My first game of Civ 3.

CornMaster

Romulan Commander
Retired Moderator
I bought it today. :D

So....I installed it and loaded it up. Then it went back to the desktop. I said "WTF!!! Crashed already", but then it continued. ;)

Kind of disappointed that there are no secnarios....but I don't play them often. Anyway....on to the game.

I started as Russia......I mean CornEmpire. On a standard world with 6 other civs. Planted my city. Oh my God the gold!!! The was gold everywhere!!!

Luckly the terrian and movement/order keys are almost identical, so I was able to explorer pretty easily. So I built a spearman for defence of CornEmpire Capital, then I built another worker. The first one was busy building a road over the mountians to the Gold. So my city was size 2. My border expanded because of my great culture. Then I built a warrior. Suddenly I'm almost out of money. WTF!!! Oh yeah.....units require gold instead of trade for support.

Now while this is going on my scout is exploring like mad. And I find more interisting resources like Gems, Spice, Cattle. I also see these mushroom like things growing on the side of the mountians...weird. So my warrior start exploring and I run into the mushrooms. "The Gahindi teach you writing" WTF!!! Those are huts! I wish I knew that!! So then my scout went to a few huts and I got a settler and a few advances.

So I built a city....but by this time I was down to 5 gold!!! My spearmen and warrior were draining all my money!! But my second city fixed that problem.

So my workers are building roads all over the place, and I'm still exploring...haven't met the AI yet.

Things that I haven't got working...and other gripes:
Build Queue - Can't figure it out
Tax/Science/Lux rate - Can't figure out how to change it
There are a few minor bugs in cursor placement while naming your tribes
And the music isn't great. Time to load up my midis. :D

Well....I'll be back later to continue...I'm in 2190 BC right now...so it's still early.

Well...there are 2. But I think they are just maps.

The game runs pretty well on my computer.

Now on to some recent interesting stuff. I just ran into what I thought was a White Civ, but they wouldn't talk to me. They have one conscripted warrior and one settlement. Of course....my scout can't attack so I just walk around them. Then I figured.....hey that must be the barbs!!!

So I will wipe them out shortly.

I figured out how to change the science and luxeries....anyway....I better get back to the game.

Keep reporting. It's great to see how the game plays. :goodjob:

Well...Installment 3.

Shortly after meeting the barbs to the northwest they started coming from the rafters!!! They chased my workers and settlers back to my cities as I braced for their attack. Bahhhhh!! Both warriors fell before my mighty spearmen!! One of which is now veteran. :D

My warrior (Which has been exploring for a LONG time!!!) finally met the American's. So they said they would introduce me to the French for 20 gold. Well I tried to haggle him down to 15...but he wouldn't budge from 20, and I accepted his offer. So the French want Cermoninal Burial and 3 gold for contact with the English....will I didn't want to meet them that badly, and tried to get it for 15 gold. No dice. So I broke it off there. A few turns later the Germans come into view, we trade some tech and go along our way. But two barb warriors just popped up near my new city, and my archer may be too far away!!! NNNOOOO!!!!!

More in a few minutes...

Well...I picked off one barb with my archer...but the other slipped by and sacked my city.....but they don't capture the cities...they just take gold. So they stold 30 gold :mad: and I got a reminder from my military advisor that we should bulk up. :D

Oh well...what does he know. ;)

Anyway...Back to it....

thanks corn person! I'm stuck in Australia :cool: (no Civ III untill November 20) so I'll have to live vicariously through your Civ experiences till then. Keep up the good work:goodjob:

im in australia 2 :D :mad: :cry:
(mixed emotions)
but its only 20 more days till it comes out so keep the reports comin:goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Corn, can you demand tribute? I don't see that option in the barter table...

Well....not a whole lot has happened. My borders have expanded further do to excellent culture from my capital....but my other cities have none. :( Got to build temples!!! Anywho....growth under deposism is almost non-existant!! My new cities have more corruption then I care to admit.

But I'm hanging in there. The Barbs. rasacked another city and stole 26 more gold!! Then I traded 50 gold, horseback riding, and contat with the Germans to the Americans for Map Making. I think I got a little ripped there!!! But ohhhh well.

I've taken out another 2 barb. villages so I'm getting some of my gold back.

When I discovered horseback riding I noticed horses all over the map!!! But none in my radius. :( So I built my first colony!!! And now I can build horsemen in my cities. I've almost completed a road to a German city, so then we can trade resources!! :D The game is pretty cool so far!!!

It certainly would seem reasonable that Barbarians invading your city not only makes you lose gold but also makes the city lose population points and happiness. Do they just take gold?

The AI also seems fairly inflexible in diplomacy, I hope they aren't always so obstinate or they will suffer from the same problems as in the previous games.

Thanks Cornmaster and Thunderfall.
I too am in the Land Downunder, but I am in WA, so I have to wait untill the 25th:cry:

BTW. What are the "toadstools" growing on the side of the mountains?:goodjob: :love:

Hey Cornmaster!

That is great! What a fantastic first game....but would you bulk up and kick someone's *ss...don't be afraid to be imperial...I'm sorry, I just want to see you take over the world :D

Anyway...thanks for the wonderful shots and look forward to more!

John

P.S. I especially like the shots of them talking...that's pretty good...

Originally posted by Robespierre
It certainly would seem reasonable that Barbarians invading your city not only makes you lose gold but also makes the city lose population points and happiness. Do they just take gold?

The just took my gold....but both cities were size 1....so it's hard to tell.

The AI also seems fairly inflexible in diplomacy, I hope they aren't always so obstinate or they will suffer from the same problems as in the previous games.

They aren't inflexable. Abe asked for Horseback Riding and Polythesiem in exchange for Map Making. But I didn't want to give him Polythesiem yet...so I added contact with the Germans, and 50 gold. Which he accepted. Pretty flexable to me. :D

All the screenies are sweet. Hmmm...that Domestic Advisor is looking sexier than ever. :love:

This demands for an ilustrated story. Pics with comments under it. Keep it coming.:cool:

Top Bottom