Game Of The Year - Speculation Thread

ainwood

Consultant.
Administrator
GOTM 27 is cracker's final GOTM. It requires no extra save files other than those required up to GOTM 25 (Mongols). He's been planning this one for a long time - 5 or 6 months, perhaps longer! :eek:

So what do you think it will be like? The only info that I know is that we will be playing as the Americans.

So go ahead and speculate!

:D

Well, I don't think I've been around long enough to say what it could be but, knowing cracker, it will be excellent. :goodjob:

You're killing me, I only have sporadic access to the internet here(Iraq), and don't know what i will have when we move to our next FOB. And now you tell me about this!
I started GOTM 26 yesterday, so I'll be good for a little while. I have met a few CIV 3 players (thank goodness for laptops), mostly HQ types but a few tech's like me.
Look forward to playing GOTY, just please hurry with the .sav, Cracker!

Americans? I haven't played them for ages. I hope the level is not too high. No cheap culture could mean we are open to cities flipping and a pathetic UU means that we can only get a useful GA through wonder building. I don't even seem to pick up many goody huts on the very high levels due to the AI's extra starting units.

My knowledge of North American history is not too strong. However I was originally thinking about the possibility of extra tribes but that doesn't seem too likely if there are no additional files to be downloaded. I guess I'll just have to leave the speculation up to people better informed than me but having just finished GOTM 26 I'm looking forward to it already!

If the attempt to reproduce actual history follows, I would expect major use of the "minor civs" that we have seen recently. Of course continents with America and quite a few minor civs on one continent, and everyone else on another.

Contacts will be interesting. When America started they had contacts with all civs, but I'm thinking we won't. So no contact until late middle ages is my guess. I would have said Diety, but we just had that. So maybe only Monarch?

However the above seems too straightforward. So I'm sure Cracker will leave something to be remembered by!

:hmm: No extra downloads means no new units, no new civs... So, either this is a plain, straightforward game on a random-generated map -and Cracker has been chuckling for the last several months- or we have to expect a twisted, wicked map on Sid level (the Conquest game ;) ), and maybe some mods to the tech tree or starting age, and who knows what else!

I plan to find out ASAP if it is a world map. If the prior units are being used on Monarch this game should be easy, except, Craker will have surprises for us. I'm really looking forward to it.

A few brief thoughts before downloading the file:

1. Cracker was never very fond of RCP, so I expect the starting location to be more OCP friendly and RCP unfriendly.

2. I'm expecting this to be a game that won't be won until late industrial or early modern, except for those at the SirPleib level :) with terrain (jungle, tundra, mountains or water) and opponents (the close by are aggressive and the distant are science trading partners) being tailored to increase the difficulty level.

3. We haven't seen the Iroquois, English, French & Germans in quite a while to I expect those 4 and probably the Aztecs, Vikings and Spanish. The English & Vikings :viking: will probably have an additional naval bonus.

I'm really looking forward to this and expect to push for early expansion (2-3 scouts) and will be heading down the alphabet->writing->map making path. I'm thinking this might be one of the few games where I build suicide galleys, so I'm going to head for the Great Lighthouse & the Great Library. If I get both I might shut off science and pump up the infrastructure.

I'll see you all in the spoilers :beer:

Top Bottom