will leave to the demogame itself.

Furthermore, I hope that while the CHD will provide the main arc of our national story, I also hope that others will take up the calling and compose a number of mini-arcs within the various city threads and perhaps even a few citizen groups (a la "The Brotherhood of ______", etc.). The main rule being that we always remain consistent with the state of the actual game.

If Stuck wishes to incorporate some of the "game" elements from the DG2 RPG, I have no problem with this, provided that it does not pollute the integrity of our creative history. In fact, our rules on story submissions are clear on this: Content must be consistent with actual game events. Content based on those epic battles and other games that Stuck is proposing would therefor not qualify for submission in the CHD. I think it would be better conducted under the guise of an independent citizens group (ie. Wargames & Epic Battles Club, etc...).

In short, I believe there is room in the demogame for both the CHD and for what Stuck has suggested. I just think they need to be kept separate from each other.

<><><><><>

Now, to address some things mentioned earlier:

Originally posted by Stuck_As_a_Mac
I am asking the C.H.D. to serve as an archive to store stories (in .txt format) and have some of our greater works, such as creation myths and long rambling tales posted in a spotlight for all to see.
I was reluctant to say this before, which is perhaps why we have this little controversy in the first place, but I don't see this happening. Neither Cyc nor myself have either the time or desire to catalog stories from the various threads and convert them to .txt format. We will likely have plenty of work as it is (which is why we've requested volunteers to assist us, mind you) in simply maintaining a semi-current list of NPCs and general plotlines. If you are intent on archiving the stories, I suggest you look elsewhere for volunteers.

We will, however, maintain links to the various city threads that have initiated their own sub-plots and side stories consistent with the rules of the CHD. In that sense, we will serve as the central repository of our historical tales.

Originally posted by TerminalMan90
In a way, yes. Cyc and I have already invested significant effort into creating this office and fashioning it in a way that will be most enjoyable by all. As such, we are reserving the first post of the story for ourselves. This post will include some pre-settlement story and essentially set the stage for the first turns of play.

Having said that, I must also say that a creative writer could probably find a way to work a little pre-settlement history of his/her own into a post without damaging the storyline. ;)

Originally posted by Donovan Zoi
I would like to hear Forty's opinion as well. But for now, since the CHD has been the intended "RPG" concept for quite some time now, I am closing SaaMs thread to reduce confusion. If it is later determined that this site can be of use, I will gladly re-open it.
As I stated above, I believe that Stuck's proposed "game" feature can co-exist in the demogame independent of the CHD. I just fear that mingling the two will irrevocably damage the integrity of the creative history storyline. I would recommend that Stuck (or whoever is interested in participating in those Epic Battles, or land tile acquisition game, etc.) create those games in a citizen group independent of the Creative History Department.

<><><><><>

Thanks also to those of you who have already voiced your support of this department. I eagerly await your submissions to this unprecedented office.

Citizens of ____________,

Since last we spoke, 40J and I have knocked around a couple of ideas, set up a tentative scheduling for the Storyline thread, and 2 ideas have surfaced which you might find pleasing.

Our tentative schedule now looks like this; The Storyline thread will be opened around the Christmas Holiday. 40J and I will make posts to the thread throughout the Holidays and on into Creation Day. Once we discover what kind of terrain we're located on, we can start to firm up the story. That's as far as we've gotten in scheduling.

Because some of you have mentioned writing a pre-history storyline of your own, we were thinking that if, when our map opens up, a goodie hut or a barb camp was spotted then someone could start a temporary thread for it. This thread would be as a city thread, only it would be short-lived. But...if someone like TerminalMan90 or Stuck wanted to do this, their pre-history storyline could be developed independantly of our nation's storyline (just until their Culture melded into ours). On second thought (or sixth) maybe we could have these independant pre-histiry storylines posted right in the CHD Storyline thread. After that, maybe they could become Mayor of a city in that area and base that city's storyline on the indigenous people of the goodie hut or Barb camp they started with. What do you think about that? We could actually do it for every GH and BC we find, allowing our nation to be a melting pot of many different Cultures. One thing we would have to have is a waiting list for people that wanted to be officially assigned a GH or BC to develop. We also think that because of their above posts, TerminalMan90 and StuckAsaMac should top the waiting list, making them front runners to create an alternative pre-history storyline.

I believe we'll also be marking any sub plots in the CHD with a unique icon to help identify the individual storylines. Hope you like them. :D That's it for now.

Cyc

Originally posted by TerminalMan90
Sure. I could give that a stab. Short lived is good. I doubt I will show the mastery of some of the other writers. CHD, I can't wait.

Great, glad to hear it TM90. If you scroll back to my last post, you'll find that I edited while you were posting. It may be better to post that "short-lived pre-history/current Culture in the CHD Storyline thread. Thanks for the quick response. :thumbsup:

I think posting a pre-history for the lesser villages (ie. goody huts) is a great idea. Not so sure about the barbarian camps though - although they can certainly be a good source for a story or two.

I envision pre-histories for any villages posted within the main CHD story thread itself. Then once a new town is established in the general vicinity of any of those villages, we could provide a link from the respective pre-history post to that city's thread to provide congruity.

I also envision some awards for best submissions and such, so we'll be needing a graphic artist / designer to come up with some appropriate designs for each. To apply, PM either myself or Cyc.

There are many communities here in the US that were actually based on an "outlaw" origin. The same is true with communities throughout the world. Plymouth rock was a Barbarian Camp, for Christ's sake. :D We should take these Barbarian Camps for the opportunity they present, and use them as an independant Culture base for a citizen who wants to participate in the CHD. This could last well into other ages, as our initial exploration may have missed a small gathering of rebels. Even a Barb Camp in the artic regions would probably have women and children in it. I can't see excluding BC's if were going to take the approach of attaching pre-histories to map generated entities.

I'm sold. As long as someone is willing to write about it, I have no objection to including it in the storyline. Let's go for it.

Top Bottom