American Civil War II Scenario Development Thread

Procifica

ACW Scenario Creator
I've resumed work on a 240 X 240 version of ACW (regular ACW can be found in my signature, as well as ACW C3C, the Conquests version). This will be a complete overall of the ACW which many of you are familiar with. The larger map (over double the area, but same part of the United States) will allow for MUCH greater strategy.

If anyone would like to contribute ideas for this, please post in here. If anyone would like to join the ACW team, please let me know by PM.

There are already some ideas in the main ACW thread, though I'd like to move the discussion to this thread (see pages 101-102).

Currently I'm working on the new map, pretty much tile by tile (for the coasts) to ensure the utmost accuracy. The accuracy that can be achieved with this size map is incredible, cities for example will be placed within 10 miles maximum from where they exactly are, on the latitude/longitude scale (for reference, some cities in ACW are up to 25 miles from where they should be). Movement will be much more realistic, and fitting with actual distances able to be traveled. Naval combat will play a more prominent role. This is only the start of the possibilities, and I would value even more ideas for the upcoming project.

The acronym for this scenario will be ACW2.

I will post more information as I get more done.

**Alot of the work that has been done is periodically posted in this thread, so skim through it to see the progress made so far.**

Some useful scenario information can be found in post 149 of this thread.

Quick Information:

This scenario is being designed for C3C. If there is enough interest for a Civ3/PTW version, then I will make one.

Cities: 60% done (entire east coast done, Confederacy east of the Mississippi is done, Ohio/Kentucky eastward is done)
Terrain: 3% done (coast of the US from Maine to Galveston, TX is done, some of the navigable rivers are done, Lake Erie is essentially finished)
Units: 95% done (pretty much all units are finished)
Buildings: 0% done
Techs: 40% done (the tree itself is essentially done, but the other stuff to do with techs is not done)
Other Settings: 0% done
Indian Tribes: 0% done
Military Placement: 0% done
Road/Railroad Placement: 0% done

isnt there a Leaderhead from Conquests you could use

but does it really matter what you use since you can make locked alliances now and will never have to see them

We already are using an Abraham Lincoln leaderhead, and a Jefferson Davis custom leaderhead.

ACW2 for now will be made with Civ3 editor, until I can afford Conquests. I would though like to maintain a workable Civ3/PTW version even after I do turn it into C3C version, for those who don't have C3C.

This image of the North Carolina Inlets is an example of the amount of detail possible with the 240 X 240 map size.

Please keep in mind the terrain types there are NOT accurate, as I'm not filling in accurate terrain types until the map is complete (easier that way).

Attachments

• ncinlets.jpg
    ncinlets.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 2,326
WOW,

Love the detail.

I will gather what I can about the rail/road system and such and try to get it to you before long.

Just looking at the map I wonder if it might be possible to make a new confederate naval unit that would be limited to travel in the costal sea squares. It could be inexpensive and weak but would represent the small fishing vesels that were converted to warships by the south.

Jatutt

:eek: What a map, I can't wait to see the finished project!

Last Conformist, compare it to the area between Norfolk and Wilmington on the ACW map. Norfolk would be at the top of that screenshot, and Wilmington at the bottom.

I've also started placing cities in the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic areas, some areas will be a bit less crowded. Though, more cities have been added, so population pressure will be a problem.

However, if someone is able to make the Urban resource for me, I can alievate this problem. Though, I raelized I'll need a second jumbo one for the New York City area, as I have 3 suburbs sitting around it. I wish Brooklyn would have fit.

Whizkid, many many many thanks!

This is something I've been seeking ever since I was working on the initial beta of ACW.

It will work perfectly. :)

I didn't realize how extensive the rail system in the Northeast was, especially the connections to Canada.

Procifica, as you said in the old thread:

Eric, whatever information you could provide would be of MUCH help and greatly appreciated. Credit also will be given for you.

I dug out the game last night, there are 2 large maps,
one for the main theatre and one for the far west. They
extend as far north as NJ, so are not much help as far
as your original request goes. The manual for the game
runs to about 60 pages and has some reference information
such as list of leaders. If any of this stuff sounds useful, let
me know, I can scan it.

Procifica,

I also found a very detailed map of the rail system but it is limited to the south and as it seems whizkid found that excellent site I don't see that it would be as helpful now. If you do need more information let me and the others know and of course we will do what we can to aid your progress.

jatutt

Any additional information or sources is useful and appreciated. When I originally designed ACW, I used probably a dozen different resources to ensure complete accuracy as much as possible.

I would be interested in any and all maps and other resources.

My rails for the south were out of an excellent book by Foote, and I think they are probably as accurate as they can get. :) Though, I still wouldn't mind seeing the map anyways.

Here's a screenshot illustrating the chesapeake bay region. The map highly emphasizes important rivers during the Civil War (the Potomac, Rappahannock, and James are north to south from Washington DC to Richmond), which is why the Chesapeake Bay itself looks a bit messed up. These rivers were formidable barriers, and are presented as such.

I've begun placing cities in this region, and this is what will be covering the eastern 1/5 of Virginia/Maryland. Alexandria unfortunately did not fit as a separate city. Urbana is where McClellan wished to land initally before his Peninsular Campaign, and also is where he later landed to assist Pope before Second Bull Run. Taking it is meant to decide control over the Rappahannock. Williamsburg is meant to represent Yorktown, as Yorktown would have been too close to Fortress Monroe (the little Fort on there).

I'm not happy with how Manassas/Alexandria is set up, but its the best I'm able to do. Its where Manassas should be, and it sitting up against the Potomac represents its Alexandria part.

Here is the screenshot.

Attachments

• chesapeake bay.jpg
    chesapeake bay.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 2,110
To those who were disappointed that Gettysburg did not appear in ACW, it WILL be on the map in ACW2. Other cities important to that battle, including York and Frederick, also will be on there.

Top Bottom